The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Lifts increasing, BFdecreasing

About 3 months ago I decided to slim down a bit, so I made a few basic changes as listed below:

1. Switching to diet coke - I once tried to cut out soda all together from my diet, but I got discouraged and stalled on the dieting, so I found diet coke and pepsi are the way to go. I try to keep my water up, 2 glasses every hour.

2. Cutting out ALL junk food - I no longer eat junk food at all. I haven't seen a McDonalds burger since I started the diet. The last time something fried went in my mouth was a long time ago.

3. Choosing the appropriate time to eat - Some nights I finish work at midnight and don't get back home until about 1am. I used to stop over at McDonalds for a late night feed, or even go home and eat before bed. Now I will either take food to work so I can eat at 8pm. I've found that protein bars keep the hunger away, and it's really easy to take a small tub of VP2 to work and mix with a bottle of water.

4. Emphasizing CLEAN foods - I now say 'no' to salt, oil, butter, margarine, sauce and all the other crap when I eat out. For example if I have to eat subway, none of the above. Just roast chicken, and salads. No condiments.

By following this plan, I have lost quite a bit of weight. My pants are super-loose now, and my belts need replacing. I don't weigh myself since I do weight training as well and I learnt long ago not to trust scales, and I don't know how to calculate bodyfat. I'm down from a size 40 to a size 38. I aim to be a 34 by the end of the year.

My question is this. Will I be able to keep dropping fat but gaining muscle and strength if I continue the way I am going? Anyone foresee any problems with getting down to about 8%bf with my current plan?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I dont think you will be able to get to that low of a bodyfat without tracking your micros. i.e calories/protein/carbs/fat. IT is easy to drop weight just by adjusting your lifestyle when you are at a higher bodyfat % but when you get down to the lower % and you want to keep as much muscle as possible i think you will need a proper diet worked out and adjusted over time. but i may be wrong you may be able to do it.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Quote Originally Posted by DAN13L
    My question is this. Will I be able to keep dropping fat but gaining muscle and strength if I continue the way I am going? Anyone foresee any problems with getting down to about 8%bf with my current plan?
    8% body fat is not something that just happens unless you are 16 and have a very very very high metabolism. It takes alot of work, a lot of planning and very few people IF ANYONE is at their strength peak at 8% BF.

I have to agree with everythign that has been said here, the older you get the harder it gets, 8% taes planning, diet and workout.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

speaking of the 16 year old who has a very very very high metabolism. I can eat 4000-5000 calories a day and not gain a pound. I just kind of gave up trying to bulk.
    bench: 290x1 (vid of 285 http://youtube.com/watch?v=NbXh7BKArxE )
    squat: 300X1
    deadlift: 420X1
    age 17
    5'9"
    175 lbs

lol, dont give up, eat 5000-6000 cals, its not that hard. Plan it out, anyhing can be done with a little work.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    yep you should replace a bowl of cereal for 2lbs of protein for your breakfast then

I do not believe you would be able to reach 8 % bf with your diet now, you will definitely need to track your macros once you get below 13-15% It's all for the best though.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    What are macros?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

macro nutrients like proteins carbs and fats they are called such because relative to other nutrients you need a ****load of them. think about 200 grams of protein, thats almost a half pound of protein.

so at the rate of 1 gram per lb, in two years time you would eat WELL OVER your bodyweight in protein! that is so funny to imagine.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 07-06-2005 at 02:43 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by need4muscle
    speaking of the 16 year old who has a very very very high metabolism. I can eat 4000-5000 calories a day and not gain a pound. I just kind of gave up trying to bulk.
    Sit absolutly still and have someone constantly liquidise food and feed it to you through a tube - wouldnt want to waste calories chewing

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by need4muscle
    Dood, there are people who have to eat 7000-8000+ calories a day, sometimes more, to gain weight. And you're giving up at 5000? Pfft.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

giving up trying to bulk was kind of a joke. I'm trying to eat more
    bench: 290x1 (vid of 285 http://youtube.com/watch?v=NbXh7BKArxE )
    squat: 300X1
    deadlift: 420X1
    age 17
    5'9"
    175 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Although to what extent would I have to track macro's?

Here's an example of my diet, which I try to stick to on a daily basis.

*Breakfast is a tuna sandwhich on wholegrain w/ lettuce
    -Protein shake
    *Lunch is in most cases either half a roast chicken or a subway 6inch, no extras just lettuce and what have you,
    -Protein shake
    *Dinner in most cases is a big arse steak or chicken fillet with salad. Sometimes I'll have fish instead.

Due to work, I have little flexibility as to how much I eat. During the 9 hours I work per day, I can only eat once.

Keep in mind I do lift 6 times a week, so that's what the shakes are for. I want to try to keep protein up while minimizing calories as much as possible. Excessive calorie-loaded foods are out, such as donuts and what have you. I also do 20 minutes cardio 6 times per week to aid with fat loss.

Cutting/Bulking cycles just don't seem to do it for me, but I know most people do tend to run in cycles. Anyone foresee any issues i'll run into? Also, the shakes...good or bad?

One more thing, I know a lot of people who've lost weight by going straight into a cut cycle, and they end up with lots of sagging skin. Can this be prevented in anyway? I might add that since i'm slowly dropping my bodyfat but my muscle size is increasing, I don't have this problem (and I hope I never do).

-Danny

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    That diet is alright, after time you will need to evaluate it again. The shakes are good, cause its more protein that means more muscle if you put the work into it! Anything can be prevented, just lose fat slower than what you would.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

tracking micros properly has helped me with my training and i will be tracking them as accuratly as possible during my 30 week cut
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

i was reading a short article about this strongman/powerlifter dude... it says he eats like 10,000 calories a day. It's crazy to imagine a guy eating 4 times as much as I. hahaha
    Last edited by DNL; 07-07-2005 at 12:36 PM.