Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with PDAs

Help with PDAs

I am looking into getting a PDA. I'm not too familiar with them. The one main feature I'm looking for is to be able to do scheduling on the PDA with real time notification. I realize that this would need to be have PDA on at all times, which means battery life is very important with a rechargeable stand. Also, I was also wondering if it's even to put a daily message to repeat daily without having to input it on a daily basis. It would have to be a type of alarm with writting capabilities.

Please tell me the brand and model of the PDA along with the price please. As it stands, I dont want anything too expensive. Thanks in advance
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

I had a dell axim PDA, and when you had a task schedualed it would turn on and Beep and give you a visual noting. PDA's are never "off" they are sort of in a sleep state, hence why if you leave it off for a few weeks the battery completly drains. Hope this helps you out.

On a side note, dont know if you are interested in the older AXIM X5, its about 2 years old, perfect workign condition. 2 batteries and a memory card case cradle and all that jazz. I would be more than happy to sell.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I actually went to the store and found that out. The older PDAs, 5 yrs ago, didn't have that capability. Not that I knew of when I worked at CompUSA. The guy told me that you can schedule tasks and such and it turns on and lets you know what's going on.

Any reason to go over one with another?

Im sorry i dont understand your question?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

There are many different brands and models or PDAs. My question is why would I pick a certain model over another?

battery life, size, features, etc. How much are you looking to spend, i can help you find something
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

up to about 300

Dell Axim X30 running at 624 MHz is on sale at dell.com for $315 until 7/13
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

res firma mitescere nescit

heh, i had a palm... it was teh **** for about a week.. then it ended up being an expensive hacky sack
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Axims are great, the Palm Tungsten E2 is outstanding....a freakish display as far as color saturation & contrast, plus battery life, as well as FlashRAM, or whatever it's called, that keeps your data safe even after the battery discharges.

Plus, it's got the Palm OS, which destroys the bloat-ware PocketPC. Does everything a PPC does, but easier, with fewer strokes, better battery life, and less RAM. Also way, waaaaay better shareware and apps you can buy over the web. Syncing with Outlook, manipulating PowerPoint, etc. Nintendo emulators, etc.

You're incorrect, BTW, with your remarks about PDAs and alerts.

I bought an Apple Newton back in 1996, and it "woke-up" with an alert at any time I scheduled it. So did the original monochrome Palm Pilot back then, which is like 10 years ago. It's nothing new. There's no such thing as powering-down a PDA to a "dead point", unless you run the battery down to absolute zero, and those days are almost over.

Quite likely you were ignorant when you worked at CompUSA. And that's not an insult. Being ignorant isn't the same as being "stupid". But clearly, you don't know what you're talking about. And so we're here to help.

I'd go with an Axim or a Palm Tungsten E2, which should be under $300, unless I'm full of it.

You don't need to spend a lot to get the simple features you're looking for, which is basically a planner. Now if we're talking Nintendo 64 emulators with analog joystick simulation........
    Last edited by Majestic; 07-09-2005 at 08:48 PM.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

bahhaha, Palm OS blows compared to Pocket PC, unless your computer illiterate. You can write your own programs for Pocket PC, I set up virtual PC on my old axim and could control my freakin deskktop from anywere in world using remote desktop. You have AIM, tons of software. Its a mini PC that fits in your pocket.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Thanks for the help.

You're right I was ignorant to the product, but then again, I wasn't working in that department either.

Now we have conflicting stories regarding the OSs. Now if I wanted internet access, I would have to sign up with a carrier right?

Also, I have a Nextel phone right now and was thinking about getting the Blackberry and using that as both a phone and a PDA any thoughts on that?

Blackberrys are pimp imho, email aim etc, one thing i lie better is the Tmobile sidekick, actual web browsing with that sucker. But yeah Pocket pc > Palm OS
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Holy, the Nextel Blackberry is a lot bigger and wider than the one i've seen from t-mobile. the blackberry 7100t i think it's called that one is shorter than a standard flip phone that's opened and has the same width.

Nextel and Sprint are merging in September if I'm not mistaken and I was curious whether I got a Sprint one for now and got internet service only for it, I could connect the two after the merge and just use one of them. I guess I would have to contact Nextel regarding that huh?

yeah, i wouldnt have the answer for ya on that one
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    bahhaha, Palm OS blows compared to Pocket PC,
    Only if you're a child who just touched a computer for the first time yesterday.

