The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    77

    westside training for bodybuilder

    Hi, would this be a good routine for someone that wanted to incorporate a westside template for hypertrophy purposes?

    Day 1 - Max Effort (ME) squat/deadlift
    Squat - Use 80% of max for 5-6 sets of 4 Reps
    Glute-ham raises - 4 x 8-10
    Cable Crunch - 4 x 8-12
    Barbell rows - 4 x 8-10

    Day 2- Max Effort (ME) Bench press
    Bench Press (incline/decline/flat) Use 80% of max for 5-6 sets of 4 Reps
    Floor Press 4 x 5-10
    Cable pushdowns - 4 x 8-12
    Db side lateral or front raises - 4 x 10-12
    Weighted Pull-ups - 4 x 8-10
    Alternating db Curl - 3 x 8-10

    Day 3- Dynamic Effort (DE) Squat
    Box squat Use 70% of your max for 5-6 sets of 6 reps
    Barbell rows - 4 x 8-10
    Side bends - 4 x 8-12
    Bb Shrugs - 4 x 8-12

    Day 4- Dynamic Effort (DE) Bench press
    Bench Press(incline/decline/flat) 70% of your max for 5-6 sets of 6 reps
    Tricep work - as Day 2
    Cable pushdowns - 4 x 8-12
    Weighted Pull-ups - 4 x 8-10
    Alternating db Curl - 3 x 8-10

    I got this from another website that claims that Louie Simmons recommended this type of training in an interview he gave. Would this work good?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    I think that WS is a pretty good plan for general strength and size too (not just powerlifting). If you are a novice to intermediate, I think you could make decent gains in size just doing the basic template w. a few more reps and arm work.

    What are your current numbers like?

  4. #3
    Senior Member shootermcgavin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,240
    Powerlifting is a great way to build a solid base for bodybuilding, in my opinion. It worked very well for me after I had burned out my newbie gains and pissed away a couple years trying to cut at too light a weight (and corresponding had little strength gains over that period as a result).

  5. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I think that WS is a pretty good plan for general strength and size too (not just powerlifting). If you are a novice to intermediate, I think you could make decent gains in size just doing the basic template w. a few more reps and arm work.

    What are your current numbers like?
    I am currently doing the westside for skinny bastards routine, but wanted to add another lower body day. The reason I decided on the Westside for skinny bastards is because I did not want to do the dynamic days, which would be useless for someone that is not competing in powerlifting. What I am looking for is the size and power not just size.

  6. #5
    Senior Member shootermcgavin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by slydeflex
    The reason I decided on the Westside for skinny bastards is because I did not want to do the dynamic days, which would be useless for someone that is not competing in powerlifting. What I am looking for is the size and power not just size.

    What made you decide that dynamic effort days do not help power?

  7. #6
    Player Hater PowerManDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    7,850
    Just tailor the routine for a little more volume, higher reps, and specific work for all the bodyparts.

    The ME and DE definitions lose distinction in that context.

    If I were to give an example based on Louie's interview--

    Upper Day 1
    Flat Press - 4-5x6
    Pullup/Pulldown - 4-5x6
    Biceps - 2-3x10-12
    Triceps - 2-3x10-12

    Upper Day 2
    OH Press - 4-5x4
    Row - 4-5x4
    Biceps - 2-3x6-8
    Triceps - 2-3x6-8

    Lower Day 1
    Squat exercise - 3-5x6
    RDL - 3-5x6
    Leg Curl - 2-3x8-10
    Calf Raise - 3-5x8-10

    Lower Day 2
    Pull exercise - 3-5x4
    Leg Press - 3-5x4
    GHR - 2-3x5-10
    Seated Calves - 3-5x5-8

    Go Upper/Lower/off/Upper/Lower/Off/Off as the split.
    Last edited by PowerManDL; 07-10-2005 at 08:39 PM.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

    Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

    ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

    Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

    galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

    assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

  8. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Just tailor the routine for a little more volume, higher reps, and specific work for all the bodyparts.

    The ME and DE definitions lose distinction in that context.

    If I were to give an example based on Louie's interview--

    Upper Day 1
    Flat Press - 4-5x6
    Pullup/Pulldown - 4-5x6
    Biceps - 2-3x10-12
    Triceps - 2-3x10-12

    Upper Day 2
    OH Press - 4-5x4
    Row - 4-5x4
    Biceps - 2-3x6-8
    Triceps - 2-3x6-8

    Lower Day 1
    Squat exercise - 3-5x6
    RDL - 3-5x6
    Leg Curl - 2-3x8-10
    Calf Raise - 3-5x8-10

    Lower Day 2
    Pull exercise - 3-5x4
    Leg Press - 3-5x4
    GHR - 2-3x5-10
    Seated Calves - 3-5x5-8

    Go Upper/Lower/off/Upper/Lower/Off/Off as the split.
    Thank you very much that looks like a great routine

  9. #8
    Senior Member CiteCollegiale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    100
    On lower day 2 what do you mean by pull exercise any back exercise or do u mean deadlift. And what would be best substitute for GHR....SLDL?

  10. #9
    Senior Member bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    va
    Posts
    212
    CiteCollegiale
    I think he means like pull throughs, or strait leg deadlifts, speed deads.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

  11. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Just tailor the routine for a little more volume, higher reps, and specific work for all the bodyparts.

    The ME and DE definitions lose distinction in that context.

    If I were to give an example based on Louie's interview--

    Upper Day 1
    Flat Press - 4-5x6
    Pullup/Pulldown - 4-5x6
    Biceps - 2-3x10-12
    Triceps - 2-3x10-12

    Upper Day 2
    OH Press - 4-5x4
    Row - 4-5x4
    Biceps - 2-3x6-8
    Triceps - 2-3x6-8

    Lower Day 1
    Squat exercise - 3-5x6
    RDL - 3-5x6
    Leg Curl - 2-3x8-10
    Calf Raise - 3-5x8-10

    Lower Day 2
    Pull exercise - 3-5x4
    Leg Press - 3-5x4
    GHR - 2-3x5-10
    Seated Calves - 3-5x5-8

    Go Upper/Lower/off/Upper/Lower/Off/Off as the split.
    can I use floor presses for reps?

  12. #11
    Senior Member CiteCollegiale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    100
    Bump. Powerman get in here ^^

  13. #12
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by CiteCollegiale
    On lower day 2 what do you mean by pull exercise any back exercise or do u mean deadlift. And what would be best substitute for GHR....SLDL?
    Heaven forbid I speak for PowerManDL, but...

    Squat exercise (variations): squat, squats w. different stance, high bar squat, front squats, zercher squats, manta ray squat, cambered bar squat, good morning squats, overhead squats, bulgarian split squats, etc....

    Pull exercise (deadlift and variations): conventional deadlift, sumo deadlift, platform deadlift, Dimel deadlift, rack pulls, stiff legged deadlift, Romanian deadlift, deadlift w. bands, reverse band deadlift, deadlift w. chains, CV deadlift (deadlift off of a low pulley), good mornings, chain suspended good mornings, etc...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •