The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee Wraps

Knee Wraps

Hey guys, looking for some insight from anyone who's used them before. I've never used them but i won a pair of inzer knee wraps at the meet i recently went to and i'd like to give them a shot.
    I've looked around the net but ive yet to find any real good demonstrations on how to properly wrap your knees so i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a personal explanation or personal preferences or even links to good sites on it. Thanks ahead of time people!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

first of all, you definitely need somebody to put them on for you. personally, it doesnt make a difference to me whether they start wrapping above or below the knee. you want to have the wrap go a couple of inches above and below the kneecap. and you shouldnt be able to see any skin!!!! the person who wraps your knees needs to wrap them TIGHT. it should be very very hard to get to parallel w/ the knee wraps on (that is if you are looking for maximum poundage out of them) thats really all i have.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I've seen Ronnie wrap himself... is that not right?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

You don't need someone to wrap them for you. It is a nice luxury but certainly not necessary.

The real point of knee wraps as a powerlifter is to increase your lift. So, the tighter the better to that end but there comes a point where you may find it excessively uncomfortable. I suggest you experiment yourself while in training and see what works best for you.
    Last edited by chris mason; 07-17-2005 at 06:07 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I've never seen a vid, just picked up from meets.
    I wrap2-3times below the knee, then wrap twice above the knee, then fill in the center nicely. I forget why but i always wrap towards my center. ie. if doing left leg i go clockwise, right leg counter clockwise.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I found them useful to help with a knee injury, but I only wrap them snug in training.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

"Kneed to Know" by Fred Hatfield: http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?act...le&articleID=5

Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    first of all, you definitely need somebody to put them on for you. personally, it doesnt make a difference to me whether they start wrapping above or below the knee. you want to have the wrap go a couple of inches above and below the kneecap. and you shouldnt be able to see any skin!!!! the person who wraps your knees needs to wrap them TIGHT. it should be very very hard to get to parallel w/ the knee wraps on (that is if you are looking for maximum poundage out of them) thats really all i have.
    I've seen plenty of PLers wrap their own knees.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    You don't need someone to wrap them for you. It is a nice luxury but certainly not necessary.

The real point of knee wraps as a powerlifter is to increase your lift. So, the tighter the better to that end but there comes a point where you may find it excessively uncomfortable. I suggest you experiment yourself while in training and see what works best for you.
    Chris :Thanks for the info man guess i'll just have to practice practice practice.

Sensei : Nice, thanks for the link man.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 07-17-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Gah, i dont know if im just a moron or what but i just cant this thing down. I start from below the knee and wrap it up exactly like it says too and i do it as tight as i can to the point of shooting pain like im pinching something and i just dont seem to have enough material to get it around as many times as the guy in the video does.

Phew... i finally got the spiral wrap down. Hurts like hell and by the time i finished my left knee i was getting light headed, think i just gotta keep at it.

Dont know man, but I never used them even when I squatted 450+... my football coached yelled at me because he thought that if I didnt wrap it put me at a risk of injury. I would consider using them if and when I get back up around 500lbs again.

I've had previous knee injuries so if i wanna start squatting the heavy weight again i wanna secure me knees.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Gah, i dont know if im just a moron or what but i just cant this thing down. I start from below the knee and wrap it up exactly like it says too and i do it as tight as i can to the point of shooting pain like im pinching something and i just dont seem to have enough material to get it around as many times as the guy in the video does.
    Im pretty sure some federations allow longer wraps.
    and after practise you can wraps thenm much tighter.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Under Construction
    Check out this video

http://www.joeskopec.com/wrap.html
    Just one guy's opinion.

mpi good link
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Thats the video i've been watching, i've seen it a million times now and im actually getting it. I can successfully wrap both knees in a pretty good time now. Thanks for the help everyone!

That is a good video. I just got some knee wraps, too, so that definitely helps.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I might get a pair of wrist wraps too because i think all this heavy bench weight is getting to my tiny little wrists.

I dont see how a set of wraps would help on anything other then pull lifts, how could you make use of them for doing push lifts. Or do you mean that youll use them on the pull lifts and that the heavy benching is getting to your wrists.

you can wrist wraps, they dont help with lift but they stabalize your wrists avoiding injury.

Kev, remember that dude with the one hand? Wonder how his wrists feel.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

wow i completely forgot about that... damn i feel like a pussy now...

I didn't see the vid, but you don't need someone to wrap for you. It can help a bit if you are inexperienced, but it ain't necessary.

Start below the knee and work up, but not too far above the knee. I believe when you wrap you go from the inside out as far as direction is concerned. Does this make a huge difference? I have no clue, but it's what I was told.

When you pull it around, you give it a very firm sharp yank, you will get them super tight, and have plenty of wrap to keep going. Make sure you give that yank eacy time you get the wrap around.

Most important thing about effective wrapping would be to keep your leg as straight as humanly possible while doing it. This is why some will get others to do it. So they can simply stand up and let someone wrap for them.

It should hurt like a mofo, and your legs should go pretty numb fast, which is why you can't just leave them on.

I think there are only 2 standard lengths of wraps, and the shorter one is IPF legal, and the other I guess is for other feds like APF. USAPL I believe adheres to IPF standards.

If you get wraps, you might want to get 2 pairs. One set you train with, and the other set just sits there until your meet, and then you have a fresh set of unused or rarely used wraps that haven't lost any elasticity.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    I dont see how a set of wraps would help on anything other then pull lifts, how could you make use of them for doing push lifts. Or do you mean that youll use them on the pull lifts and that the heavy benching is getting to your wrists.
    Actually the opposite is true.
    Wraps do NOT help with the pull lifts(ie.deads) but rather the push lifts like squat and bench(although it would be illegal)
    The wraps stoire energy when they are bent so in a squat for ex. as you decent you bend your knees and have to 'fight' against the wrap. As you start the accent they try to get back to there normal posistion so they help you with the lift.