Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running in the AM

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    I do HIIT cardio and my weightlifting first thing on an empty stomach. I just got used to it from doing it so often.
    but do you do that also when you are not "assisted"

I do all my cardio(steady state, or HIIT) in the morning on an empty stomach. I don't have any problems, except for the first week I'm usually tired cause I'm not use to getting up and running yet.

There would be nothing wrong with getting a quick bite before running though. If it would make you feel/perform better, then by all means do it.

As for your stomach expanding out, lol, well as much as most of us eat our stomachs expand out a lot after every meal.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bIgHwN86
    is it really that hard for you....i mean i have the same feeling in the morning but WHAT I DO is when my mind keeps begging me to go back to sleep/get a bite to eat, i just say to myself "**** you" then i get up change, grab my bag and CD player and go before my mind has a second chance to get me again....and i am one of those guys that swear that running in the morning on an empty stomach is the best way to burn fat.....you can look it up yourself if u want proof...go to bodybuilding.com or just google it
    Hey bighwn, if you know what's good for you, you won't go to bodybuilding.com anymore. I swear, there is so much BS on that site.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Built: haha, I have no idea. But I don't care, seeing as how I've never looked better! I guess through my cut I just got used to working out first thing in the morning. It is when I have the most energy to do it, so I get the most benefit. Now I despise working out in the afternoon. It's funny, because once I started ignoring all the stuff people post that you're "supposed" to do and started just listening to my own body, that's when I started getting where I needed to be.

Ryu: Yes sir, I've been off for about 4 months now and I'm still progressing the way I'd like to!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I wannabebig!
    if i listened to my body id be munching on ice cream while I type this

LOL, you gotta cheat sometime.

Hmm by the way, I also superset every exercise and work each muscle group 2 or 3 times per week. :evillaugh
    Last edited by Beast; 07-09-2005 at 06:04 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

I work each muscle 3x a week. Want a cookie?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Looking at your stats, I think you should give away all your cookies.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

I don't eat cookies sir.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    I don't eat cookies sir.
    Damnit. And I was craving a cookie, too.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Looking at your stats, you probably shouldn't have a cookie.
    Lifting Journal

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    fix- ya i know bodybuilding.com has a lot of BS...but there is some very insightful stuff in that site as well as i have only been lookin at the transformation section of BB.com...i've seen lots of BS on that site, all the way down to carrots being bad for u when cutting...jesus...carrots bad on a cut!...next thing they will say is that creatine makes u fat...

lol...yeah, I'm sure some of the stuff on BB.com is correct but don't be fooled by everything they say. When in doubt, come ask WBB.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    I do HIIT cardio and my weightlifting first thing on an empty stomach. I just got used to it from doing it so often.
    I tried that in the past, and all it does it make for lousy workouts.
    Where are your abs? Start looking for them in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    lol...yeah, I'm sure some of the stuff on BB.com is correct but don't be fooled by everything they say. When in doubt, come ask WBB.
    BB.com is like sifting for gold...you have to sift through a lot junk, but there are some nuggets of gold.
    Where are your abs? Start looking for them in the kitchen.

I do AM cardio 7 days/week when cutting. I didn't notice any significant muscle loss while doing last year, and none yet this year. I just get up, drink some lemon water with ALCAR, drink a cup of green tea, then hit the road for 45-60 minutes. Be sure to use a heart rate monitor to keep your heart rate in the 140ish zone. Fat drops quickly this way.
    Big? Not really. I'm 5'7" 196 lbs.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Bodyfat currently at : dropping
    Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Squat - 600 (belt & wraps)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

----------------------------------------------
    Itís a birdÖ Itís a planeÖ nope, itís me soariní past everybody.

Well, I'm just jogging now in the AM. It seems to have gotten easier now that it has been a week or so. It's even easier once you get on the road. I eat once I get back. How long do you guys wait?

If im cutting i would say an hour, thats just me. IF im bulking right when i get back. I usually just feel it out, i get home relax, take a shower, then prepare whatever im gonna eat, so ~1hr after.

the body for life diet says 1hr after running.

ok, so my question is if you're going to be eating the same amount of calories that day anyway why not eat some before you do cardio. I mean if you burn say 100 cals (just for example) wouldn't it be better for those to come from food and your body than burning 100 cals from your body (which debatibly could be from muscle) and then eating the same amount of food later, none of which will be burned off for cardio?

My point is 'when' you do cardio doesn't have an effect on calories in vs calories out right? So why not do cardio when you don't have to be concerned with losing muscle because of it?

well, thats my point exactly though. Isn't it a better idea to burn a combination of your body and your food than just burn calories from your body and then put the same amount of calories from food in later? I'm not saying your wrong I'm just asking because I don't understand...

I don't know the answer to your question wrestlemaniac, but all I know is that if I try to run first thing in the morning without eating, I wouldn't be going as intense as I could if I had eaten a light meal beforehand.
    Lifting Journal

Why run at all?

Cardio is a very small part of a sucessful cut. I guess if it's for health reasons, that's a different story.

Lyle McDonald said himself that the calories burned during cardio are pretty inconsequential.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Yeah, well, cardio is like weightlifting in a sense. Youd could be strong but can't run for beans, I want to be able to do both to a certain degree. Most people participate in cardiovascular activities where it would be beneficial to be able to jog a half-decent distance.