The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    756

    I think im taking in to much protein...

    Is it bad if your taking in more then 2g per lb, I don't aim for that high just the foods I eat have alot of protein lol. I get 300+g and I only weight about 135lbs. Is this bad?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    If you're healthy and active, no problem.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    756
    O ok good, kind of hard to get in all the calories without the protein. Unless I ate more junk food which im just not into that much only when I get a craving or something but other then that I just don't feel like eating junk food.
    Last edited by YungLifter; 07-12-2005 at 08:24 AM.

  5. #4
    Grasshoppa
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cerritos, CA
    Posts
    1,670
    I actually find it quite easy to get a lot of calories w/ not so much protein and still eat clean. Fats are very calorie dense and I'm a sucker for carbs.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    756
    yea but my carbss are already high as it is and my fats are good to.
    Last edited by YungLifter; 07-12-2005 at 06:00 PM.

  7. #6
    Om. Avocado. MM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    Meh, I'm touch and go at around 300-350 every day, and I feel okay.

    Wait... was that my kidney crying?
    Last edited by MM; 07-12-2005 at 10:20 PM.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.


  8. #7
    Team Chesticles! Unholy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,880
    Lol, shush, as long as you drink water your fine.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

    At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

  9. #8
    Om. Avocado. MM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    I don't drink water. It doesn't have protein in it.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.


  10. #9
    Senior Member Vapour Trails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    812
    300g for a 135lber is excessive.

    I just looked at your fitday, I don't really think you need to eat 3 scoops of whey a day with all the other whole proteins you are consuming.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

  11. #10
    Senior Member dissipate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,437
    that amount of protein is okay.. personally i feel that fats could go higher to 30% total caloric intake.

  12. #11
    Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    738
    I suggest upping your fat intake and carb intake, and lowering your protein intake.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

  13. #12
    Grasshoppa
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cerritos, CA
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by YungLifter
    yea but my carbss are already high as it is and my fats are good to.
    I doubt your carbs and fats are all that high if you're getting in that much protein at your weight. Not to say that getting your calories from protein sources is bad, but you need to lower your sense of "high". If you're worried that your protein intake is rather high, then how do you go about keeping calories while lowering protein? You raise carbs/fats and lower protein.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 07-12-2005 at 11:05 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    756
    I only take in 3 scoops of whey on workout days 1 for before and 2 for after on non workoutdays i take sometimes 1 if any.

  15. #14
    Senior Member thajeepster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by YungLifter
    O ok good, kind of hard to get in all the calories without the protein. Unless I ate more junk food which im just not into that much only when I get a craving or something but other then that I just don't feel like eating junk food.
    i have the same problem... you need protien at each meal, and if you have the typical chicken/rice/veggies combo, with the total protein for the day divided by six meals... well... im ending up eating like 100g raw of chicken per meal now, thats barely anything... I am saving on chicken though

  16. #15
    Senior Member Vapour Trails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by YungLifter
    I only take in 3 scoops of whey on workout days 1 for before and 2 for after on non workoutdays i take sometimes 1 if any.
    You really don't need 2 scoops afterwards if you've already had one before.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

  17. #16
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5
    Unrelated to the original post but along the same topic, I just got my results from a physical/urine/blood test. Everything was great except my Urea Nitrogen (BUN) was high (26). The range is 7-25 so I'm not too concerned.

    I eat about 1g/lb (5'10", 175lbs.). The doc said to lower my protein intake and that as much as I'm eating, my muscles aren't seeing most of it -- hence the high nitrogen content in my urea. Now all the body building write-ups on here beg to differ and since upping my protein intake a few months back I've definitely noticed tissue growth. Seems like I'll either get a doctor's opinion (who's looking out for my overall health), or your all's opinion (who's obsessed with weight training) but never a good balance...

    What's typical of body builders when they get old? Are there studies on their livers and kidneys when they're 60-100 years old? I wonder what the longterm effects are for someone with a high protein diet.

  18. #17
    Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    covered in peanut butter cookie dough
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by MM
    I don't drink water. It doesn't have protein in it.


  19. #18
    Perpetual Hunger
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Barbell CIty
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by MM
    I don't drink water. It doesn't have protein in it.

  20. #19
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
    You really don't need 2 scoops afterwards if you've already had one before.

    Who the **** are you to be telling people what they do and do not need. You dont "need" to be adding any scoops of protein to any meals. But it certainly can help.

    I get in 500g plus when bulking, I must be dead or something, you guys are too funny.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  21. #20
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanz
    Unrelated to the original post but along the same topic, I just got my results from a physical/urine/blood test. Everything was great except my Urea Nitrogen (BUN) was high (26). The range is 7-25 so I'm not too concerned.

    I eat about 1g/lb (5'10", 175lbs.). The doc said to lower my protein intake and that as much as I'm eating, my muscles aren't seeing most of it -- hence the high nitrogen content in my urea. Now all the body building write-ups on here beg to differ and since upping my protein intake a few months back I've definitely noticed tissue growth. Seems like I'll either get a doctor's opinion (who's looking out for my overall health), or your all's opinion (who's obsessed with weight training) but never a good balance...

    What's typical of body builders when they get old? Are there studies on their livers and kidneys when they're 60-100 years old? I wonder what the longterm effects are for someone with a high protein diet.
    From your post it seems your doctor didnt say having a high nitrogen content was bad, only that it showed excessive intake. It's not an unhealthy state, and I couldnt imagine him saying otherwise. If you've been making gains in tissue growth I dont see what the problem is.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  22. #21
    Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    covered in peanut butter cookie dough
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    From your post it seems your doctor didnt say having a high nitrogen content was bad, only that it showed excessive intake. It's not an unhealthy state, and I couldnt imagine him saying otherwise. If you've been making gains in tissue growth I dont see what the problem is.
    Right. What that means is simply that you are experiencing expensive pee.


    As long as your liver function is normal and you drink a decent amount of water excess protein intake really shouldn't be an issue.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •