Wannabebig Member

how many of you guys where a weightlifting belt.......back question

I hurt my back in sept and its never been the same
    MID BACK
    now i'm seeing a chiropractor and i'm feeling better

so i guess i have 2 questions
    will a belt help me with middle of the back pain
    is there an excercise that will strengthen the middle of the back

I would do rows, what kind of injury is this, spine, muscle, etc?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    according to my chiropractor its muscle, so i'm going for a little rub down by her for the next couple of weeks
    injured doing flys
    backed locked couldn't move, on vacation in Punat Cana
    really sucked

Do light back work, if you feel discomfort take it easy.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

MilliVanilli
    Some here may disagree and say that you should never use a belt, so you build your core to be much stronger but its my personal opinion that if you hurt your back, you should go ahead and use a belt rather than risk injuring your back again and possibily more severely.

I have a bad lower back, even though I can deadlift 2 1/2 times my bodyweight. On squats, even light around 185lbs I still tend to lean forward if I'm not careful which can lead to more lower back pain. Whenever I go heavy on deadlifts, I belt up and most of the time when I squat unless its light, I belt up.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Where != Wear.

I don't wear one, never have.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I read somewere that there is no need, that its more of a mental safety then actually doing anything.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    I read somewere that there is no need, that its more of a mental safety then actually doing anything.

It definately helps. It keeps you from arching your lower back which could lead to extreme pain.

Try pulling 400lbs deadlifting when you weigh 150-160lbs. Without a belt I feel like I've been bent over and raped. With a belt its no problem.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by ianack4life
    It definately helps. It keeps you from arching your lower back which could lead to extreme pain.
    Try pulling 400lbs deadlifting when you weigh 150-160lbs. Without a belt I feel like I've been bent over and raped. With a belt its no problem.
    If your back is arched, it should be in a more stable position and less prone to injury than when hunched over. Back flexion is usually what does people in - the belt adds support to your abs and stability to your core.

Speaking to the original post, I'm assuming your injury was to your rhomboid or maybe external rotator cuff related? If that is the case, a belt probably won't do much for you. Injuring it on flyes is unusual and you probably need to focus in on your upper back work for a while (rows, bent over laterals, chins, etc.). Also, pay closer attention to your form when lifting. Lastly, a stronger core is always a good thing.

edit: I wear a belt when I am doing heavier squats and deadlifts and sometimes rows, but that's about it.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-06-2005 at 04:00 PM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I don't wear a belt, but I only weigh 145 and pull reps for like 155 right now. I'm assuming I'd use one later on.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I never wear a belt when I deadlift. I've never felt I've reached that level yet where I needed one. Granted I'm not at 2.5xbw but close 415 at 180

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I don't think a belt is your answer. Working yourself slowly back into things and keeping strict form is.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    I don't think a belt is your answer. Working yourself slowly back into things and keeping strict form is.
    Last edited by Drheckler; 07-06-2005 at 05:28 PM.
    Current: 5'8 165lbs

dont forget to wear your belt while benching guys, gots to get your support....
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

I read somewhere that a belt should be worn when lifting more than 85% of your 1RM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.