The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Overhead Squat

Hybrid View

Overhead Squat

I tried doing overhead squat last week and fell in love with it. I was wondering if there is any pointer or words of wisdom from those who had experience with it.

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

when i do them i get pain in my middle back off to the side. i have trouble with the form or possibley flexibility so i quit until i can figure it out better.

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    I tried doing overhead squat last week and fell in love with it. I was wondering if there is any pointer or words of wisdom from those who had experience with it.

Thanks.
    I'm sure some of these will be commonsense, but maybe not so here are mine:

Make sure your core and shoulder girdle are really warmed up before doing them. As you get better (more flexible, more experienced, stronger), you can just warm up w. the movement, but I'd recommend some calisthenics, other exercises, etc. in the meantime.

Taking a wide grip and trying to pull the bar apart will help w. stability overhead.

Make sure your keep looking straight ahead. The bar will be slightly behind your head.

Keep your heels on the ground and your abs tight throughout the movement.

If you can, use bumper plates.

Don't go crazy w. the reps on this exercise. Your shoulders can get really cranked if you do.

Can someone explain to me whta the overhead squats are like? Is that like having your arms locked out above you and squatting with it like that?

If it is then I'm just gonna go ahead and say that you guys are lucky you're able to do it. If I tried it my shoulders would die.

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Can someone explain to me whta the overhead squats are like? Is that like having your arms locked out above you and squatting with it like that?

If it is then I'm just gonna go ahead and say that you guys are lucky you're able to do it. If I tried it my shoulders would die.
    That's exactly what it is.

I have had shoulder troubles in the past, but OH SQs don't aggravate them (again unless I am sloppy and/or doing high reps).

It really is an exercise that develops and demands functional flexibility, overall body strength and coordination, and the strictest form. Highly recommended for athletes or anyone getting stale or bored with regular squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I'm sure some of these will be commonsense, but maybe not so here are mine:

Make sure your core and shoulder girdle are really warmed up before doing them. As you get better (more flexible, more experienced, stronger), you can just warm up w. the movement, but I'd recommend some calisthenics, other exercises, etc. in the meantime.

Taking a wide grip and trying to pull the bar apart will help w. stability overhead.

Make sure your keep looking straight ahead. The bar will be slightly behind your head.

Keep your heels on the ground and your abs tight throughout the movement.

If you can, use bumper plates.

Don't go crazy w. the reps on this exercise. Your shoulders can get really cranked if you do.
    Man, only if you had given me these information a few hour sooner. HAHaha. But you were right it is pretty much common sense. I went to the gym today and did exactly that. Last week i did 90lbs for 3, and this week i did 90lbs for 2x5 and 100lbs for 3. (I bust my ass for this so let me brag a little) hahaha

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    Would an OH SQ be a Powerlifting exercise? I believe that the exercise should be for more experienced bbers. If you have sloppy form you could really injure yourself or someone else for that matter. But it does look like it would be a good exercise because your using the entire body in one motion.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Quote Originally Posted by pfc3rex
    Would an OH SQ be a Powerlifting exercise? I believe that the exercise should be for more experienced bbers. If you have sloppy form you could really injure yourself or someone else for that matter. But it does look like it would be a good exercise because your using the entire body in one motion.
    I don't know why a bodybuilder would need overhead squats. But, it is a great exercise for many athletes.

edit: If the lifter is competent, it is no more dangerous than any other overhead lift.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-13-2005 at 02:01 PM.

from your perspective why wouldn't a bodybuilder need overhead squat?

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    from your perspective why wouldn't a bodybuilder need overhead squat?
    It's a difficult lift to master and it takes time to be able to use any appreciable amount of weight. I guess I just can't imagine anyone doing overhead squats to develop any muscle in particular. Bodybuilders are working muscles, not develop athletic prowess. I don't think bodybuilders really need to spend much time doing olympic-type lifts (cleans, jerks, snatches, high pulls) either.

I think overhead squats are a great proprioception exercise for rehabbing back to regular heavy squats. It can also be a good tool to teach proper squatting form. It can be a pretty good diagnostic exercise to point out weaknesses in strength, flexibility, and balance. Overhead squats are great for adding some variety into a stale routine. Obviously they would help olympic lifters. I just don't think it's a great "mass builder" - I'd stick w. regular squats, overhead presses, etc. for that...

There's nothing wrong w. bodybuilders doing them, but if I were to make a program for someone who was just trying to get big or look better, I wouldn't spend that much time on them.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-13-2005 at 05:00 PM.

Point taken.

Thanks.