The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Ok, I've got a good diet plan, and training plan going, but now I need to add cardio. I plan on going back home to Sacramento,Ca in mid July. I haven't been home in 5 years.
    I've always worked out, but the last year has been rocky diet wise, I was going through some tough marital times and I've gotten up to 240lbs, probably 18% bodyfat, needless to say it sucks and I've never been this heavy.
    Everything is good now, so I'm wondering if I should do cardio twice a day for 45-60 minutes, or just once a day after I wake up for 45-60 mins, etc. I have the metabolism of a slug, but I've seen many bb's programs showing they do cardio 2 times a day before a competition. Is this too much, and could it result in losing muscle?
    Any advice would be great, I really need to get my bodyfat down in the single digit range for once in my life

Raildog
    If you can't knock out a dozen or so chins, your either too fat or too weak, take your pick...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

From your signature at the bottom, you sure sound like a strong boy if you be doin' dozen+ chins at 240. :-) Well, 240 at 18% bodyfat isn't bad. I'd do cardio 3x a week in the morning on an empty stomach for 30-40 minutes. Any more is pointless. If you have your diet in order, you can lose bodyfat on that alone. There's no reason to throw in tons of aerobics. Get a great diet, do moderate aerobics, lift your ass off, and look good.

Cobra,

Good idea. However, I do 20 mins of cardio on an empty stomach 2 - 3 times a week.

Doing the various intensity. I outlined in an old post... I believe Bill Phillps when he says that anything over 20 mins isn't needed. If you work your ass off in 20 mins, with the intensity stuff.. it works.

I have seen results...

Just my .02 cents.

Twiztid

Raildog, if you want an explanation of the 20 min intensity cardio thing, lemme know and i will post it. Cobra, your feedback is more then welcome as well...
    Stay Down With The

Runnin' with the Hatchet.. like WHUT?!?

20 minutes? Hmmm.

I seem to remember someone telling me that the first 20 minutes of cardio burns muscle glycogen and that fat metabolism doesn't kick in until after 20 or 30 minutes.

Urban myth? Someone pls help.

Originally posted by hemants
    20 minutes? Hmmm.

I seem to remember someone telling me that the first 20 minutes of cardio burns muscle glycogen and that fat metabolism doesn't kick in until after 20 or 30 minutes.

Urban myth? Someone pls help.
    Myth myth myth. Glycogen in the blood stream is burned first.

That 20 minute figure is thrown around quite often.

Essentially, it is sort of true.

Your body is using FFA and glucose/glyucogen for energy all the time in varying ratios.

After 20 minutes or so of aerobics, there is a shift towards using more FFA and less Glycogen (usually)

For the most part, it doesn't matter. The main thing is to create a caloric defecit. The number of cals you burn is far more important.

Still no definitive answer it seems.

Here's some interesting background info I found on

http://www.biochem.usyd.edu.au/~gare...es/ppframe.htm

Summary (doesn't mean it's correct, I don't know):

Gentle exercise (walking)

1. Uses muscle glucose in slow, red muscle tissue which have loads of mitochondria (energy factories)
    2. This decreases blood glucose
    3. Blood glucose must be constant (your brain would die without it) thus insulin decreases and glucagon increases
    4. this results in glucose stores in the liver being utilized and stimualates fatty acid oxidation in the white adipose tissue (ie. fat burning) in an attempt to preserve blood glucose.

Strenuous exercise (running)

1-3 as above

4. If exercise becomes more strenuous, in step 4. the enzymes which catalyze fatty acid oxidation reach their maximum capacity which results in further depletion of liver stores because fatty acid burning isn't providing enough fuel.

5. The body overcompensates when glycogen is depleted by storing more for the next time around.

Implications?

1. Cardio after a sugary drink will take longer for fatty acid oxidation to begin because you are starting in a state where insulin is high and glucagon is low and you want the reverse. This is probably where the 20 minute number comes from. In terms of cardio on an empty stomach, it probably still takes some time for insulin to drop and glucagon to rise sufficiently to trigger fatty acid oxidation. Maybe 5 minutes? 15? Who knows.

2. Walking vs running? Not sure. For marathon runners, having high glycogen stores is a good thing because it allows them to sprint towards the finish. For fat burning, as long as you are in a state of maximum fatty acid oxidation, any increase in intensity does not burn fat at a faster rate. What is this intensity? Walking, speed walking, joggin? Probably depends on the individual.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by hemants; 02-26-2001 at 11:48 AM.