Thread: Severe wrist pain

Hybrid View

Severe wrist pain

I've been experiencing severe pain in my left wrist for approximately the last 4 months. The pain occurs mostly during pulling exercises such as rows and shrugs, but also with heavy barbell curls. I do not experience any pain when doing pushing exercises such as benching and military pressing. Deadlifts cause some pain, but the pain is most extreme when rowing, shrugging and curling.

I think the whole thing started when I was doing heavy curls with an EZ curl bar. Or it might have been heavy shrugs with a barbell. I'm not sure exactly. I eliminated curling with a barbell(I use DBs now but even that causes pain) and I started doing shrugs, DLs and rows with an EZ curl bar but that really hasn't helped at all. It's gotten to the point where I've learned to accept the pain and work out with it, but I'm worried that I'm permanently damaging my wrist as a result. I'm also very scared that the same thing will happen to my right wrist, and don't know what to do. I tried using wrist wraps but they don't help. The pain lessens after my workout, but invariably returns during subsequent workouts where I do those exercises. Let me try and describe the pain.

Hold out your hands in front of you, parallel to the floor, with your palms facing the floor. Now rotate your wrist so that your palm is facing upwards. This act triggers immense pain in my left wrist around the edge facing my body, and the pain gets progressively worse as I keep rotating my wrist past the point where my palms are facing upwards. I have no idea if the pain is muscular, or related to my tendons/ligaments.

I've tried taking a couple of weeks off to see if my wrist heals. The situation did improve somewhat, but has always come back when rowing, shrugging and sometimes DLing. I don't know what to do. I think I'm gonna have to completely stop doing the exercises I mentioned for several months for the problem to completely go away, but obviously I don't want to do that. I've worked out very hard for the last 6 months and cannot tolerate the idea of stopping.

What should I do? I bet that if I go see a doctor, he's just gonna tell me to completely quit for a few months. Do any of you guys have this condition?

i've had wrist problems for months and delayed seeing a doctor and the situation became worse!

i would go see a doctor if it's nagging you!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

This is typically bad tendonitis. It is usually caused by two handed barbell movements, particularly curls, because the wrists naturally want to rotate as the elbow bends, and there is an artificial resistance.

The doc, if he's smart will tell you to rest, make sure it's not more serious, and then prescribe DB work in place of BB work.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    yeah i had something similar to this.

its definately tendonitis which happens to be common to the wrists or any tendon that is overworked or strained.