Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to eat out in a reasonably healthy manner?

Wannabebig Member

Possible to eat out in a reasonably healthy manner?

Well the subject pretty much says it. As far as "quick and easy" I know subway is pretty good. But beyond that - what about at normal restaurants? Is it even possible to eat in a healthy way when you eat out? Any suggestions on what to get?

Eating out is one of my major social activities - something I do with my buddies every weekend. And, unfortunately, most of my buddies are not into lifting / their bodies the way I am... Further I really hate cooking - I do it on occassion but I'm not the type of person who is going to "cook something and eat" then go out with friends.

So is this a lost cause? Is cutting oneself off from eating out (aside from cheat meals) really the only way to go about this?

Thanks!

i believe alot of restaurants have quite a few choices to choose from!

you can always order a steak with a side order of vegies for example!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

i usually very much prefer to cook my own food because that's how i know it's near 100% healthy, but i still eat out once in a while and this is what i do for the different cuisines:

western - take clear soups, look for the steak or roast chicken breast, switch fries to boiled potatoes, salad dressing on the side, stay away from dessert unless it's a cheat meal

asian - look for things in clear soup or boiled/broiled/steamed, ask for less/no oil (i'm not sure whether you can do that where you are.. maybe you try asking for no MSG as well?)

italian - stick with tomato bases

for italian food how much worse is alfrado sauce then tomato based sauce?
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

I wannabebig!
    I dunno if I was in the mood for alfredo sauce then tomato sauce would be worse and vice versa.

about an average of 160 cals. per half cup serving from Alfredo to reg. Tomato sauce with alfredo obviously the higher.

for Hutch, do you just want to know what it is you're eating, as in cals./fat/prot./carbs? if so, go to calorieking.com and they have that info for a lot of restaurants. If you are not concerned with all that then just be sensible when you go out. Order and 8oz. steak and eat 1/2 or 3/4 of it. Make sure it has no added butters to it(restaurants like to melt butter on top) Get some veggies and ask for no added butter or oils. Just think healthfully and don't be embarressed to ask for these things.

Im on PSMF...

I went in to subway today, NEEDING food pronto. I asked the girl if I could get a salad with two of the big pieces of chicken they use for the sandwiches cut up in it. She did it, and at no extra charge! I used half a pack of dressing (6g of carbs), and I was all set!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Grasshoppa
    Can you eat out and eat healthy? Sure. Can you eat out and always keep an accurate account of the calories and macros that go into your body? Maybe, maybe not.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    My girlfriend went on weight watchers once, and she said that one slice of pizza hut pizza was like, 30 points, and she only had 18 for a whole day to use, so I guess pizza hut is a no no.

The problem with eating out is that you dont know what goes into the food youre eating, how it's prepared or anything. The plate of food doesn't come with a label with all of its nutritional information written on it.

-Sc00t

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00t
    My girlfriend went on weight watchers once, and she said that one slice of pizza hut pizza was like, 30 points, and she only had 18 for a whole day to use, so I guess pizza hut is a no no.
    I think that's a bit excessive. A whole personal pan pizza is 17 points, I don't see a single slice being more than 7-12.
    Last edited by Nuts; 07-17-2005 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    Can you eat out and eat healthy? Sure. Can you eat out and always keep an accurate account of the calories and macros that go into your body? Maybe, maybe not.

:withstupi

That's pretty much what it comes down to.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

If you are bulking, I guess there is a little more wiggle room than if you are cutting.

As for going out, it all depends on where you and your friends are going. Obviously if you are hitting fast food joints, there are less choices then if you went to, say, the Outback.

A lot of restaurants these days--especially the big chain ones--have little icons on the menu which indicate the "healthier" meals. Look at those first.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sc00t
    All fine and good if your goals are the same as your girlfriend's--to fit into that size 6 by September.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuts
    I think that's a bit excessive. A whole personal pan pizza is 17 points, I don't see a single slice being more than 7-12.
    Actually one slice of pepperoni with hand tossed crust is 5 points. My mom has the books, she did that crap not long ago.