.....and most people don't WANT what computer geeks use....the want to use what people who actually have girlfriends use, which is why Palm's market share blows the doors off of BloatPC.

There very simply isn't a single thing Palm OS can't do better than PPC, period. Including running Windows apps. How ironic.

....unless you're an idiot............
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"

sorry, I didnt mean for the everyday joe, if you just want an organizer and an expensive adress book knock yourself out. I have IRC on my Axim, Wifi security tools, packet sniffers, remote desktop, you can even download using p2p programs using a pocket PC. Palm is lagging behind big time. There is much more software for the pocket pc, including some kick kas games. Oh and why call it a BloatPC?

.........unless you're an idiot.........
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Palm's Treo units blow the doors off of Blackberrys. We won't discuss the 300-ton PPC units, since they're as huge as bricks, except for the Axim, which functions less efficiently than any Palm (remember, it's running BloatWare that is 3 times as large, and half as efficient....hey...it's from Microsh*t).

The Treo 650 functions as a phone, a movie player (with superior pixel density to any PPC, as do all hi-res Palm OS units), a contact manager, an MP3 player, and text messenger, not to mention Windows document manager than any PPC unit, including the Axims, which are good units, per dollar.

So that I don't have to explain pixel density to the newbie known as HolyWarz, I'll spell it out thusly: resolution isn't the same as pixel density, although Palm OWNS that detail as well. The T5 has more pixels, period, than any PPC. But per-inch, a 320 x 320 screen kills any PPC screen, regarding density and clarity.

What it really comes down to, is that there isn't a PPC that can offer as much functionality as a Treo 650, which costs $300 with an unlimited data plan, which you can cancel after 1 month.

Dont get to full of your sorry self

I know exactly what Pixel density is. Just because 99% of my posts arnt in general chat on a bodybuilding forum doesnt mean that I am technicaly challanged. You just enjoy starting heating battles with childish name calling, its cool though.....did you get picked on in highschool? Or piss your bed till you were 15. C'mon there has to be some reason the great "Majestic" gets all riled up over crap he reads on the internet
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

" Overall
    First, let me say that this phone is potentially fantastic. I say "potentially", because there are some major flaws that prevent me from recommending this phone. If PalmOne fixes them in the future, I'd wholeheartedly recommend this. Until then, this phone is strictly for the technical gadget lover who can tolerate buggy life on the bleeding edge.

Random Reboots Turn the Phone Off
    The phone sometimes reboots by itself, without any human interaction. Yep, it might just be sitting there on your desk and it might just decide to reboot. Now that might not sound so bad, but if you don't see it during the reboot, there's no obvious indication afterwards that this has happened. The user may never know that the phone rebooted. To make matters worse, the phone reboots to a mode where the PDA function is ON but phone section is OFF. So you might be using it to look up appointments and such and if you're not attentive, you might miss the fact that the phone is OFF. While the phone is OFF, incoming calls go directly to voicemail, and since the phone is OFF, you won't get any notifications that you have a voicemail. This makes for a very dangerous situation for a business professional relying on the Treo 650 as a communication device.

Random Phone Shutdowns
    Sometimes, the phone doesn't reboot by itself, but it does seem to randomly shutdown or set the phone section to OFF. This situation seems to occur in marginal Sprint PCS service areas where the phone is switching often between a Sprint PCS tower and a Verizon tower.

So just as with the random reboots, you might be using it to look up appointments and such and if you're not attentive, you might miss the fact that the phone is OFF. While the phone is OFF, incoming calls go directly to voicemail, and since the phone is OFF, you won't get any notifications that you have a voicemail. Again, this makes for a very dangerous situation for a business professional relying on the Treo 650 as a communication device.

Aggrevating Email
    Versamail is a very buggy application. If you get any reasonable volume of email, like 10 or more a day, I guarantee it will reboot at least once every two days. When Versamail crashes, the phone reboots and ALL Versamail email settings including logins, passwords, settings, all emails that were stored on the phone, etc. If you're on the road away from your computer, this not the happiest of situations. You can re-enter all the settings back into the Treo 650, but it's quite tedious, and in most cases you'll wait to get back to your PC where a hotsync restores most Versamail settings. However, there are some settings that still need to be re-entered in to the Treo to get it back to it's original email condition.

Remember that a Versamail crash reboots the whole Treo 650 and as I've mentioned before, these reboots turn the phone OFF, so you won't get incoming calls or voicemail notifications until you manually turn the phone back on.

