The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Question: Maintain & Gain?

First off, I've been reading these forums for the past week and I wanted to say, they're an excellent source of info. In doing my searches, I've found the same question asked many times, regarding cutting and trying to get stronger. It seems the previaling wisdom on this one is; it's possible, but not likely.

I've been lifting 3/4 times per week, for close to two years. I'm 37, 5' 11" and weigh 182. While I'm happy with what I achieved, but think I could have achieved more, and would like to do what I can to head in that direction. Partly, I think the problem was, I wasn't taking in near enough protein (almost zero supplementation). While my diet wasn't bad (My-O-Plex bar for breakfast, chicken salad and pretzels for lunch, lettuce with diced chicken, cheddar cheese and ranch dressing for dinner) I wasn't eating what a body builder "should" eat. So, my question is, can I expect to see gains if:

- I only eat my 15 grams of calories per pound (maintenance)
    - I eat my 1.0 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound
    - up my training intensity
    - begin to supplement my diet with ON 100% Whey (mornings and afternoons), Nitrean (evenings), protein/createan/detrose PWO shake
    - Make an effort to get my alotted fats from fish oils, natty PB and mixed nuts

Or do I need to up caloric intake to 17/18 grams per pound?

Thanks,

Zod
    Last edited by General Zod; 07-12-2005 at 09:33 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    i dont know can you see gains? why dont you try it and find out if its not working then you have your answer

what's this caloric intake of grams per pound? How many calories do you eat?

You need to eat above maintenance in order to ensure that you are putting on lean mass. Protein is extremely important, but supplementation is not necessary if you can get it from whole foods. The good fats will help, as will the creatine.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    what's this caloric intake of grams per pound? How many calories do you eat?
    I'm 182, so I'm trying to eat approximately 2,700.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    You need to eat above maintenance in order to ensure that you are putting on lean mass. Protein is extremely important, but supplementation is not necessary if you can get it from whole foods. The good fats will help, as will the creatine.
    Ideally I'd like to get it from whole foods. I've switched to oatmeal in the mornings, steak (low fat cut) or chicken for dinner. I'm making an attempt to get at minimum, 200 grams of protein per day (something I hadn't been doing previously).

I would have thought changing my diet, adding the supplementation, and upping the intensity would be enough, without needing to deliberately put on pounds. Am I wrong? Do I need to eat more calories to gain strength?

Thanks.

Zod

Quote Originally Posted by General Zod
    I
    Do I need to eat more calories to gain strength?
    The basic answer is, yes.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Getting There!
    Instead of using formulas to find my maintenance calories, i experimented to find that value. From there, i can adjust it for weight gain or loss. I did use a formula to find my ballpark but it was off by quite a bit and I have been paying for it too. I wanted to add some muscle, i was 212lb and a little chunky. I went on a 4k diet from a formula maintenance level of about 3600 cals. I jumped to 230lb in about 2.5-3 months and made a lot of strength/muscle size gains. I've been trying to loose the weight lately. I went to my 'maintenance' of 3600 cals and kept gaining weight. I then dropped to 3200 cals and still gained a little. I then dropped to 3000 cals and stayed about even. Now i'm on a 2700 cal diet and am slowly loosing the weight.

I say experiment for yourself. I personally don't have a lot of muscle and my job consists of pretty much sitting behind a desk. So my actual caloric needs were lower than the particular formula I used (I tried to calculate it accurately, it just didn't work out for me). Maybe my workouts were not as hardcore as the formula predicted they would be. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by sphillip40
    I say experiment for yourself.
    While I accept that I'll have to learn through trial and error, because everyone is different, I'd prefer not to head off in a direction that is going to be a clear waste of time.

Here is a link to my Fitday profile:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...er=General+Zod

I've only been keeping it for a few days. Saturday isn't complete (I've had no luck tracking down the nutrtitional value of Indian food) and today is filled in with what I've eaten as well as with what I plan to eat. If someone could suggest some things I could add to my diet, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Zod

Getting There!
    While I accept that I'll have to learn through trial and error, because everyone is different, I'd prefer not to head off in a direction that is going to be a clear waste of time.
    Zod
    hehe, that's what I tried as well but it didn't quite work out that way. I did my research too. I can say that what I have done though was not a waste of time. I'm very happy about my gains including my size. I'm just not too happy with more pudge than i expected. I was hoping to do more of a clean bulk. I now know better next time I will not go 1000+ over my maintenance now that I roughly know my maintenance ( I also know that this level changes over time and since i'm tracking my cals and weight, i'm more in control ).

I think you may need more calories than 2,700, but otherwise your diet plan looks pretty good. Try to get ~3,200 calories, if you really want to see some mass increase. I'm also clean bulking right now, and I'm trying to get around 4,000 calories a day and 300 grams of protein. I really doubt you'd see any substantial mass increase at 2,700 calories.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    I'm also clean bulking right now
    What is "clean buling"? Thanks.

Zod

Not to gain strength, but it makes gaining muscle a whole lot easier. Trust me, I had spent about a year lifting weights and eating at maintenance. I was making gains, but nothing huge. About two months ago I started bulking (eating above maintenance) and I have made huge strength and size gains. I've put on about 10lbs with no noticeable fat.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Gaining weight while putting on as little fat as possible. To achieve this you need to eat clean foods at about 500calories above maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by CiteCollegiale
    Gaining weight while putting on as little fat as possible. To achieve this you need to eat clean foods at about 500calories above maintenance.
    Thanks. Could you elaborate on what "clean foods" are?

Zod

Thanks. Could you elaborate on what "clean foods" are?

Zod
    Eating cleanly refers to nonconsumption of deep fried, greasy, fatty foods such as takeout and fast food, instead getting your daily caloric requirements from whole food.

Read the sticky on "what a bodybuilder eats" in the nutrition forum.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles