Thread: How often should you increase weights

How often should you increase weights

Do you just do it when your ready(like if your using 25lbs for curls or something and you start by doing 2x8 then next week 2x10 and so on untill about 12) or do you force yourself to do it with higher weight but less reps(like lets says 30lbs 2x3-4?

you won't see progress in your curls every week but if you're new to lifting you should be able to add 5lbs on the big 3 every week

Yea. Usually when you first start out you progress faster. Also spread out your sessions so you get enough rest. Personally I go for a new max every time I'm back but I only workout in the gym 3-4 days a week.

Banned
    **** man curls are like the lift you see the least weight improvement on

you can buy those magnetic 2.5lbs so that you can attach to the weight when you need those 2.5 increment.

It depends on how I feel the day of the workout, I can usually determine this after a few warmups. If I'm feeling like an animal, I'll throw some more weight and just go nuts, if I'm feeling lazy and tired and not really into it, I try to at least maintain. Some workouts are better than others. Always try to progress though. I try for at least 8 reps, sometimes I do less, 6-7.

WBB Member
    I workout using the max-ot guidelines, which is 4-6 reps done to failure for 2-3 sets per lift. What I do is pick a weight I can get for 6 reps for the first set. Then I will add 5 lbs for the second set. If it is my first time doing this weight, I will usually only be able to get 4 reps at this weight. I will then keep doing this sequence of 6 reps at X lbs, 4 reps at X+5 lbs until I am able to get 5 reps on the second set. I will then use the weight I got for 5 reps as the weight for my first set (of 6 reps hopefully) the next workout, add 5 lbs to the second set (which I will usually only be able to get for 4 reps), and the cycle starts over again.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    You should always shoot for some form of progress every session.
    Whether it be 1 lb or 1 rep. Hell I need to get some of those 1lb sticky weights.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

What are these 2.5lb magnetic weights you guys are talking about?

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joshua
    What are these 2.5lb magnetic weights you guys are talking about?
    Weights that basically "clip on" to each end of a dumbell that weigh 2.5lbs.

Lets say you're curling 30lbs and want to move up in weight. Moving up 5lbs would be a 20% increase on your curl, thats a huge increase and a huge jump percentage wise in poundage. So you clip 2.5lbs to the 30lb dumbell and now you can lift a dumbell that weighs 32.5lbs instead of having to jump up a full 5lbs.

Its one thing to increase a 300lb squat by 10lbs because thats such a small percentage of your max, its another thing to increase your 30lb curl to 35lbs.

To answer the original question - You should be increasing as often as you can. Ideally every exercise, but thats unrealistic for pretty much everyone except for beginners. I would aim to increase every session on as many exercises as you can.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

Yeah today I increased a little in everything and added 1-3 more reps god could I feel the burn lol.

Do you know if Sports Authority sells these magnetic weights of which you speak?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Some places sell 1.5 lbs plates, I have 4 of them myself.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

I've never seen these magnetic ones for dumbbells but the 2.5 lb for barbell work magic.

riprogrammazione
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    You should always shoot for some form of progress every session.
    Whether it be 1 lb or 1 rep. Hell I need to get some of those 1lb sticky weights.
    Progressive overload. Always stive for more. I think I'm repeating myself this morning.

Wannabebig Member
    if i have used a certain weight for a cetrain lift for a decent amount of time and feel it is time to move up i will go up in weight and do as many reps/sets as i can with the heavier weight. i might be able to only do one set of three with the heavier weight but then the next week when i can do two sets with the higher weight and the finish off the last with the lower weight i know i am gaining

Our gym has them, their called 1.25lb plate mates. Increase when your ready, youll know when things start getting easier that its time to move on.