Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running in the AM

Hybrid View

Running in the AM

So, I guess quite a few people here like this. I'm not sure if I like it yet, and I had a few questions/concerns. Does anyone else find it hard as hell to run in the AM (before eating)? I don't have any calories in me so I run and feel like I'm going to crash immediatley. Also, since my stumach is skinny in the morning (before I eat), it makes my stomach ultra thin, but when I eat it expands out again; normal? Would it be bad to take a bite of something before I go and run?

When I wake up in the morning I only have two things on my mind. 1 Go back to sleep and 2 get something to eat. I don't know how I would be able to run on an empty stomach
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    When I wake up in the morning I only have two things on my mind. 1 Go back to sleep and 2 get something to eat. I don't know how I would be able to run on an empty stomach
    When I wake up in the morning, I only have 1 thing on my mind. Go back to sleep. And it never fails me.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

i have your same problem, but isn't cardio supposed to be done with a empty stomach?

I went to a body for life seminar at my gym the start of this year and they said doing cardio early before breakfast burns fat 110% more effectively than any other time in the day and sets your metabolism going. He went on to say that this is because you havnt eaten anything so your body is using what it has stored away for energy which he stated would be fat. How much truth their is to this i am not sure but i have heard multiple people swear by this method and plan on using it myself when i start cutting
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Quote Originally Posted by HILL
    I went to a body for life seminar at my gym the start of this year and they said doing cardio early before breakfast burns fat 110% more effectively than any other time in the day and sets your metabolism going. He went on to say that this is because you havnt eaten anything so your body is using what it has stored away for energy which he stated would be fat. How much truth their is to this i am not sure but i have heard multiple people swear by this method and plan on using it myself when i start cutting
    It does burn more fat. It also burns a lot more muscle. If you want to keep your muscle, eat something first.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs
    It does burn more fat. It also burns a lot more muscle. If you want to keep your muscle, eat something first.
    :withstupi
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs
    Depends on how much running you do empty, and for how long.

If your AM empty cardio isn't intense or of long duration, this is unlikely to be problematic.

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    is it really that hard for you....i mean i have the same feeling in the morning but WHAT I DO is when my mind keeps begging me to go back to sleep/get a bite to eat, i just say to myself "**** you" then i get up change, grab my bag and CD player and go before my mind has a second chance to get me again....and i am one of those guys that swear that running in the morning on an empty stomach is the best way to burn fat.....you can look it up yourself if u want proof...go to bodybuilding.com or just google it

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bIgHwN86
    is it really that hard for you....i mean i have the same feeling in the morning but WHAT I DO is when my mind keeps begging me to go back to sleep/get a bite to eat, i just say to myself "**** you" then i get up change, grab my bag and CD player and go before my mind has a second chance to get me again....and i am one of those guys that swear that running in the morning on an empty stomach is the best way to burn fat.....you can look it up yourself if u want proof...go to bodybuilding.com or just google it
    Hey bighwn, if you know what's good for you, you won't go to bodybuilding.com anymore. I swear, there is so much BS on that site.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

if thats true thanks doob i would have started to do my cardio in a morning you learn summit everyday on this sitelol
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Ugh...it does or doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    Does anyone else find it hard as hell to run in the AM (before eating)? Would it be bad to take a bite of something before I go and run?
    No. It's hard at first, but you get used to it really well after a week or so. If you can handle the food without nauseum, go for it.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I do, but I have some water and take my vitamin, then grab my cd player and go for a little run around my neighborhood. If I feel really tired or sore or anything I will walk...but my walk is typically most peoples running, what can I say I have long legs...

I however eat when I get home then hop in the shower and my cardio for the day is done

drinking a cup or two of coffee gets me ready for just about anything

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

WOW. today i ran on an empty stomoch, and it was quite a bad experiance. my stomoch felt like sh*t... i think im going to try drinking a cup or two of coffee before going out on my run when i try this again...
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    Just eat something small like a bananna or whatever. When I run in the morning for PT, it helps keep me active throughout the day other than not running. I don't feel a difference if it burns more calories or not, I just do it because I have to.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

I love running in the am. Its my coffee, after running i feel like i can start my day. But if your trying to bulk theres no reason to run on an empty stomach. I lost like 30lbs doing the interval training from the body for life book. Seemed to work really well for me.

Yeah, it can get quite technical.
    It just matters which energy system your running on and how muych glucose is floatin around in your blood.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I haven't had any problems with AM cardio on an empty stomach
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I do HIIT cardio and my weightlifting first thing on an empty stomach. I just got used to it from doing it so often.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    I do HIIT cardio and my weightlifting first thing on an empty stomach. I just got used to it from doing it so often.

Why do you want to do it this way?

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    but do you do that also when you are not "assisted"