The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preferred Power Rack/Bench?

Hi all,
    I'm continuing down my path toward being a total recluse and am setting up a gym in the garage of my new house. Don't worry, I've searched and everything- this isn't a rehash of old threads.
    My original plan was to get a power rack and an olympic bench that would do flat and incline. I also want dipping bars and a nice feeling chinup bar- I don't care for the straight knurled ones that are usually on power racks.The little leg extension/leg curl attachment isn't that important to me if it comes with an added price and reduced bench stability/functionality- although I guess I wouldn't mind having it as an option in the future if I wanted it.

At present, I'm debating between the standard powertec power rack (this one, minus the cable stuff: http://www.powertecfitness.com/power_rack_system.htm) and one of the racks from new york barbells- probably this one: (http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/8510.html) because I like the chinning station and the dip bars are included. Maybe I'll add the cable stuff later, but I don't need or want it (or want to pay for it) now. I was leaning toward the Powertec because I like it in black, it's larger, and it's marginally cheaper, but the dip bars have a 400lb weight limit- I don't think that it's unreasonable to think that at some point Me + added dipping weight could exceed 400lbs- I'd hate to have that limitation built into something that I'm spending a chunk of cash on.

My original plan was to get a separate olympic bench, but again, due to the fact that the powertec bench has a max weight of 600lbs (I'm not there yet but if I'm dropping the $ then I don't really EVER want to grow out of this stuff- If I get to 225-250 and get my bench to the mid-300's that's pushing it) and the NYBB mega-bench costs as much to ship as it does to buy, I'm considering the option of buying a separate bench and just setting it inside the power rack (I'm leaning toward the NYBB super bench- rated for 1000lbs- it's cheaper than the powertec one, and although it doesn't have the leg attachment, it looks pretty sturdy). In my day of searching old posts, I read that El Pietro apparently didn't like this set up because the bench wasn't as stable and didn't allow for proper leg drive- I'll shell out the extra $150 for a full olympic bench rather than half-ass it if that setup would suck. It might be nice to have the safety bars as a pseudo-spotter as well, since I'll probably be working out alone most of the time.

So I guess my questions are:
    Powertec or NYBB for quality/durability/value?
    Appearance matters, but only minimally- functionality and quality are the most important. I want something solid that I can treat well and never have to replace.

Also, should I go for the full bench setup or will the stand-alone bench tucked inside the power rack work? If I go for the stand-alone, what are people's preferences? Unfortunately, I don't have a gym membership right now so I can't try this type of set up out- I may just get a day pass and see how it works for me.

I would like to have this stuff be the foundation of my workouts for a long time- and I'm willing to spend the extra cash if it's worth it, but I'm not really into the idea of throwing money away needlessly.

I'm hoping some of you vets (whose opinions I've come to really value) chime in here- I'd also like to hear any negatives that anyone has had with any of these, and if anyone has done any sort of A/B comparison/shootout, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks all.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have this rack. I can vouch for the strength and value of it. It's a NICE piece of equipment, and very reasonably priced. I got mine for just over 400 bare, with dip handles running about 45 bucks.

http://us.home.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/parabody_1

Here..I even located it for ya. Local dealers are gonna be a lot cheaper than one of the few online retailers..they can also sell them cheap, despite what they might price them at. Like I said, mine was 395 bare...

http://us.home.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/wheretobuyus

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I can also say that benching inside the rack is easy, and they have a NICE bench to gow tih it if you go that route. It's all well-designed stuff..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

powertec rack looks more sturdy

I have the entire Powertec system. Cage, bench, pullies, leg attachment, preacher pad, etc.

Overall it's a well-built system. I am very surprised at the 400lb limit on the dip handles though, I would say they can support much more then that but who knows. Maybe each handle can take 400lbs? lol

I am not overly crazy about the bench or leg attachment.

I like that the bench is on wheels and can be moved in and out of the cage with ease which is VERY handy but the balance is out of wack on the bench.

If I load up the leg attachment the opposite end of the bench lifts up in the air unless I am not sitting on it.

I just lay a bar across the back rest crossing it under the support pegs so that the bench can only lift up an inch or two which seems to work just fine. (See attached pics)

The opposite end of the bench tries to come up in the air when I am doing skull crushers as well, which is very dangerous. I have to stack 45lb plates on the footrest of the bench to keep this from happening.

If I use the bar hanger on the end of the preacher pad to hold the bar between sets the bench wants to lift up as well. Again I stack some plates on opposite end of the bench to keep it down or I can lay a bar across the backrest again like above. Seeing as I don't have to lay down during preacher curls it's just easier to throw a couple plates on the end of the bench.

All this moving and stacking of plates and setting up bars here and there is very time consuming and annoying, especially if you are trying to keep your rest time to a minimum between exercises.

Another thing I have found VERY annoying about the bench is that the handle to adjust the incline/decline feature of the back rest is directly under the seat and sticks out to the side. When I am doing incline dumbbell curls my left dumbbell will hit/catch on the handle causing me to loose momentum. This has caused me to fail to get one last rep in more then once, it's like hitting a brick wall right at the beginning of your lift.

