The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Seeking general weight / strength gain advice

Ok I have a lot of questions but I will try to keep this as brief and to the point as possible

About me:

-20 year old male,
    -5'9" and around 150lbs.
    -have not seriously worked out in about two years
    -in pretty bad shape (19% BF, pretty weak, etc).

My goals:

-put on some weight (get up to at least 175)
    -lose the fat (get down to 12% or less BF)
    -get stronger overall
    -gain muscle mass overall

My schedule:

-able to go to the gym up to 6 times a week for 1-2 hours a day

Basically I have the time and motivation to achieve these goals, I just want to make sure I am following a good program. I started working out again 1-2 weeks ago and this is what I have been doing so far...

Two days a week:

Upper body - shoulder, chest, triceps, etc. I try to hit each muscle group with at least one exercise (3 sets, 6-10 reps each).

Three days a week:

Lower body - same deal, just sort of trying to hit each major muscle group with three sets.

Cardio - 30 minutes on the bike, trying to keep my HR on track.

Ok, I know this schedule sounds a bit vague - and that's because I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of what I should be doing (how many exercises per muscle group? how many reps? etc).

I'm not looking to be super buff in five weeks or anything like that, but I'm willing to put some work in to improve my health and body image over the long term.

If anyone has some basic guidelines, or a beginners program I could start following that would be wonderful (and greatly appreciated!)

If there is any important information I have missed please point it out and I will post it.

Also, I realize diet is a big part of this whole process and I am looking into that as well.

Thanks again!

-James

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well signing up here is a good start. Also i would say check out the wbb routines that should give you an idea where to start. With you your bf% i would say to cut first get that down a bit then try to gain lean muscle mass. Just a suggestion. Good luck

Read all of the training articles on this site.

You'll find what you need.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.