The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flex

flex

http://www.flexonline.com/train/6?page=1

I think they've reached an all time low.
    Last edited by CiteCollegiale; 07-29-2005 at 11:34 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I didn't even read it, just read the subtitles of each of the seven exercises, and I have to say I'm disgusted.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

It's funny how the people they reference in the "Dont Bench Press" section (Jay Cutler being one of them) are on gear !!!

That makes any training advice they're giving out, other than diet maybe, non-applicable.
    Last edited by Wierz; 07-29-2005 at 11:42 AM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

Hmm. I have to say I fundamentally agree with him for many of the examples:
    BARBELL CURLS
    LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS
    BARBELL ROWS
    PRESSES BEHIND THE NECK

For an advanced bodybuilder, what he says is probably true for MOST or ALL of the 7 exercises.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Uh...some of those I definitely don't agree with (bench press, lame squat in place of actual squat, etc).
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

It's interesting for what is says and for what it doesn't say.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

I have to say I agree barbell curls can be bad but I love laying tricep extentions using Ez-Bar's.

Well, that cuts my workout time down considerably. Yay!
    "Deadlifts cure all. If your back isn't getting any bigger deadlift. If you legs aren't getting any bigger deadlift. If the alternator in your car isn't working... deadlift."

Quote Originally Posted by Wierz
    It's funny how the people they reference in the "Dont Bench Press" section (Jay Cutler being one of them) are on gear !!!

That makes any training advice they're giving out, other than diet maybe, non-applicable.
    Actually, diet advise is different on and of gear, too.

As I understand it, "on", you have preferential nutrient partitioning into muscle tissue, and less need for dietary fats for your endocrine support (since your hormones are largely exogenous). Translation: eat lots of protein and lots of carbs. Ditch fats, since they pretty much become empty calories under this paradigm.

Kinda explains a lot about how the low-fat dieting mythology is so enmeshed in the fitness industry, if you ask me.

Consider what you're doing when squatting. You have a heavy weight on your traps, sometimes more than 500 pounds, pressing down on your spine. Then you bend down, putting your lumbar region in a vulnerable position, not to mention the strain on your knees and even your shoulders, from holding the bar.
    Already this article is flawed... I read two paragraphs and I seriously think this guy has no idea what he's talking about. tuttut
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Actually, diet advise is different on and of gear, too.

As I understand it, "on", you have preferential nutrient partitioning into muscle tissue, and less need for dietary fats for your endocrine support (since your hormones are largely exogenous). Translation: eat lots of protein and lots of carbs. Ditch fats, since they pretty much become empty calories under this paradigm.

Kinda explains a lot about how the low-fat dieting mythology is so enmeshed in the fitness industry, if you ask me.
    It's almost like you're on another higher level of intelligence.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicdebree88
    Already this article is flawed... I read two paragraphs and I seriously think this guy has no idea what he's talking about. tuttut
    It's a little (okay, a lot) hyperbolic, but there is a point to be made about taller people having to bend forward quite far when squatting, to the point where lower back involvement becomes too much. It's why I sometimes prefatigue my legs before squatting. You'll note that both the squat and barbell row recommendations come from overuse of the lower back, which is a very relevant concern.

I also think the "being on gear" has little to do with these suggestions. It's too easy to throw out that catch-all excuse/criticism and ignore the larger points of the article, which I think are fairly relevant.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

i think hes got a point with behind the neck presses and to a lesser extend skull crushers and curls. aside from that hes full of **** imo.

Be that as it may, some of us have a VERY long way to go before squatting 500 lbs. becomes a reality.

The article neglects to mention, that with proper form, many of the problems discussed therein would not be a concern.

That being said, training styles do change over time as a lifter progresses from one stage in his or her career to the next. It may be that fifteen years down the road that squats (to pick a lift) may not feature as prominently in my workouts as they do now.

edited for grammar.
    Last edited by Focused70; 07-29-2005 at 03:16 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

I doubt very much Bob C. even wrote this article--although it is similiar to other articles I've seen attributed to him, so it could be. For anything positive or negative I would say about it, I think the following is very good advice:
    You don't have to do anything except what works best for you
    I find the whole notion of a given exercise being required to get big simply silly. Sure, do compound movements, work hard, and eat right. But there is no magic routine or exercise that's going to solve all your problems and make you hyooooge.