I've used blackberry's in the past, and the Palm Versamail application is promising in that it doesn't strip out any email formatting. However, as mentioned, Versamail is a horrible buggy application that may inspire you to throw your phone through the window at times when you really need an email.

Don't believe what you read in the Treo 650 forums about the "delete corrupted database" workaround. It doesn't work. It only postpones the next reboot from 2 days to maybe 4 days(after that 4th day it'll resume rebooting every 1 or 2 days again). In fact I rebuilt my phone from scratch with a brand new database via a hard reboot and the problem still existed. I even returned the phone for a 2nd Treo 650 and the 2nd one had the identical problem.

On one occassion, Versamail didn't even reboot the phone. The screen stayed brilliant white and didn't respond to any keys. Versamail locked up the phone so badly that neither a soft reboot, nor a "soft restart" (that's an undocumented Palm tech-support recommended reboot that's between a soft & hard reboot) could resusciate the phone. I had to hard-reboot, which loses all the data. Resynching with PC will restore most, but not all settings.

Blackberry email vs. Treo 650 email? Blackberry wins hands down in the email department on the sole basis of stability. Veramail is written by PalmOne themselves and it's hard to imagine that they could release something so horrid.

Headset locks the unit up
    There's more to this instability story. Today I plugged in my Treo 650 handsfree and the phone just plain gave up the ghost, or at least for a few minutes it did. It didn't reboot by itself, but it just lay there like it had a heart attack. It didn't respond to any buttons. I had to soft reboot it to make it come back to life. No settings were lost.

Phone Performance
    Phone performance was ok with Sprint PCS. I can say OK because I compared it to the Sanyo VM4500 which always has 2 bars more reception than the Treo 650. In the New Jersey / New York area, Sprint PCS coverage is far better than T-Mobile, but not as good as Cingular or Verizon. The handsfree sound quality was great (far superior to the muffled sound of handsfree Motorola V600 or handsfree Ericsson T68i).

MP3 Player
    I got around to playing some MP3's from the SD card. The music had some skipping that became quite irritating after just a few minutes. Alas, that's not the end of the bad news. The included RealPlayer will also crash the Treo650 when editing playlists. Fortunately, the resulting reboots in these situations leave the phone on."

Heres a review from someone who cared to write something smart about the glorious treo 650.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    So that I don't have to explain pixel density to the newbie known as HolyWarz, I'll spell it out thusly: resolution isn't the same as pixel density, although Palm OWNS that detail as well. The T5 has more pixels, period, than any PPC. But per-inch, a 320 x 320 screen kills any PPC screen, regarding density and clarity.
    Uh huh and you get 3x the viewing area by pixels on a Pocket PC with a 640 x 480 screen.

Oh and while your proving your math skills why dont you check which is a higher density?

102400 pixels on a 2.5" screen

or

307200 pixels on a 3.7" screen

5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Remind me really quickly.....you've dug up a 1st review comparing the 12 month-old 650 released through the world's most unreliable carrier (Sprint) to the Verizon version? Dare I dig-up the early reviews of BloatWare products?

Nobody uses Versamail anyway, not that you even know what it is.

Treo 650 owns all. Period.

What the original poster is looking for is a basic scheduler/contact manager. He can get that with a cheap Palm OS unit, or an Axim PPC unit. I prefer the Palm OS unit, with it's relative ease of use, not to mention its vastly superior software library and user base.

There are some who are willing to endure the headaches and incredibly short battery life of PPC. I won't mention the 10 trillion reviews bashing their MicroBloat machines. What matters is that people enjoy both platforms. I repeat: people enjoy BOTH platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    Uh huh and you get 3x the viewing area by pixels on a Pocket PC with a 640 x 480 screen.
    Your average PPC screen has a resolution of 320 x 240.

Your average Palm OS screen has a resolution of 320 x 320.

The T5 has a resolution of 320 x 480, I believe.

Either way, the T5 isn't a great representative of the model *most* people own, nor is your hardly-owned 640 x 480 screen, which basically nobody owns.

your axim is 640 x 480, and I have one from 2-3 years ago that is 320 x 480, every single Ipaq, Dell, HP PPC ha atleast a 320 x 480, and everyone since about a year - year and a half ago is 640 x 480, which is 3 times as many pixels as a Palm, Its also comparing apples to oranges, PPC uses more resources but also has processor that is twice as fast. And yes I did say for your average joe a Palm is just dandy. Its an expensive contact manager/organizer. Im not arguing with you there. I have PocketPC 2002 on my Axim and its deifnatly not bloatware. The sucker is customizable.

