The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Started at 450 pounds, down to 295, what next?

On August 30 of 2004 I made a serious commitment to lose weight. I started at 450 pounds and I'm currently down to 295 pounds. That's over 150 pounds in less than a year for a 23 year old male. I'm about 6 foot 2 inches and my skin is really loose yet I feel like I have at least another 100 pounds of fat to lose before I'll have anything close to reasonable body fat percentage. I eat perfectly for 6 days and then cheat the next. My diet currently consists of 2000-2500 calories with 40% protein/carbs and then 20% fat. I avoid all processed junk foods, even on my cheat days. I've also been doing at least 30 minutes of cardio on an elliptical machine 5-6 days a week for at least 6 months. Before that all I really did for exercise was a lot of walking.

I recently got a gym membership and I've been spending about an hour a day with a mixure of swimming, various cardio machines, the pull up / dips machine, and a few other machines for rows, lying squats / calf raises, etc. I'm also training on those huge balls that allows me to stretch and do push up and crunches. Am I ready to start free weights now? Or should I stick with the comfortable machines instead? Or should I just stick with cardio until my body fat % is normal? Since I already have so much loose skin (ie. granny ams), I'd really like to put on a large amount of muscle mass as soon as possible. What do you all recommend as far as training for someone in my position? I have an appointment with a personal trainer but I'd like to get some opinions here as well.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey, first of let me welcome you to the board, I do hope you stiac around and dont disappear like so many do. Also loosing 150 lbs is quite an accomplishment. I would definatly incorporate free weight excersizes into your program, Machines are not the devil as some people may say but for overall strenght and muscle gains free weights are the way to go. start with low weights and lean proper form, it will pay of a couple of months down the line, Your diet seems on track and it looks as though you have your eyes on the goal. Try to get atleast 300g of protein a day and keep up the good work, A good startign routine for weights is WBB1, do a search for it and you will find a great deal of info. If you have any other questions as away.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

WOW

I can tell by your post that you went into this with a plan. I can't tell you how great the cheat day is too. I bet that keeps you from cracking, huh?

You are definitely ready for weights. You were ready to begin with, and chew on this...

A good, heavy workout with weights burns FAR MORE calories than the cardio.

Start getting your routine together (I suggest WBB1, which is in the dropdown at the top left of the site "lifting routines"), tweak your diet if necessary, and get to work. Stay with these forums, and keep learning...it looks like you've had no problem with that so far, though.

You'll probably want to set the diet up for 40/30/30 to aid in the weight training, but that's open to discussion.

EDIT My bro H0lywars beat me to some of it. Listen to his stuff..he's right-on.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-03-2005 at 07:12 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    Hey, first of let me welcome you to the board, I do hope you stiac around and dont disappear like so many do. Also loosing 150 lbs is quite an accomplishment. I would definatly incorporate free weight excersizes into your program, Machines are not the devil as some people may say but for overall strenght and muscle gains free weights are the way to go. start with low weights and lean proper form, it will pay of a couple of months down the line, Your diet seems on track and it looks as though you have your eyes on the goal. Try to get atleast 300g of protein a day and keep up the good work, A good startign routine for weights is WBB1, do a search for it and you will find a great deal of info. If you have any other questions as away.
    300g protein feels like too much to me. I have enough trouble eating 200g and the only way I've been able to do that is by eating a dozen egg whites each day along with a scoop of protein whey. I've also read some suggestions that my caloric intake should be at anywhere from 3500 to 4500 calories per day. That just seems insane.

Okay, The protein should not be hard, there is a thread on what a bodybuilder eats in the diet and nutrition section, check it out, Its realy not that had to get 300g a day. Have a shake with 1 cup milk and 2 scoops protein twice a day and you will be set. Also You should be getting about 2500 cals a day, If you do not get enough you will eventually stall because your body starts shutting down. Keep your metabolism up by staying in a mild deficit.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

I think his cheat days are keeping him from stalling, although at a lower bodyfat, it's gonna be harder to keep this up...

5/3/1 Journal

I agree, when you platue re-asses the diet, if what you are doing right now works go ahead, but if you are looking to gain muscle definatly need atleast 1g protein for every 1lb in bodyweight, at the bare minimum.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

I agree with that as well. You're on the right track, and doing better than 90% of the people who come in here the first time. I'm impressed...

5/3/1 Journal

Wow.. Very good accomplishment Wish I had the willpower you do.. I have to agree with the 1g protein per lbs. of body weight. Keep up the good work.. And when you get into a slump come to this forum and we'll help you out and keep you on track

This is probably a good time to ask this question since you guys are on the topic of protein

I've heard a lot when it comes to how much you should consume:
    a) 1g per pound bodyweight
    b) 1g per pound desired bodyweight
    c) 1g per pound of LBM

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Slaughter of the Soul METALASIAN's Avatar
    1-1.5 g per lb of your current body weight is the general guideline.
    Weight:160 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"

So this is it, my time to live.

I would say 1lb per lb bodyweight MINIMUM, meaning try to get as much as possible.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Slaughter of the Soul METALASIAN's Avatar
    I would say 1lb per lb bodyweight MINIMUM, meaning try to get as much as possible.
    You mean 1 gram per lb bodyweight
    Weight:160 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"

So this is it, my time to live.

