Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Running in the AM

Well, its a personal thing I guess.

I see cardio (jogging) as a knee destroying, muscle-wasting, pain in the arse. I have one friend who is a very serious jogger, runs 25kms/week. The guy is bone rack, the wind could knock him down. I don't know, the whole thing just screams "catabolism" to me.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Yeah, well you can protect your knees in many different ways. You could try cardio such as biking or canoing. I find it extremly helpful when I play sports to be good at cardiovascular activities, as well as strength.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    So, I guess quite a few people here like this. I'm not sure if I like it yet, and I had a few questions/concerns. Does anyone else find it hard as hell to run in the AM (before eating)? I don't have any calories in me so I run and feel like I'm going to crash immediatley. Also, since my stumach is skinny in the morning (before I eat), it makes my stomach ultra thin, but when I eat it expands out again; normal? Would it be bad to take a bite of something before I go and run?
    Running in the AM without eating has more negative effects than it does positive ones. Now if you are:

1. Severely overweight
    2. Been dieting for a while and just need to lose that extra tad of fat

Then in my opinion I think it's worth it. Otherwise I don't think it's worth it.

There are some really good older threads on the topic that discuss the pro's and con's in detail, they can get pretty technical though and they are really long threads also, so much to read. Overall, from reading all those threads, I believe it's more of a bad thing than it is a good thing if you are a regular guy just trying to get in shape.

Well I was trying to do a mock-cut and wanted to do AM running because I heard it was helpful

What is a "mock-cut" hehe. Never heard that before.

Hahaha. This is my first time throught the dieting cycle and I had many faults that I had to correct as I went along so things didn't go as planned to well. I'm just finishing up now to understand how things work. I am doing okay, but not as well as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    Hahaha. This is my first time throught the dieting cycle and I had many faults that I had to correct as I went along so things didn't go as planned to well. I'm just finishing up now to understand how things work. I am doing okay, but not as well as I could.
    Oh hehe. I know the feeling, my first cut was somewhat of a disaster. I lost 30lbs but I lost too much strength in the process. My current cut is going better, still not where I want to be yet though, it's hard to stay on track, especially when it comes to diet. Goodluck!

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    Built: haha, I have no idea. But I don't care, seeing as how I've never looked better! I guess through my cut I just got used to working out first thing in the morning. It is when I have the most energy to do it, so I get the most benefit. Now I despise working out in the afternoon. It's funny, because once I started ignoring all the stuff people post that you're "supposed" to do and started just listening to my own body, that's when I started getting where I needed to be.

Ryu: Yes sir, I've been off for about 4 months now and I'm still progressing the way I'd like to!
    Are you still cutting, or what are your current goals?

I wasn't on anything when cutting. I'm currently cutting now, and I've seen great progress thus far in dropping fat. I follow the teaching of Chris Janusz, aka swolecat. He preaches this method, and it definitely works great. As for quads, I blew a disc in my back 2.5 years ago, so legs aren't something I can do much of. I haven't done much in the way of squatting since I hurt my back, but my legs still come in around 27". Running/jogging has helps them build a bit actually.

I'm all for morning cardio (slow, steady-state cardio). It seems to not burn any muscle for me, and fat drops of quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Supir, you natty, or no? 'Cause if I did this, I'd have no quads left.
    Big? Not really. I'm 5'7" 196 lbs.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Bodyfat currently at : dropping
    Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Squat - 600 (belt & wraps)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

----------------------------------------------
    Itís a birdÖ Itís a planeÖ nope, itís me soariní past everybody.

I destroyed my quads last summer doing empty AM bike rides, going too long and too hard.

I walk for AM empty cardio now, and it's fine. But fast walking only, and for about 20-30 minutes.

There seems to be a lot of variability on this one. Maybe it's my age, or the fact that I'm natural and female? Dunno.

It's a puzzle.

Well, when I run, it's almost always right after I wake up; I get the best run this way and it's out of the way.

Anyway, I usually:

1.) wake up and get dressed for running
    2.) grab a Natures Valley 100% natural granola bar or yogurt or something equvalent in size
    3.) a big glass of water

On the drive to the track (around 15 mins), I just sip on the water; end up drinking around 1/4 of the cup.

By the time I have to run, I'm not *starving* but still real hungry yet I feel I have a little energy boost to keep me going without getting dehydrated or cramping up from too much food.

Works good for me...

--Dan.