Thread: heavier plates vs lighter plates

Wannabebig Member

heavier plates vs lighter plates

hey,

i recently accomplished 3 reps on 80 kg when the bar was loaded with 2*20 plates and 2*10 plates. the next week i went to the gym and this time loaded the bar with 6*10 plates (80 kg total weight again) and this time achieved 8 reps quite comfortably.

the heavier plates seemed to make a difference - ok it was a week later but still would this account for 5 reps! which has never happened before.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I don't understand your question.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

80kg=80kg so unless the 10kg plates weigh less than 10kg or the 20s more than 20 it is the same weight.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

lol yup
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    I understand what you are saying that since the larger weights kept the center of balance closer to the middle of the bar, it appears to be easier to lift however, maybe it was phsycological or maybe it was just the weeks rest that got you the extra reps, however there was not enough weights strung out on the bar to throw off the balance if it did come into play. For the most part, if the weights are balanced evenly weight is weight.

The principle behind your thought patterns here are comparable to lifting a 45 lb db with one hand is easier to do than lifting an Olympic barbell weighing the same amount with one hand.
    45 yrs old
    5'5"
    175 lbs
    340 bench
    495 sumo deadlift
    505 squat
    all raw lifts unofficial

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    trainerSI I understand you, but I still don't understand that tangle of mess above.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    If you can't read, of course you won't understand it.

He is saying that he could do more reps with 80kg when using lighter plates than he could with heavier plates.

My only advice is to try to reproduce the phenomenon again, and your conclusion might be that what happened was only a coincidence.

i think its 100% physchological. there wont be that much change in stability.

especially since more 10kg plates would push the weight further away from the centre of the bar making the bar less stable and harder to lift
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Banned
    I get what ur sayin bro...its most likly a mental aspect of it...your looking at the bar and going thats a lot of ****ing plates where as the less amount of plates would give you mental confidence once again never under estimate the human brain