The amount of protein you eat should be at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. However, this should not be done at the expense of eating more than your desired amount of calories per day. If it does than adjust your protein intake. However, protein supplements, as well as some other foods such as tuna and cottage chesse, contain a large amount of protein with very few calories. Therefore, most people should be able to achieve the 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight without hindering any of their goals. Just keep in mind that first and foremost you should make sure you are consuming the right amount of calories to fit your goal.

Edit: To the OP: I would do what works for YOU. You seem to have a firm grasp on how your body responds to different foods/amounts of calories, so I would stick to what works until it stops working. At that point you may consider tweaking the diet to continue your progress.
    Last edited by cosmicdebree88; 07-03-2005 at 08:40 PM.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

I usually suggest 1-1.5g per pound GOAL weight for people who are still significantly overweight. You can work it out per pound LBM if you like, but this is a reasonable ballpark for most people.

I found while I was still fatter that my protein requirement was lower than it is now that I'm leaner. I'm also finding that I do better with my carbs a little higher than I used to, and my fats a little lower, although I still feel more comfortable with a controlled carb, somewhat higher fat paradigm than most people use.

Major props for coming this far. You've had some excellent advise on this thread. I wish you every success.

You lost 150 lbs in a year... you are a slap in the face to all of those lazy people out there who have problems losing 5-10 lbs in a year. Congratulations man that is amazing.

WOW, thats amazing, you have alot of stemina to do that. I Wish you the best of luck with your health and I agree with Built, Eat 1-1.5Gram protein for GOAL WEIGHT. I dont see any reason to consume 400grams/protein for 295lbs when you still want to loose nearly 100lbs of fat. More people need to just stop playing games and being lazy and actually break a sweat instead of taking a dozen fat pills a day.

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    Sug, your exactly right. America has the highest percentage of obessity, than any other continent. I wonder why? Good job bro, keep it up! Hit the weights hard to fill those "loose" gaps!
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Dude, CONGRATULATIONS!! I have been in your shoes then(I was 5'7" 395lbs) and I am in your shoes now at 5'8" and 285lbs lol!

Hit the weights hard and shoot for 1gram per lb of lean body mass or a bit more if you have the room for it in your diet.. Why do I say this?? Well because getting 300grams of protein EVERYDAY is a pain in the ass and I found that I ****ed up on my diet many times because I don't like when I feel like I am "dieting" too much lol. I have also gained muscle and strength by eating 200-230grams of protein per day even while being almost 300lbs.

Keep up the great work and if you have any questions at all, ask! Have a good one man

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    He doesn't need 300 grams of protein. Dr. Peter Lemon who is one of the leading researchers in this field (maybe the leading researcher according to some) recommends 1.7-1.8 grams of protein per kilogram and states that he feels there is no need to go above 2 grams per kg.

Although he also says that a healthy person could likely go above that amount with no adverse health effects, this is not needed (particularly) if the person is trying to LOOSE weight. Why consume more protein than you need if you are trying to loose weight?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 07-04-2005 at 09:25 AM.

Extreme. He's a leading researcher in what field. Does he work with bobybuilders?

Banned
    Dayummmm son...You lost alot...Hats off to ya Despite what people say...Machines are the devil :evillaugh

I would base it off of LBM myself, but looks like im in the minority on that one.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Your results thus far are VERY impressive. The fact that you've been able to stick with your plan for nearly a year puts you in "rare air" compared to most people--congratulations.

As you get closer and closer to your target weight, you might want to find out how many calories your body is actually burning each day and then gradually reduce your daily caloric debt. In other words, if you're averaging -1000 calories per day right now you might want to gradually reduce that to -500 calories per day as you get closer and closer to your goal. One pound of weight loss per week takes a long time (and it took more patience than I had when I lost 50 lbs) but from everything I've read it's better for you in the long run.

I vote for keeping up the cardio work and (as others have suggested) adding free weights to your routine, starting with light weights until you get your form down.

--Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Why consume more protein than you need if you are trying to loose (sic) weight?
    Um, because it's so satisfying? Because protein has a pretty good TEF? Because it can be muscle sparing?

I need my protein high (I like my fats moderately high, too) when I diet hard. I'd be chewing my ARM off with hunger if I didn't.

Dr. Lemon suggests... (from http://www.sportlabdirect.com/learni...s_protein.html)

"Strength athletes: 1.7-1.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body mass per day (or 0.77-0.82 grams of protein per pound of body mass per day)"

and he goes on to add...
    "It is commonly assumed that diets high in protein are hazardous to health. Dr. Lemon claims that these effects apparently are exaggerated. The excess amino acids are broken down into carbon dioxide, ammonia and water to produce energy or waste. This breakdown occurs in the liver and involves the kidneys, which is why a diets high in protein have been accused of stressing the liver and the kidneys.

Yet kidney problems do not occur at a significant rate with strength athletes who consume large amounts of protein daily. High-protein diets are also considered bad for the heart because of increased fat intake. These concerns are exaggerated because it is only in animal, not human studies, that cholesterol levels have increased with increased dietary protein. The only legitimate concern is dehydration. The extra nitrogen being secreted from the body in the form of urine, takes away with it water. Athletes on high-protein diets must be carefully hydrated."

Personally, I'll stick with higher protein. It just feels better.