Thread: Hip Flexibilty

Wannabebig Member

Hip Flexibilty

Hey, I have some trouble going to parallel with squats. It just seems that when I go down I can't bend my hips anymore. When I do this it hurts. Also, is it okay for my knees to bow out a little when I do a squat? Any advice would be helpful. Just so you know my feet flare out about 35 degrees and my feet are a little more than shoulder width.

Keep trying, it will get better. I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. I'm still not as flexible as I like, but I'm getting there. Keep the weight low until you get your form and flexibility better.

:withstupi
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Why are you pointing your toes out?

Wannabebig Member
    I can go down lower, with less problems, if I point my toes out.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blake2616
    I can go down lower, with less problems, if I point my toes out.
    Same with me. I point my toes out when squatting, but just a bit. Probably like 5-10 degrees.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Try taking a wider stance for a while. As your form improves, narrow up your stance. Try to let your knees travel in the same direction as your toes. Your knees CAN go over your toes a bit in a squat. Start light, build it up.

So is it okay to have the toes point out just a bit? And my knees ARE going in that barely pointed out direction.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Alright, that's good to know. Because when I try to point my knees perfectly straight forward, it's very uncomfortable.
    Lifting Journal

I don't think you need much hip flexability to squat, it's like sitting down! Surely you can sit down. Use less weight. If anything, you need ankle flexability.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Quote Originally Posted by IRN-BRU
    I don't think you need much hip flexability to squat, it's like sitting down! Surely you can sit down. Use less weight. If anything, you need ankle flexability.
    If you're not using your hips when you squat, then you're right; you don't need much hip flexibility and strength. But, you're severely limiting how much you'll be ultimately be able to squat.

Head up, chest out, abs tight throughout the movement. Sitting back, not down, will help activate the hips more. Forcing the knees out (and like Built said, make sure they are tracking in line w. your feet) will lock your hips into the movement.

If you are lacking in hip flexibility, you can do a lot of things. I would start by widening your stance (again, like Built said). Side lunges really hammer them. Spread Eagle Sit-Ups (w. the legs slightly bent) will also hit the hip flexors. Lunges are a nice for a change occassionally. Bulgarian Split Squats (one-legged squat w. back leg up on a low platform or bench) are a great exercise too). Those are some options, but squatting more will probably do the most for helping your hip flexibility for squats...

This probably goes against conventional wisdom, but I can get deeper MUCH easier if I use heavier weight. I have no problems getting down with 300lbs on my back, but I can hardly even get past parallel with just my bodyweight or with a 45 on each side when I'm warming up

That's normal - especially if you squat wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    That's normal - especially if you squat wide.
    Even narrow. I have problems with front/back balance and depth with anything less than 135. I can only squat with bodyweight by holding my arms out way in front.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Even narrow. I have problems with front/back balance and depth with anything less than 135. I can only squat with bodyweight by holding my arms out way in front.
    Word. Going even parallel with anything less than 1 plate is very ugly for me. Same deal with the arms and BW squats too.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 08-05-2005 at 07:20 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL