Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for eating at the office?

Tips for eating at the office?

I'm out of my apartment from 8 am to 6 pm. 8 pm if I decide to hit the gym before going home (I'm thinking that will change. I'll go to the gym at 7 and give myself an hour at home to eat.)

So as you can see if I swore off eating after 8 pm I'd starve to death.

I know I'm supposed to consume the bulk of my daily calories during the afternoon. I hit McDonalds WAY too often for a six pack of nuggets and some sliced apple and as tasty as that is it can't be all that hot for me (though it's probably the best choice on the menu, protein to fat ratio wise).

I need help coming up with a diet of dried or cold meals that can be scarfed during coffee and lunch breaks. I have access to a battered old fridge that always smells like something died in it in the staff room.

Fitday seems to think my daily maintenance is 2600. I usually eat 1000 or more less than that because of a lack of food while I work. I'd like to see 2000 to 2400 in a day for now.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 07-26-2005 at 08:03 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Sandwiches dude. PB, Tuna, Turkey. Pack yourself 4 or 5 for the day and eat one every 2 hours, including on eon the drive home. I also like to eat yogurt and nuts during the day. Beef jerkey is a decent option if you don't have a sodium issue.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Cottage Cheese
    Tuna mixed with a small tablespoon of reduced fat mayo and some relish.
    Natural Peanut Butter for an afternoon pick me up
    Protein shake
    Bananas

The options are endless, but this is what I eat during the day and it does well.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    I hit McDonalds WAY too often for a six pack of nuggets and some sliced apple and as tasty as that is it can't be all that hot for me (though it's probably the best choice on the menu, protein to fat ratio wise).
    http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal?...m&itemID=10079

I think this might be the best protein/fat ratio at McD's. I just looked quickly though.

Chicken McGrill:
    http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal?...em&itemID=5967

Wannabebig Member
    I have a long working day office job too bud. Sucks and makes it hard to eat clean (harder then when I worked on building sites anyway).

Drew has good advice.
    I take this everyday to work with me everyday and eat it when I can, so long as I space it out and dont leave it all till the end its all good:

- 2 breakfast bars (5gs of protein each)
    - 2 cuppa soups (couple of gs of protein in each one and minimal fat) these are good because they can be drank at your desk instead of coffee.
    - 1 LARGE tuna salad with 2 cans of tuna (there is 50gs of Protein, mmmm)
    - 2 bananas
    - 2 apples

If that is not enough try swapping the breakfast bars for Protein bars - more expensive but have more cals...

I can keep all this stuff in my desk drawer for handy eating when I get chance, generally I save a banana for the drive to the gym at the end of the day.

For info I knock back a Protein shake first thing, then right after my training session (with some creatine). Then comes dinner, maybe a snack then bed.

I thought this was a lot before getting educated (here) but it seems this is a cutting diet. I will let you know how I manage to cram more in on a bulk in a few weeks (probably follow my own advice on the protein bars & add an extra can of Tuna to my salad)...
    Now July 06
    Height - 6 foot 3
    Weight - 215 pounds
    Body Fat - 17.3 %

Target Dec 06
    Height - lanky and love it.
    Weight - 230 pounds
    Body Fat - under 15 %

Here's a tip: the reason you're in the situation you're in (being a fatass) is because you're lazy. Change that and maybe you can change your body. -- Motivation Gold from Anthony.

I always bring in hard boiled eggs, eating the whites only, along with PB sandwiches, cans of tuna, and sometimes protein bars.
    "Deadlifts cure all. If your back isn't getting any bigger deadlift. If you legs aren't getting any bigger deadlift. If the alternator in your car isn't working... deadlift."

Yeah, nice catch on the McDs. The grilled McChicken has as much fat but twice the carbs and protein. For that matter a basic 'just give me a burger' is 9f/33c/13p and is cheaper than the 15f/15c/15p nuggets for the same serving size. Since I'm nearly a thousand under maintenance on a regular day I officially say 'screw counting carbs' for now.

Still not a good idea to hit McD every day. Way too much sodium (though I don't know how much I have in the rest of my diet).

Sandwiches I think I can handle. I was avoiding them because of the carbs in the bread but screw that. I want to EAT.

Nice suggestions all around... keep 'em coming.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

I always pack fruit, trail mix, and sandwhiches with me when I go to work.

Wannabebig Member
    Whats with the McD's?

I had always been under the assumption that although fast food has lots of cals - its still bad for you, not just the sodium but the grease content etc etc..
    Now July 06
    Height - 6 foot 3
    Weight - 215 pounds
    Body Fat - 17.3 %

Target Dec 06
    Weight - 230 pounds
    Body Fat - under 15 %

Here's a tip: the reason you're in the situation you're in (being a fatass) is because you're lazy. Change that and maybe you can change your body. -- Motivation Gold from Anthony.

Cornered the market. The only other place to grab food during a half hour lunch (yeah, half hour. I don't have a car and I wouldn't bring one anyways with the price of gas and the brutal parking fees downtown) is a donut shop. If I had an hour I could reach a Subway, Machu Wok (almost as bad as McD probably), and sushi bar.