A slice of pepperoni pizza, no matter where you get it (frozen or restaurant), will almost always be in the 300cal, 17g fat range. The same holds true for most foods. Portions (with the exception of somewhere like Scholtzsky's deli) will generally be the same, and macros will too. The little diferences shouldn't wreck your diet when eating out is an occasional practice anyway.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-17-2005 at 11:43 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    Dunno maybe points in USA and points here are different? *shrug* maybe I just got it wrong, it was definatley over 10 points for a slice though, 100% sure on that.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the info all. I appreciate it. A few thoughts.

First, regarding the little "this is healthy icons." Personally I find them useless, because the items on the menu with that icon are almost always tiny portions, and if you check the calories, the entree is like 300 calories. I'm a big dude, when I go to dinner, I want more than 300 calories. I don't mean to be stereotypical but it seems that the majority of the "this is healthy icons" are geared towards women on diets like weight watchers - not guys heavily into weight lifting.

ReelBigFish - 1/2 to 3/4 of an 8oz steak? You are kidding right? Maybe I'm a lost cause, but I can polish off a 16oz steak with no trouble. If I eat ALL of an 8oz steak with some veggies, I'm likely to go home and eat a bowl of cereal because I'm still hungry.

Regarding pizza - an entire large THIN CRUST pepperoni pizza from Dominos is 1500 calories. A lot of calories, but considering you can eat 1000 on some greasy burger from a fast food joint its not as bad as one might think. Note going with hand tossed ups the calories considerably. I mention this for the benefit of those who love pizza as a cheat meal .

On the subject in general - I think you guys are right, the inability to know exactly how many calories I am eating is what gets to me. I can estimate stuff quite well now - but you always wonder what they "do" to stuff at restaurants, you know? haha. I suppose what I've been doing is right then... stick with beef/chicken. Lose the fries in favor of a salad. Sauces/dressings on the side. And so on. Then you at least know you are eating reasonably healthily, and you know you are getting plenty of protein. I guess not knowing the exact numbers is just something we bbing control freaks have to deal with haha . I guess its good that while i watch what I eat in general, I am not TOO scientific about it, or I'd go insane with these restaurants.

you can usually get away with a steak, plain baked potato, and steamed veggies at most restaurants without getting stares by your friends. Just make sure you get a lean cut, and dont go for the huge "dinner size" portions, alot of times they give you like a 12+oz steak. You dont need that much. The 5oz or 6-7oz portions are much cheaper and can help you from devouring too much.

hutch I totally agree with you man. I figured you were worried about keeping your cals. in check. I may weigh only 145 but i used to be 200 and I can throw down some food. I can easily eat a 12 oz steak and all the sides that come with it. I'm the same way too about wanting to know how many calories are in what ever it is I'm eating.

I have the same exact problem...

I know for a fact you can eat healthy at Chilis. I go there and get grilled chicken, corn, rice and veggie. It's called guiltless chicken platter I think. There is also a few other ones such as Salmon with rice/black beans. It's also not too expensive meal usually comes out to about 10.00 with tip, I mean I'm sure its not optimal but good if you just wanna go out for a change. It shows everything protein/fat/carb/calories. I think most of them are around 350-500 cal meals.
    Last edited by beachmuscles; 07-17-2005 at 07:24 PM.

T.G.I. Fridays even has a couple meals now that they give cal. and fat content for. Grilled Chicken and Grouper I belive. They both come with veggies and rice and the chicken has a side of grilled veggies. they are both 500 cals and 10g. of fat by the way.
    Last edited by ReelBigFish; 07-18-2005 at 12:04 AM.

I went to claim jumper last night. Had a bowl of steak chili and a salad with light vinegarette. That was more than healthy until I got the chocolate chip calzone for desert and packed that down.

I wonder how many cals something like that. I put it on fitday as three large chocholate chip cookies and icecream. 800-900 cals which is probably accurate. Even with that was at 3100 cals for the day, and did well over 90 minutes of cardio so I was probably still below maintance even eating out with desert.

one thing to remember is resturant portions are usually much bigger than you would make at home. I usually split it up and eat half later.

If your on the run, and you have an Arby's by you, their Market Fresh sandwhichs look pretty healthy, and Jack in the Box has some other healthy choices on their menu. You still shouldnt be frequenting fast food joints, but if you have to, try to find the healthiest thing on the menu.