Here is a breakdown from a comaprison of the two OS platforms.

Reasons to Buy a Palm

More third-party software. The Palm OS has 72 percent of the worldwide PDA market, according to IDC. As a result, there are thousands more applications available for Palm devices than for Pocket PCs. So if you want lots of programs to choose from, such as Iambic Software's TimeReporter time-tracking software (available for Palms but not Pocket PCs), your best bet is a Palm OS PDA.

For a look at my favorite Palm OS applications, read "Mobile Computing: Best Programs for Your Palm." For my top Pocket PC applications, see "Mobile Computing: Top Pocket PC Programs."

Lower prices. The least expensive new Palm OS device is the Zire, which lists for $99. By comparison, the least expensive new Pocket PC models (such as Dell's Axim X5) retail for about $200. The Zire lacks some features of low-end Pocket PCs, namely a color screen. But when you're on a tight budget, the price tag may appeal more to you than a fancy display.

For the latest PDA prices, check out the PCWorld.com Product Finder.

Needs fewer resources. The no-frills Palm OS doesn't require a speedy processor and tons of memory to run efficiently. On the other hand, Pocket PCs, with an operating system based on Windows, are more resource intensive and thus require faster processors and more memory (which drives up hardware costs).

Easier to use. This is a judgment call, which I suspect will cause my in-box to overflow with fervently expressed disagreements. But I've used both platforms, and in my humble opinion, the Palm OS and the applications that run on it are more straightforward and simply designed than their equivalents on Pocket PCs, yet are powerful enough to get the job done.

Better integration with Microsoft Office. This could be the subject of an article by itself (as well as another heated argument). In my experience, DataViz Documents To Go 5.0, included on most Palm models, provides tools and integration with Microsoft Office files that surpass the versions of Office on Pocket PCs. For instance, unlike Documents To Go on Palms, the pocket Office applications don't include PowerPoint (though third-party applications are available that provide access to PowerPoint files).

Smaller size. In general, Palm devices tend to be more compact than Pocket PCs. This differentiator is diminishing as larger, more robust Palms and smaller, more streamlined Pocket PCs come to market.
    Reasons to Buy a Pocket PC

More models and vendors. Pocket PC vendors include Asus, Casio, Dell, Gateway, Hewlett-Packard, Toshiba, and ViewSonic. By comparison, the majority of Palm OS PDA models in the U.S. come from Sony and Palm/Handspring--the two companies plan to merge. (I'm not including specialty devices based on the Palm OS, such as the AlphaSmart Dana notebook alternative. For more on the Dana, see this week's Handhelds section.)

Better screens. Until recently, the most Pocket PC color displays were crisper and offered more resolution than most Palm OS displays. This, too, is changing, however, as Palm OS devices--particularly multimedia handhelds from Sony--are aggressively catching up with Pocket PC models.

Better Web browser. Pocket Internet Explorer, the "mini-me" to the Windows version, is the best Web browser I've used on a PDA, partly because it's so similar to what I use on my Windows machine.

Easier multitasking. Pocket PC can open more than one application at a time, unlike Palm devices--though only one Pocket PC app can appear on screen at a time. This makes it a bit easier and faster to jump between applications, but it also consumes more memory.

MP3 player. Pocket PCs come standard with Windows Media Player for MP3 and other multimedia files, while only newer, high-end multimedia Palm OS devices come with media-playing software.

Built-in speaker. Speakers are standard on Pocket PCs but are only found on some Palms, such as high-end Sony multimedia devices. This isn't a huge advantage, because even the best Pocket PC speaker is sounds tinny. Still, if you want to create and play back voice recordings or add GPS/mapping software systems with audible driving directions to your PDA, the Pocket PC is your best bet.
    And the Winner Is...

If you are primarily need a compact, reasonably priced, easy-to-use PDA for calendaring, contacts, to-do lists, and possibly a few multimedia perks, shop for a Palm OS device.

On the other hand, if the familiarity of the Windows OS interface appeals to you, if you want to carry around what is essentially a tiny version of your PC, and if you want multimedia to be the rule and not the exception, then go for a Pocket PC.

And since 100% of PPC software is available for download online Palm looses an edge.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Your average PPC screen has a resolution of 320 x 240.???

Tell me where you pulled this number from?
    Last edited by Unholy; 07-09-2005 at 11:35 PM.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011