Thread: My shoulders suck...

My shoulders suck...

Well, maybe not suck, but they are very different from all my other body parts. They fail not quickly, but immediately.

To clarify. On say, bench, for say, 6 reps, I get the first three just fine as you please. The fourth is a little slower. The fifth I can feel it topping out. The sixth, I get about halfway up, it kinda stops for a moment, and finally the movement is finished. That's when I really doubt I'll get another one, and rarely do.

But with the shoulders, I go pretty good--the first three, pretty good. The fourth, like bench, is a little tougher. But then, wham!, failure. Maybe a quarter of the way up, and then nothing. Done. Seemingly out of nowhere.

it's been like that since I was a kid.

Any thoughts?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Well the same thing happens to me on the CG Bench Press. So you're not alone. Maybe your shoulders just don't have very much endurance? Just a guess.

Also, are you lifting with a good meal in you and are you drinking water? Maybe you need more hydration.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Try doing lower weight for 8 reps, then SLIGHTLY more till failure, when you get the second numebr for 8 increase. Some bodyparts are just stubburn
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

1st: the eating & drinking aren't a problem.

2nd: it doesn't seem to matter what the warmups are. I just go along and wham! done. Unlike the the other exercises where I can feel the failure coming, with the shoulders it just happens.
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Is it hurting your progress? Do you still make gains?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

A little, but I feel it could be a lot more.

Man I wish I knew the answer. Haha. Maybe someone more educated can give you an answer.
    Lifting Journal

I have a similar problem with my shoulders. Doing db shoulder presses lately using 45lbs db's I get 10 reps on my first set, 8 on my second set then..... ZERO reps on my third set, I can get them maybe halfway up. These are the only exercise I do directly for shoulders.

How low are you going with the movement. Sometimes if I use a too large of a ROM I can "bottom out" and fail prematurely, whereas if I use 75% of the ROM I can get several more reps in.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

I'm going from as low as I can possibly get them to not quite locking out... basically a full ROM

Well, on all the lifts I do 100% ROM, but I don't see how 75% ROM will help...the failure usually ahppens during the first 25% of the lift.

I think everyone gets the immediate failure when using dumbells. I know I do, and it can be scary to see 70lbs in each hand coming down without warning!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Always had it w/ the barbell, too. Only w/ the shoulders.

maybe they're just really weak in comparison to your other lifts?

like, your chest can handle more bench than the delts will allow?

i dunno...

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

None of my lifts have failure like that. Not chest, not back, not legs, not arms, not traps, not abs. It's uncanny.

but growing daily!
    This is only a guess but the primary movers in the exercise are the lats, chest and deltoids. Lats and chest being significantly stronger then the delts with lats being the biggest muscle in your entire body.

On the rep before your fail miserably you move the weight through the range when the delts are isolated and fatigue them however, your deltoids fatigue out but your chest and lats are in a position to take over the load now but as soon as you move the weight back into the deltoid isolated position bam, chest and lats are no longer adding synergy to the lift and a large portion of the load is now placed back on the exhausted delts.

You can try explosiveness maybe to get past that sticking point and use nice slow 4 second negatives on the way down.

Zygote

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    The ROM on a overhead press is far greather to the ROM on a flat press. Thus your triceps will be taking more of the load in the lower portions of the lift, causing you to fail prematurely.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    The ROM on a overhead press is far greather to the ROM on a flat press. Thus your triceps will be taking more of the load in the lower portions of the lift, causing you to fail prematurely.
    Ditto. I'd work on tricep strength. When I do overhead press, my shoulders fail before my tris.

--Dan.

try encorperating some rotator cuff work... worked for me
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Perpetual Hunger
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I think everyone gets the immediate failure when using dumbells. I know I do, and it can be scary to see 70lbs in each hand coming down without warning!
    Same thing just happened to me today. It hurt......

Atleast you guys get to use 70lb dumbbells
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!