The leg attachment is okay but like most home gym leg attachments it isn't really built for a serious weight lifter. It will only hold 5-45lb plates and will only take olympic plates. I have ordered some 100lb plates just so I can keep moving up on my poundage. I find the pad placement is very uncomfortable when doing leg curls as well. The pads usually end up half way up my calf putting a lot of the stress on my calf muscles instead of my leg biceps. I have yet to find a home gym leg extension that feels comfortable/natural.

Other then that I think the cage is very well built. The pullup handles work good. The pully attachment works great but will only take olympic plates as well.

The finish on the cage is very strong, I have yet to chip it or scratch it.

If I had to do it all over again I would still buy the cage but I think I would opt for a different bench that has all the same features and is easy to move.

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get the black powertec rack. I owned this, and haven't seen anything more sturdy at a store or in a gym. This thing weighs like twice the amount of other racks, has high guage tubing, and is a ****ing behemoth.

I left a bar with lots of wait just sitting on the pins for about a month and those things didn't flinch. The pins are very thick and solid, so I had no fear of dropping weight on it, while some other racks the pins looked real thin.

The bench from powertec was part of the first system I bought from them, which wasn't really a cage, and it sucked ass. Also, I believe that I found most of, if not all powertec benches were too high. An inch or two can make a big difference. Think of the leg drive, and how it is lost if your feet can't be firmly planted.

My advice, by the powertec rack, don't look back. For a bench, you can get commercial and light commercial benches from Keyes, bodysolid, etc that do incline/flat, for pretty cheap, and they are built well. I think the one I bought was from Keyes, and it felt just like a gym bench. Also, I think the powertec bench was a bit narrow. So trying to pull in your shoulder blades and get some drive off that was near impossible.

I'd say go test out a few benches, even if it's not from the store you are ordering from, and then order it. I can vouch for the commercial and light commercial line from Keyes and Bodysolid, but others I dunno.

The dip bars were pretty solid, and just because it has a rating of 400, doesn't mean you can't exceed it. I'm sure it's tested to well over 400 but they must list 400 as a max because that's where there COULD potentially be a problem. The behemoth leg press at my gym says don't exceek 1,000 lbs, but I wouldn't think twice about going over that.

I don't know how much you weight, but even if you are 250lbs, +150 on dips would be a fookin feat.

Don't forget the rubberized flooring.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

See- that's exactly what I wanted to hear... thanks guys!
    I am going to seriously consider that NYBB superbench, but I'll try some of those light commercial ones as well. As I said, I was leaning toward that powertec rack, so I really do appreciate the input. I will definitely check out some other benches though.

I know that +150 on dips would be pretty superhuman, but I don't think it's a total impossibility- also , if the day does ever come, I'll just drop the $40 on the 1000-lb rated NYBB dip bars.

I have a special plan for the floor- right now the floor is poured concrete, and I'm renting the house from my dad- I'd hate to drop a deadlift on that and mess it up, so my plan is to have a 3-layered floor covering.
    First I'm going to put down some 3/4" plywood, and then I'm going to try to cover that with some of those rubber-circle mats (like the kind in the kitchen of every restaurant/dishroom/factory that has a concrete floor- they feel hard but they really reduce fatigue), and then cover that with some cheap carpeting scraps. I figure that ought to both protect the floor and be pretty comfy to stand on.

Does anyone know if the cable attachment for the power rack can be purchased separately later on, or do I have to get it now if I might want it later? The fact that it's plate-loaded doesn't matter to me- I just didn't know if the cage itself is different on those models or something.

So anyway, thanks again ya'll.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

You should be able to mix and match either a plate loaded or selectorized pulley at any point in the future. It doesn't have to be from the same company as the rack. There are stand-alones for pretty much the same price.

I think the inch thick rubberized flooring would do a better job though. If you are worried about the poured concrete, you could double them up infront of the rack, or you can just have use the rubber for directly under the rack, and have a "deadlift area" just outside and infront of the rack, and basically just pile 2 or 3 8' sheets of plywood and deadlift on that. That's what we do in powerlifiting comps.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention, and this was a big oversight for me. Check to see how level the floor is in the garage. If it's off level, you may have to face your rack a different way than you had originally planned. Try doing a max bench when the bar slopes and you will find yourself in an interesting position.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Don't bother getting a bench with leg extensions when you're gonna have a nice cage to do squats.

Man, good thinking about checking that it's level- that really could change things...
    I'm not too concerned about losing the leg attachment- I DO have bad knees though, and I've heard some people say that it helps them to do a few light sets of extentions before squatting. I've never tried it though, so I guess it's really not that important.

El P- what rubber flooring do you recommend? My idea of using a kitchen mat got shot down when I found out that they're actually more expensive than most interlocking "home gym floors" that I've seen.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Either gym suppliers or Farm equipment suppliers will sell inch thick rubber flooring. It's not cheap, and it's heavy as all hell. Comes in 4'x6' sheets.

It's the same stuff commercial gyms use. I wouldn't really shop around much, most gym suppliers sell it at cost, I paid I think $70 for each sheet, but that's canadian, probably $40-50 a sheet for you guys.

