The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Mornings

Good Mornings

So I'm happy that I think I got the general movement of this excercise because it looks like a lot of fun. I just have one question left. How much should I be bending my knees to go down? I could do it like a squat almost (except move in a different direction) by just bending my knees more and going forther down, or I could just leave them slightly bent the whole time and go to parallel with the floor. Which is better?

*Awesome picture included.*

Notice how picture two is more like an ATF squat but instead of going straight up you go up like a good morning. How do people here do it? I'm not exactly sure which one's better so please don't jump on me for worrying about form.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

#1 looks closest to being right. The most important thing to remember about a GM is that the bar should be in front of your knees when you're parallel to the ground.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    you should keep your knees "soft" that means not totally locked but slightly bent and remember to bend at the hips and not the lower back and to keep a tight arch. the slight bend in the knees makes sure you work the hams and glutes more directly instead of over emphasizing the back. more importantly the slight bend in the knees actually saves the knees from being injured due to the constant compression on the joint. it takes the stress off the joint and places it on the muscles, which is much safer
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    #1 is better unless....#2 is more of a GM squat, which is also a good exercise to help with bettering your squat, many westsiders use it

:withstupi

A GM Squat is great if that's what you're trying to do

Which would you suggest? A good morning or a good morning squat? I don't know how popular good morning squats are so I'm just asking.

If you're still trying to figure out the proper form, a regular Good Morning would be best for you. I really only do GM Squats when I fail on a Max GM. I just sit back into a squat and bring the weight back up that way.

Banned
    a GM and a GM squat will do different things

if you want to focus on working your hams and some glutes, #1 is closest to how I do 'em. I go to parallel with my torso and allow a *slight* bend in my knees

what about doing GM sitting on a bench? I've haven't tried it. But does it have lesser hamstring involvment?

Yes, seated GMs are more of a low back movement.

What's the difference in muscles used between the two?

Yeah, I was thinking that: I might not need a spot for Good Mornings because if I fail I can just duck down into the squat position and bring the weight up. Does this work for anyone? Maybe it doesn't because maybe the body is too fatigued too switch positions.

wouldn't you still be doing it in a squat rack or powercage?

Yeah, but the bar at the gym is preset by the way it was built.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    What's the difference in muscles used between the two?

Yeah, I was thinking that: I might not need a spot for Good Mornings because if I fail I can just duck down into the squat position and bring the weight up. Does this work for anyone? Maybe it doesn't because maybe the body is too fatigued too switch positions.
    good luck ducking brother.....that doesn't really work...do u have a power rack?...if u do set the pins to just about the spot where your back will be parallel to the floor so if u do fail it will go down to the pins......

My pins can't be moved because it's preset for like 2 feet from the floor (really low) because our gym doesn't have a "typical" power rack. We only have this one badboy too. If you do GMs with a spotter, where should they be standing and how should they help get the bar up if you fail.

ooooo....wow that sucks....GM's with a spotter?...if anything i would believe that they would spot you like a squat..one guy behind you with their arms under your armpits....and if you have other training partners, one guy on each side to watch the plates....

You'd really need at least two spotters for a GM. Behind you they can't help, Infront of you they can't help.

Like I said, I usually just sit back into a full squat and press the weight back up if I fail. This only works if you're GMing with a weight you can squat easily. Which should be the case. In general, a GM will never be a heavier weight than what you can squat.

Yeah, since I just started GMs my squat is like...3 times heavier so I think I could bring it back up.

When I squat I have the spotter behind me and if I start to fail he just gentley puts his hands on the bar (between my neck and shoulder) and barley lifts up. I was taught that this was one way to do it. If my buddy was standing in front of me for GMs then he could do the same thing right except from the front, no?
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 06-23-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Well, that or you could drop the bar on him and kill him.

No, no. He would be standing for enough forward that if I feel it wouldn't hit him, but if I was struggling he could reach over and just slightly lift the bar.

Damn, how do people on this forum do GMs? I'm guessing most of us don't have 2 training partners. (That's assuming you can't move the bars at your gym.)

One spotter isn't going to do **** except put both of you in danger. If you have one on each side, great, but otherwise use the rack to your advantage. It's not hard to transition into a squat position. All you have to do is bend your knees and you're there. Even if you can't bring the weight up, you have the rack to drop it on. Also, you'll probably notice that you know when you're going to fail on the way down, so you can choose to bail early if you're worried about moving into a squat position.

Either way, problem solved.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Awesome, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bIgHwN86
    ooooo....wow that sucks....GM's with a spotter?...if anything i would believe that they would spot you like a squat..one guy behind you with their arms under your armpits....and if you have other training partners, one guy on each side to watch the plates....
    yeah but YOU'll be in a bentover position with back nearly parallel to the ground. I don't think the spotter can grab you quickly enough. PLus i would be distracted knowign i'm bending over and a guy is right behind me. It's like prison all over again.. hahah jk

Getting There!
    Are GM's a must in a good routine (opinion obviously)? I started on these 3 weeks ago, kept the same weight for the past 3 weeks to get used the exercise, and recently, tweaked my lower back on my heavy set (gonna put me out 4 to 5 days). Now i'm contemplating taking them out of my routine. I hear they're a helper with squats and DL's. Maybe i should keep them in? What'ya think?

I love them. For my hammys I do 3 sets of these and then 3 sets of alt. curls.