The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Why I lift and train essay

Hey guys, please read and tell me what you think. If you want, you can tell me why you guys train too.

"Before I start this essay, I would like to make a statement: Training is hard. If it wasnít hard, everyone would be training, be great at their sport and be in great shape. Itís difficult to find the time, itís a physically difficult activity, and the most mentally challenging pursuit Iíve ever encountered.

Of course, there is an upside, and in this case, the upside far outweighs the downside. Training is the way to get better at your sport, it boosts your self esteem, and helps you get into great shape.

Often enough, I keep asking myself, why am I training, why am I doing this to myself? The answer is quite simple. I love it. I love to hit the bag, I love to punch and kick the air, and I love to hit people and be hit by people. I love it. If I love something that much, sure enough Iíll train, whether itís at 6 am, or 9 pm, Iíll do it. I will make time.

I look around myself and I see unmotivated, out of shape suckers who donít bother to take care of themselves. Now, I understand not everyone likes to train, or even work out from time to time, but as sad as it is, looking at these shlubs helps meÖ When looking at them, I see exactly what I donít want to become. I see people who drink and smoke and party all the time, who donít study, who donít train, who donít like anything. All these people want to do is enjoy themselves, and when your goal is as general as that, itís almost impossible to reach.

But when I go to a kickboxing gym, itís completely different. I see motivated, hard working people. These people have a goal, and are doing all they can to achieve this goal by training.

I have a short list of people I do not want to end up like, and people I do want to end up like, in terms of motivation and work ethic. The former would be my brother, who never worked a day in his life, and countless other youth who laze around doing nothing. The latter would consist of Maz, my coach, John and Alex, my trainers, because the three of them always have set out their goals and did all they could to accomplish them.

Another reason why I train is because itís the only way to get ahead. My science teacher once told me, ĎWhenever youíre not training, someone else is.í When Iím sleeping, when Iím watching television, when Iím eating, someone is out there training. Scary thought, eh?

To sum this up, the reasons I train are: because it gives me that feeling of accomplishment, it gets me ahead of the game in terms of competition, and most importantly, it makes me happy. Iíve never been happier during or after a tough training session."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

not to be an ******* but i will critique you. If this is some kind of formal essay there should be better structure and layout. Also, the 4th paragraph is horribly negative, focus on yourself, dont knock others.

And finally, on a personal note, I didn't like your essay right after the first few sentences. Training is the EASY part, its eating that is hard

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    It's not a formal essay. Furthermore, Ill_Mitch trains for kickboxing so the bulking aspect does not apply to him as hard as it does to others. His training is weightlifting, kickboxing, cardio, and stretching. A little different than just doing a workout.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 07-10-2005 at 10:56 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I don't know how old you are so I'm going to attack you as if this was supposed to be a college essay written by someone who has english as a first language.

1) You don't know how to use paragraphs.
    2) You don't know how to use sentences.
    3) Your flow sucks, your ideas don't go into each other.
    4) You language is juvenile and far too general.
    5) You don't develop any of your ideas well, that could be because you don't have to write a very long essay.
    6) Formal essays tend to have good solid first paragraphs.
    7) Your target audience would be your professor, but you sure don't write like thats who you're targetting.
    8) Your conclusion isn't tied into your essay.

Ok, now to begin attack some points.
    "All these people want to do is enjoy themselves, and when your goal is as general as that, itís almost impossible to reach."
    Why does generality make their goal impossible to reach? Generality has nothing to do with how difficult a goal is. Elaborate if you're going to say something like this.

"out of shape suckers"
    Uhh, you might want to reword this so you sound smarter.

"When Iím sleeping, when Iím watching television, when Iím eating, someone is out there training. Scary thought, eh?"

I'm sure that no matter how badass you are you need to find time to eat or sleep...

Overall this essay imho my friend is extremely poorly written by the standards I established earlier and needs a lot of work. You need to go see your teacher and ask for help.

If you're like in seventh or eigth grade this essay isn't too bad I guess. There are no blatant grammar or spelling errors.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Nejar, this is not a formal essay. It's for himself only. Thus there really isn't a need at all to follow a guideline to University level essays.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Grasshoppa
    Would still make it sound better, even for himself.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Mitch (the Ill one, I mean)...the essay isn't too bad, all factors (age, formality, etc.) considered. Your spelling is accurate, and your comma placement isn't too awful. I can agree with GMCtruck that you are focusing too much on what you perceive to be negative aspects of others' lives. This is only your viewpoint, while plenty of fat/shapeless people are focusing incredible amounts of energy on becoming doctors, lawyers, or just being generally successful in pursuits other than training.You probably will be more well-received (by the teacher) if you change that section to something about health risks involved in neglecting physical training, blah blah blah. Teachers are impressed if you appear learned on something, and tend to overlook some of the grammatical errors.

