Thread: Help please?

Wannabebig New Member

Help please?

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I've been lifting for over a year, I'm 6'2", weigh around 178 pounds, I've benched 185*8 squated squated 245*4 and deadlifted 315*4, all of these SUCK.

My Workout is like this:

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Wednesday: Legs

Friday: Deadlift/back/biceps

I do abs everytime I go also.

However, my progress has been absolutely crap for the past several months, my 185 rep out as only gone up 2 reps from around January, and I can only squat 225*6 now. Another problem I have with deadlift is that I can do more than 4 reps of 315, but the damn bar slips out of my hand, so my grip needs work.

Anyways, I'd just like to ask some of the older guys here that have been lifting longer how in the hell I could get my bench and squat up, deadlift I'm not too worried about because that's gone up consistently in the past few months. Last time I max benched I got up 225, but I'd like to get that up to 240 by September, get my Squat up to around 295, and Deadlift max maybe 360 or rep 315x6. Can I please have some help?

Im sure in the following days you will get lots of helpful in depth answers, but my quick one would simply be eat more!!!!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Wannabebig New Member
    I've been eating more, I want to get up to 190, but I don't want to get fat, I want it to be MUSCLE, and in order to do this I must be lifting right. But yes, you're right, I am pretty scrawny in terms of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBills
    My Workout is like this:

Monday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Wednesday: Legs

Friday: Deadlift/back/biceps

I do abs everytime I go also.

However, my progress has been absolutely crap for the past several months, my 185 rep out as only gone up 2 reps from around January, and I can only squat 225*6 now. Another problem I have with deadlift is that I can do more than 4 reps of 315, but the damn bar slips out of my hand, so my grip needs work.

Anyways, I'd just like to ask some of the older guys here that have been lifting longer how in the hell I could get my bench and squat up, deadlift I'm not too worried about because that's gone up consistently in the past few months. Last time I max benched I got up 225, but I'd like to get that up to 240 by September, get my Squat up to around 295, and Deadlift max maybe 360 or rep 315x6. Can I please have some help?
    Can you tell us more about what you do on those days? "Chest/shoulder/triceps" doesn't tell us much...

Just guessing, but I would say you probably need to do less higher rep sets... Am I right?

As far as your DL grip goes, I would say just use straps when you are doing higher reps. Also, make sure you are resetting after each rep (or do them off a low platform and bring the plates to a point level w. the platform but not bouncing off the ground) so you don't jar the bar out of your grip.

Wannabebig New Member
    Sensei, thanks for offering help.

My days are all messed up, I really need to start from scratch. Back day is the only day that I really do anything right now. The problem is the first two.

This is what I did this week on Day 1:
    Bench Press: 135*3 155*3 175*1 185*6 Which is down from my previous PR
    Power Clean: 135*4 155*2 165*2 175*1 (Max is 185)
    Shoulder Press: 50*10 55*6
    Dips: 1*16 1*12
    Incline Dumb Bell Press: 60*6 60*6
    Tricep Extensions: 50*16 60*12

Tomorrow all I know I'm going to do is squats, the rest is up in the air.
    Last edited by GoBills; 07-19-2005 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBills
    Sensei, thanks for offering help.

My days are all messed up, I really need to start from scratch. Back day is the only day that I really do anything right now. The problem is the first two.

This is what I did this week on Day 1:

Tomorrow all I know I'm going to do is squats, the rest is up in the air.
    Do you usually just wing it when you go into the gym? I don't know if the work-out you posted above was typical or not, but if it is, I was wrong about doing too many high reps. Do you max-out frequently? Do you cycle reps/weights?

Wannabebig New Member
    I used to max out frequently, but not very much anymore. I don't really cycle weights and reps, I usually lift as much as I can in a 6 rep set. As much as I'd like to get my bench up, I have squat problems too, can you tell me some good lifts to go along with the squat?

It'd be easier w. more info. What kind of workouts have you been doing (exercises, sets/reps/%s)? Where does your squat breakdown when you miss?

schmitty199
    did u just make up that work out yourself? most gyms have a computer done plan that u can get all they need are your maxes..................

you need to maybe do less sets but step it up in weight your PC max is 185 but you start doing 4 reps at 50 pounds less then that? does that even challenge you at all? on every set maybe the 1st couple you dont have to struggle at all with but every set should be challenging and you should have to push yurself. try 4*155 2*165 2*175
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys