The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

can't seem to get biceps sore anymore, why?

ok, I've been working out for about 3 1/2 months now, and I'm very satified with the progress that I'm doing. I've gone from 140lb to 152lb in body weight. I've gone from 90lb to 140lb in bench press. I've also gone from 50lb to 100lbs in curls. For some reason, my arms have always grown faster. My arms are huge compared to when I started. Even a friend of mine who weighs 180 and lifts heavier than me, has trouble keeping up with me in curls. Now, for the last month or so, I haven't been able to get my biceps sore. I don't get that feeling that I've worked them out hard enough. Everytime I workout, I do it till failure, but that does seem to help. I've tried change my routine alittle, but I still can't get them sore. Does anyone have any suggests on how to get them sore?

btw, here's my bicep routine:

21's 3 sets- 65lbs
    Curls 10x75lb, 8x85lb, 6x100lb, last set 75lbs till failure.
    DB curls 10x25lb, 8x30lb, 6x35lb, last set 25lbs till failure.

Sometimes i switch db curls with preacher curls. I have used this routine since I started, but now it doesn't seem to get me sore anymore.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Hmmm, so your bench and curls have gone up nice... that's good.

How much has your squat, deadlift, row, chin, shoulder press, dip improved?

Why do you want to get sore so bad? Does soreness indicate a good workout or make you grow or get stronger?

Answer some of these questions and maybe we can help ya.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Simplistic
    If I've been training my biceps the same way for a few months and I change something and the next day they are sore that tells me I have done something that my biceps is not used to , which is good. I switched to a ballistic typed training for my bi's when they stopped progressing and it made a big difference in size and strength, and yes they where sore the next day. That told me they worked. BTW I didn't change any of the lifts I was doing only the style in which I was performing them, so yes, soreness can tell you that something has worked.

Always bad with diet
    What's ballistic type training??

i have had workouts in which didn`t make me sore but had me progress. specially in arms.

Simplistic
    instead of using a slower more conventional style training on the positive just drive the weight up as hard as you can, but make sure to not confuse this with bad form cause you still gotta do the lift right, try it I think you'll be happy with the results you get.
    This is how Arnold used to train.
    Last edited by Neil; 12-13-2001 at 10:49 AM.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Exactly Reinier. Soreness doesn't indicate you had a good or productive workout. You can have a productive workout and get sore, but you can also have one and not get sore.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

i'm questioning the 12 sets.

however...are your biceps growing from this workout?

soreness isn't a good indicator of efficacy. progression is.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Simplistic
    I agree with Latman, I'm just saying that soreness can be a good sign sometimes.

Wannabebig Member
    LATMAN, i'm have improved in everything except squats cuz i hurt my lower doing it with a smith machine when i didn't have a spotter. I was improving though till i hurt my back.

As for why I want to get them sore, well for some reason it makes me feel like i had a good workout.

Neil, what is a ballistic workout?

Tryska, ya my biceps have grow alot with this workout. all my friends love the size of my biceps. I have bigger arms than my workout partner who is bigger than me.

well if you are growing AND getting stronger on your bicep movements don't change a thing ! Thats the main goal right?

Soreness is not directly related to muscle growth and your experiences prove that! you are growing whilst not getting sore!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    i guess you guys are right. as long as i keep growing and getting stronger, that's all that matters. i don't think i'm going to worry about it anymore. thanks guys

Wannabebig Member
    btw, I still wanna know what a ballistic typed training is?
    Last edited by groundrocker; 12-13-2001 at 11:31 AM.

Simplistic
    Originally posted by Neil
    instead of using a slower more conventional style training on the positive just drive the weight up as hard as you can, but make sure to not confuse this with bad form cause you still gotta do the lift right, try it I think you'll be happy with the results you get.
    This is how Arnold used to train.
    ballistic workout

Yeah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you do run out of steam on your bicep progression, you may want to read this

http://www.cyberpump.com/training/tips/tip35.html

I agree with everyone above that soreness is not required for progression in size and/or strength. Search the site for the tems "DOMS" or "Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness."

That all being said, if you just WANT to get sore you can try the following:

1) Do your biceps workout only every 6-8 days. For some reason DOMS seems to occur more with that kind of interval, rather than every 2-4 days. Your progression may actually IMPROVE taking more days off in between your workout days.

2) Do your curls with a 2-4 cadence, where it takes two seconds to do the concentric (curling motion) phase of the lift and four seconds to do the eccentric (straightening) phase of the lift. The negative portion of the lift is associated with more microtrauma to the muscle fibers, and may be more important for progression.

Wannabebig Member
    oh, sorry Neil, I read that post, but i just did read who it was from. thanks for the info. that's exactly how I do my workout right now.

DelphiDoc, thanks for the info. I'm going to try that today to see if it works for me.

just how bad are smith squats?
    they seem to be the only choice i have soon since i made it to 10 full reps on the fixed weighted leg press i used, theres no rack or cage or spotter around.

Wannabebig Member
    well from my experience, I didn't like them at all. It put alot of pressure on my lower back. I would feel it on the way down. since that one time, my back has been hurting. it's been over a month now. I haven't been able to squat.

so, generally speaking, if my other lifts are progressing, and i'm not making any gains on my biceps curls, should i cut back on the number of sets for biceps? are there other variables i should vary?

if your rows are progressing then your biceps are.

if your pressing is progressing then your triceps are.

that's the basics.

12 sets for biceps is over the top IMO and 21's suck IMO [but that's his choice]

if he's progresing with that then great.

i only do 2 sets direct work for biceps and i'm hunky dory.

are you progressing with the volume you're doing for biceps right now? if so, stick with it. if not, maybe try some lower volume or even higher volume! you never know.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

rows: progressing

presses: progressing

direct bicep work: ooh, sliding backwards.

i'll try cutting my sets back and see where that takes me. thanks.

hmmm....don;t take this as advice, but if it wasn;t for my online journal i wouldn;t even keep progression of bicep work.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

don't understand what you mean CD. do you mean:

1) you wouldn't continue making progress on your biceps if it weren't for the online journal? or
    2) you wouldn't even bother tracking the progress of your biceps (ie--if you're making progress on your rows, that's all you should worry about) if it weren't for the online journal?
    Last edited by Laertes; 12-14-2001 at 10:33 AM.

Originally posted by Laertes
    2) you wouldn't even bother tracking the progress of your biceps (ie--if you're making progress on your rows, that's all you should worry about) if it weren't for the online journal?

i really couldn't give a toss about how much i'm curling as long as i'm rowing more and pulling more.

I only keep tabs on curls so i can impress the bench-curling crew of the board. belial, Chris mason, pauly etc...