You others have to keep in mind that this is a high school paper, and not even a formal one at that. The typical high school student can't spell, place commas, or form a proper sentence. High school teachers aren't looking for perfect structure, or even proper paragraphs most of the time--and especially not in less formal situations.

I'll toss in that you should probably try to group some thoughts together, and end up with a couple less paragraphs. All in all though, it's not bad.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-11-2005 at 12:41 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    this is not a formal essay. It's for himself only.
    ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I can agree with GMCtruck that you are focusing too much on what you perceive to be negative aspects of others' lives. This is only your viewpoint, while plenty of fat/shapeless people are focusing incredible amounts of energy on becoming doctors, lawyers, or just being generally successful in pursuits other than training.

:withstupi As you get older, you'll realize that for most people there are far more important pursuits then training. That said, however, your passion for training definitely showed in your essay. Keep at it!
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    O, ok I went pretty hard on it because I just assumed the highest level possible. If this is something for yourself ignore all my formal stuff. You can remember it though if you plan on submitting to something important.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

I like "out of shape suckers" , someone should put that on a t-shirt. or make a song on it maybe name a gym after it. Kind of rolls off the tongue.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

"Before I start this essay, I would like to make a statement:"

i've learned in my english classes that you're never supposed to start an essay like that... and to get right to the point. I think starting the essay with "Training is hard." would be more effective.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

It's like you guys don't read the other posts in the thread...

well Mitch, he did ask for people to tell him what they thought.

I thought it was a good article sounds like he trains for the right reasons.

Good job Ill Mitch
    Last edited by briancurran01; 07-11-2005 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462
    I don't know how old you are so I'm going to attack you as if this was supposed to be a college essay written by someone who has english as a first language.

1) You don't know how to use paragraphs.
    2) You don't know how to use sentences.
    3) Your flow sucks, your ideas don't go into each other.
    4) You language is juvenile and far too general.
    5) You don't develop any of your ideas well, that could be because you don't have to write a very long essay.
    6) Formal essays tend to have good solid first paragraphs.
    7) Your target audience would be your professor, but you sure don't write like thats who you're targetting.
    8) Your conclusion isn't tied into your essay.

Ok, now to begin attack some points.
    "All these people want to do is enjoy themselves, and when your goal is as general as that, itís almost impossible to reach."
    Why does generality make their goal impossible to reach? Generality has nothing to do with how difficult a goal is. Elaborate if you're going to say something like this.

"out of shape suckers"
    Uhh, you might want to reword this so you sound smarter.

"When Iím sleeping, when Iím watching television, when Iím eating, someone is out there training. Scary thought, eh?"

I'm sure that no matter how badass you are you need to find time to eat or sleep...

Overall this essay imho my friend is extremely poorly written by the standards I established earlier and needs a lot of work. You need to go see your teacher and ask for help.

If you're like in seventh or eigth grade this essay isn't too bad I guess. There are no blatant grammar or spelling errors.

:withstupi
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Banned
    woa woa woa, I only wrote this to remind myself why I train bros.

Heh, yeah i think they went overboard.

I thought it was good mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    It's like you guys don't read the other posts in the thread...
    :withstupi

Harsh, people, harsh. Sounds like you're dedicated, Mitch!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by ILL_Mitch
    woa woa woa, I only wrote this to remind myself why I train bros.
    lol..I thought it was AT LEAST an informal overnight assignemnt for school. Of course, now that I think about it, school it out!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    Well ILLmitch what have we learned today? Don't post anything up that you don't want slammed over and over again I thought it was good bro

I understand the informality and nature of the essay, but the thing about writing for yourself is that years down the road when you look back at what you wrote, you don't want to be embarassed of how you wrote things. You want to focus on the content and why you wanted to work out. There's nothing more distracting than bad structure and simple errors. You end up forgetting why you wrote it and feel bad about how you wrote it.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Grasshoppa
    The man asked for criticism, so he got it. Whether it be for himself or for school is besides the point, at least to me. The idea and content of the essay is definately there, but the structure needs work.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig New Member
    Mitch what class is this for ?? what grade are you in ? Your sentence structure ... blah blah blah .

Good for you bro , I just wanted to sound like everyone else that read about 1/2 of maybe the 1st couple posts and went straight to the reply section .

I'll write mine now

Why I lift ... written by Brawl

The pelt baby ... the pelt .

How was my sentence structure you ninnies ???
    Last edited by Brawl; 07-11-2005 at 07:58 PM.
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I think I'd get skewered if I tried to submit that paper to any of my high school teachers.

Get into some deeper analysis, ESPECIALLY if this is just for yourself. "A life unexamined is a life not worth living" says Socrates, and to a certain point, i agree. you say: i do it because i love it.... ok, but WHY do you love it? what is underneath that love? what causes it? dig deeper. Casual grammer and language is ok for something written for yourself... but really, what is key is analysis, and just really get to the root of why you love working out so you can truely understand yourself/your motivations and truely reflect on weightlifting!
    Last edited by Garrix; 07-11-2005 at 09:07 PM.