That said I'll be making some sandwiches and bringing some fruits, vegtables, and nuts. Screw McD.

The grease content is saturated fats, including the evil buzzword of the year "trans-fat". They're, from what I understand, not the 'clean' fat intake I should be striving for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet_kid
    I think this might be the best protein/fat ratio at McD's. I just looked quickly though.

Chicken McGrill:
    http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal?...em&itemID=5967
    good find. I unchecked the Mayo (since I don't like it) and the calories already have dropped by 100. WOW! I knew mayo was high fat but I wasn't expecting a it to be THAT bad. A little mayo is like the same as an entire can of protien. Just goes to show you.

as far as eating at work, just pack a lunch. If your work doesn't allow you to bring food with you then you are probably making Nike sneakers.

Wannabebig Member
    Man I hate it when there is no decent food nearby - thats what made me into the Tuna Salad making machine I am today.

Place I used to work had a McDs, Pizza Hut and a KFC and a petrol station. Thats it nothing else within the time allowed for lunch.

Trans Fat!? !?
    Now July 06
    Height - 6 foot 3
    Weight - 215 pounds
    Body Fat - 17.3 %

Target Dec 06
    Weight - 230 pounds
    Body Fat - under 15 %

It's pretty easy...
    1. Go get cottage cheese out of company fridge at 10:30.
    2. Sit down at desk.
    3. Eat cottage cheese.
    4. Bring huge lunch- eat 1/2 - 2/3 of it at 12:30-1.
    5. Eat remainder of huge lunch at desk at 3:30.
    6. Eat a couple low-fat string cheeses on the way to pick up girlfriend/drive home (if you're smart enough to remember to pack them, otherwise be STARVING when you get home).

Drink a shake right before you leave for work and right when you get home.
    I really do think the trick is to pack a really large lunch that consists of several separate things, and to just eat pieces of it throughout the day.

I guess most jobs might not be as flexible/low-key as mine...
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Got it. Bring as much food to the office as the rest of the 'always falling off their diet' staff combined. They already watch me devour everything in sight enviously whenever the boss buys pizza or chinese or thai.

I'm going to go look for some protein shake mix tonight after work probably. I'm wary of whey because whole wheat bread really doesn't agree with my body. Think that will be a problem with whey? Are there any alternates I should keep my eye out for?

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    whole wheat bread really doesn't agree with my body. Think that will be a problem with whey? Are there any alternates I should keep my eye out for?
    whey is a milk product, not a wheat product.
    Checkitout: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...%3A+whey&meta=

If you're looking for an alternative to whole wheat bread though, you can get some tasty wraps that come in a nice resealable ziploc bag that you can keep in your desk drawer, or filing cabinet. (I do this) Then each day you only need to bring the filling(s) for lunch instead of hauling the wraps in each day.

I like to fill it with no-fat hummus (easy to make) or you can add fat (olive oil) if you like. You can put chopped lettuce/spinach/julienned carrots, shrimp (20 Pacific white shrimp = 16g protein and they taste fabulous.) a bit of hot-sauce, cherry tomatoes. Or some chicken (canned even), or steak. Go CRAZY! :evillaugh

You seem to have some good suggestions to go on, but I'll throw mine in too.

Breakfast: shake (milk, pb, whey, oats), yogurt when i get to work
    10:30: cottage cheese
    lunch: 2 turkey sandwiches on wheat, some side, whether it be apple sauce or what not, milk (I just started taking a gallon of milk to work with me)
    3:30: nuts or cottage cheese ( or leftovers from lunch)

Take advantage of having a fridge at work.

Shakes and sandwiches.

200 calorie or less, sandwich

-Natures Own Healthline Wheat Bread with double fiber (5g a slice)- 40 calories per sclice
    -Oscar Mayer deli sliced turkey/roast beef/ham- 50 calories per serving
    -Fat Free Cheese slice-40 calories
    -Light Mayo (1 tblsp) 30 calories

damn good! 200 calories measurable! easy to make in advance and store in coolers or office fridge etc! even fewer calories of you use mustard instead of mayo! High Fiber! Low Fat!

Make you own protein bars. the ones i make have about 500 cals/30p/40c/22f couldnt be better if your bulking im guna miss them when i get into cutting.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Had someone grab me some cottage cheese because they like to hit a grocery store on their lunch break (car).

First time I've ever had it. People wandering by went 'is that yogurt? cottage cheese? oh... yuck!'.

I hope it's an aquired taste. The texture made me wince every time I put some in my mouth.

Sandwiches are looking pretty good right now.

Shock, try salt and pepper on the cottage cheese, it makes a world of difference.

Salt? It's already got something like 600 mg per cup. Still, I can see how that would help.

My first desperate thought was 'chocolate sauce'

Or celery. Or an apple. Anything with a crunch or a strong taste..

Wealth of info here... one thing is for sure: I have to either get up earlier or make a lunch the night before.

The pepper is more important actually, it adds a nice flavor.

Chocolate sauce would be.....errr.....unique.

It takes me 10-15 minutes to make my meals for the day. That may or may not include boiling eggs.
    Last edited by Nuts; 07-26-2005 at 02:46 PM.

Splenda and cinnamon in cottage cheese rocks.