Thread: heart rate monitor question

Hybrid View

heart rate monitor question

Hi. I just got the heart rate monitor thingy and the directions are quite un-revealing. It tells you how to set it and everything but it doesn't explain what range to aim for for specific goals. I am interested in the fat burning range. One mode of the watch does say fat, but it don't explain anywhere what that means, I can assume fat burning but wish not to jump to conclusions. Using the cheesy formula given in the instruction manual, ive determined my max heart rate is 199. I am male, 21, 69 inches and 139 pounds. Any help would be mucho appreciated, thank you so much.

have you tried visiting the manufacturer's website?

I bought this Nike watch and it has all of these special features on it. Like it tells me when im above my range and below. U dont need the all those features. All you need it do is tell you what your heart rate is. Yeah your max should be 199 so when your training you usually dont want to go over 85% of your max. I really dont even use it any more cause i know how my body feels in that range and when i go above that i slow it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AzBboy
    Hi. I just got the heart rate monitor thingy and the directions are quite un-revealing. It tells you how to set it and everything but it doesn't explain what range to aim for for specific goals. I am interested in the fat burning range. One mode of the watch does say fat, but it don't explain anywhere what that means, I can assume fat burning but wish not to jump to conclusions. Using the cheesy formula given in the instruction manual, ive determined my max heart rate is 199. I am male, 21, 69 inches and 139 pounds. Any help would be mucho appreciated, thank you so much.
    Get your resting HR in the morning after awakening and i'll tell you a more accurate reading of what your Max heart rate would be. Take your pulse at the thumb side of your wrist with your pointer and middle finger. Count for 30 seconds while watching a clock. Get the number then multiply it by 2. That will be your resting HR. A good fat burning zone would be from 50%-90% of your max. But you don't wanna be near 90% for too long. Also you will want to build up slowly.
    Last edited by waynis; 07-14-2005 at 03:33 PM.
    Never Giving In.