A number of the arguments made in the article are pretty valid IMO.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 07-29-2005 at 05:21 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

I have mixed feelings about the article. I totally agree with the straight bar comment. I have never done a full set of straight bar curls or tricep extensions just because it hurts my wrists to have them straight out like that. EZ bar is the way to go for curls.

I have to disagree about the skull crushers comment. I dont know what he's talking about "bouncing" the bar off your face. Ive never touched my head with the bar. I know he's big and probably using huge weight but he should worry about controlling the weight not knocking himself out with it.

Im big on bench and incline bench hurts my shoulders. Ive never had a pec or shoulder problem asssociated with bench... I guess Ive always had proper form for it.

I could see how you could get injured from squats if you are doing them improperly and are using more weight than you can handle, and if done just a little off, you can put a lot of stress on your lower back.

I agree with the behind the head presses and pull ups. Yes they do work the back and shoulders real good, but they can really tear up your shoulders and rotator cuffs.

He's got some controversial comments in that article, but at least he supported his opinions with good facts. Its all in the individual whos lifting, though. You have to find what works for you and what doesnt. Remember, if it hurts, you arnt doing it right, and you should stop.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    It's almost like you're on another higher level of intelligence.
    <blushes coyly, flutters eyelashes...>

If your taller, like what the article said 5-10+ it's harder to do squats. I think this is BS b/c if your anatomically correct, the ratio of your back length to legs to height should be porportionaly identical to someone who is shorter. So why would it be any harder? Deadlifts I can see that being a problem b/c the ratio of the bar height/lifter height would be off. Say for instance, 5ft guy dl a bar that is 10inches off the ground. Now for a guy who is 6ft tall the bar needs to be at 12inches off the ground to be at the same ratio to make the lift even.

3:16
    he did mention at the begining, he used some exercsie to help get big. hes but hes more maintaining and built a good foundation.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

this article is pretty good IMHO... i am not going to stop doing those exercises, but it does give me somethign to think about.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

I agree with the BB curls they kill my wrists and Elbows, EX bar for the win. Not squating? He should be shot for that!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I think that artice is complete and utter $HIT.... he harps aginst all of the big 3 lifts. Then he goes and says that a strait bar is bad because of all the inner elbow stress... well if he practiced what he preaches he wouldnt be loading up plates and he would have 0% inner elbow strain (atleast according to him). People arnt built for squats.. rofl I wonder what is an "ideal" squat build... I was squatting nearly 500lbs and my traps or anything else never had a problem. Problem is that people who have weak cores try to do to much, when my overall core strength was higher I could place 400+lbs on my back and not strain under it... now It would probably not be comfortable. BB curls dont cause any extra pain then a standard EZ bar or DB curl.

Total garbage.... my .02

riprogrammazione
    It states clearly "for advanced bodybuilders" right from the start. Few posters in this thread if any, including myself, apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    It states clearly "for advanced bodybuilders" right from the start. Few posters in this thread if any, including myself, apply.
    Actually, no.

The exact quote is "For advanced bodybuilders, this is more like the "King of All Back Breakers and Butt Builders." For newbie and perhaps intermediate lifters, this is still one of the best movements for adding mass and increasing strength provided that proper form is utilized throughout the movement.

Mr. Cicherillo makes the statement that "you don't have to do anything except what works best for you", thereby implying that the methodology laid out in the article can be applied to any individual at any level of progression. That's a pretty bold statement to make, not one I necessarily agree with.

You don't get to learn calculus without learning basic math and algebra first; I would imagine that a similar analogy applies to bodybuilding. Build the foundation first before delving into advanced concepts.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

I still think he's right on about 3 or 4 of the exercises for all trainees.