I think there is also half and 3/4 inch but the thicker the better.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I may go the route of stable mats because they appear to be basically the same product but slightly cheaper, which works for me.

Any other opinions about this before I go out and start dropping some cash?
    I'm really excited about this gym idea, so the money is burning a hole in my pocket.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

If you are going to be working out without a spotter like I do I HIGHLY recommend Powerhooks, they are awesome! I use them for a ton of exercises, best investment I have made yet.

http://www.powerhooks.com/pages/859209/index.htm

PS I am not sure about the other systems you are looking at but you CAN purchase the cable system for the Powertec cage at a later date.

Those look like a pretty good idea- I prefer DB's for bench and I sure could use a set of those... then again I won't have dumbells in my home gym for awhile- any recommendations for decent oly-sized plate-loaded DB's, or are they all pretty much the same?
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

A home gym without dumbbells!!? Say it ain't so!! j/k

I am not really sure to be honest with you. I just have regular spin lock dumbbells. I am sure somebody that knows will chime in soon though.

They are mostly all the same. The only thing that you might want to test out are the collars for them.

Load an oly db handle at the store and check how well the collars hold the weight. If they have rubberized flooring somewhere, maybe load the dumbell to 140-160 lbs and drop it from waist height, see how much if at all the collar has shifted from the drop.

Also, hold it on end for at least a few seconds to see if the collar starts sliding.

Oh, and if you are a big guy, be prepared to buy a ****load of 10lb plates.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 07-07-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Oh, and if you are a big guy, be prepared to buy a ****load of 10lb plates.
    I'm not yet, but that's the plan.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I have the spin on collars also. got them after a couple 10`s fell on my nose lol.

Okay- back from the dead, sorry-

Guys who have the powertec racks- how did you get these delivered?
    It sounds like they'll only come during the week while I'm at work, AND you have to get the thing out of the truck on your own- if you want to use the lift gate it's $65- which seems like robbery.

I'm trying to think of a creative solution to this, but I'd like to hear what you guys did- as of now the plan is to take off from work early on that day, get my dad to come over with his pickup truck, back dad's truck up to the delivery truck, push the boxes out of the delivery truck into my dad's truck, and then back my dad's truck up to the garage and just lift them out.

I'm guessing there's an easier solution- maybe I should buy a dolly and figure out a ramp of some sort?

Thanks.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I picked mine up in my pickup truck. You won't need to use the power tailgate, the boxes aren't that heavy. Besides it'll give you a chance to use all your muscle, lol.

Seriously though if it's just going into your garage you will be able to easily slide the boxes off the back of the delivery truck onto the ground and then slide or flip the boxes end over end into the garage. I moved all my boxes in and out of my truck, into my house and down the stairs by myself so you should be fine.

I put the entire rack, 450 lbs in plates and an oly bar in my chevy malibu. Along with 2 4'x6' inch thick rubber flooring mats that weigh a fookin ton. I could fit a couple fingers between my tire and wheel well so I was ok.

Oh and I carried all that **** from my car in my driveway, through the front door and downstairs on my own.

It will come in manageable pieces so don't sweat it.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Alright cool, thanks fellas.
    I'll still probably take an afternoon off and help my dad out with it- he's going to start lifting with me once the gym is up and running, but I'm disinclined to make him start by unloading my power rack for me by himself-
    "Come on dad! This is what lifting is all about! Light weight babaaayyyyyyy!!!!"
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but-

I got my rack. Really pleased, but I have a couple questions for ya'll.

It's kind of dark metallic grey, but it looks black in the pictures... to the guys with powertec racks, are yours black, or grey? Maybe mine was cheaper because it was an older model with a different finish?

Also, my rack unfortunately sustained some freight damage on its trip. Most is minor cosmetic stuff, which doesn't really bother me (and I doubt a rack could get here without getting some small dings in the finish), but the grips on the chin-up handles are slightly torn, and the locking part of one of the safety catch bars is bent, so it won't go in correctly and lock.

I didn't notice the bent bar until I had already assembled the rack- what do you think the odds are that I'll have to sent the whole damn thing back in order to get a replacement bar?

One more- has anyone found a good supplier for plate-holder attachments for the rack? I just need somewhere to hold my 45's, all my little girl plates are on a separate tree.

Thanks.
    Last edited by RickTheDestroyer; 08-05-2005 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Spelling is hard.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Mine was black. I would whoever you ordered if from first, since it should be free of defect. You can also question the colour, but maybe grey is simply a newer one.

Or you can ask them to take it all back and replace it with a black one that isn't damaged.

If they can replace only part of the shipment, you'll probably have to just disassemble the parts that were in that particular box.

Believe me, I fully assembled and disassembled my rack 3 or 4 times, it's a sonofabitch to do too. My hand knuckles were raw from having to untorque all those fookin bolts, and there was maybe an inch clearance to the ceiling in my basement so I'm surprised I didn't punch holes in that either.

If it's still the same heavy duty rack, I wouldn't care too much about the colour, but ultimately make sure everything is in good condition, and if you aren't happy, make sure you are in the end. It may be a pain now, but get it over with, and get what you want, it's your money after all.

Current FFFA Enforcer