Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Question about speed sets.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,299

    Question about speed sets.

    Hey guys I have a question. The way I'm doing my working sets now is:

    Set #1: A lighter weight that I can do about 8 reps with.
    Set #2: Up the weight a bit so I can do maybe about 6 reps.
    Set #3: Up the weight even more so I can do about 4 reps.
    Set #4: Same as first set.

    But I was thinking about maybe switching my first and last sets (the lighter sets) to even lighter sets and do speed sets. What do you guys think...speed and heavy in same session?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  2. #2
    Grammar Nazi BG5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,977
    never mind...believe it or not, I posted that on the wrong board!!! I have several tabs open in my browser and I chose the wrong one. My Bad! (i deleted my original post)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

    Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

  3. #3
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,299
    Haha okay.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    There's probably nothing wrong with that, but why are you thinking you need them?

  5. #5
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,816
    instead of worrying about every little detail worry about the basics and use them

  6. #6
    Senior Member DNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,808
    what are you trying to achieve by doing speed sets?

  7. #7
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,299
    I guess I'm trying to develop speed (in relation to MA) and power.

    But I had a talk with Crip earlier today and he told me to just keep my current routine and not worry about this stuff like you guys seem to also be suggesting. Thanks.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  8. #8
    riprogrammazione
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    464
    Like ryu said. Keep it simple, and always strive for more. Don't get drunk with the minutae.

  9. #9
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    0
    for the sake of people in the future....
    What is the proper process to follow for speedsets?
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    Fix: you don't need speed sets at this point. Keep it simple!!

    Hatred: this is just general, but bench tends to be 8 sets of 3 reps and squats are 8 sets of 2 reps. Deads are usually resets. Short rest between sets. Weight varies from 50-75% of 1RM. Some keep the weight consistent throughout the training cycle, others wave it.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  11. #11
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Fix: you don't need speed sets at this point. Keep it simple!!

    Hatred: this is just general, but bench tends to be 8 sets of 3 reps and squats are 8 sets of 2 reps. Deads are usually resets. Short rest between sets. Weight varies from 50-75% of 1RM. Some keep the weight consistent throughout the training cycle, others wave it.
    Is there any point to training speed deads versus olympic lift variations? Isn't a speed dead already an olympic lift variation?

    I think people use too similar loading factors between dyanmic bench and squats, given the relatively low bar weights, without taking into consideration that they're also moving bodyweight in squats only.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I think people use too similar loading factors between dyanmic bench and squats, given the relatively low bar weights, without taking into consideration that they're also moving bodyweight in squats only.
    A lot of people would agree w. you on this. I don't think that Dietrich Buchenholz is the guru that many do, but he does talk about this at length in his writings and his book. I don't know if you've read this, but take a look (the "Power Percentages" section in particular) and tell me what you think: http://inno-sport.net/The%20Buchenho...Volume%201.htm

  13. #13
    Moderator Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,720
    :withstupi

    For speed sets I even go as low as ~40% for bench and dead, 50%for squat.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

    "A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

    "However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

    Powerlifting Westside Style

  14. #14
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Interesting. Will have to read more, but it just makes a lot of sense to me.

    "Appropriated Weight" seems to be the particular term I was looking for; in squats, this is to say that you should include about 85% of BW in the load.

    Allow me to do math out loud:
    So for me, I should include (170 *.85) = 145lbs with my squat 1RM of 300, for an AW max of 450-ish. So, a 50% load is actually 225, and subtracting 145, I get 80lbs. In the standard calculation, I would instead use 50% of 300, 150lb and so the indicated loading parameters are radically different!

    A more interesting case is a body movement exercise with a lower added weight component, such as pullups. My 1RM is +115 or so. I figure the BW factor is about .90 or maybe slightly higher. So... 115 + (.90 * 170) = 268 AW 1RM. So, a 50% load is 134, and subtracting the BW component we get -19!

    Whee! Time to break out the jump stretch bands for 50% dynamic work in pullups.

    This is obviously experientially true, as there is no way that (+115 * .5) = +57.5 pullup will be very dynamic at all. But I like the proper mathematical underpinnings.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  15. #15
    Fury Divine RickTheDestroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Interesting. Will have to read more, but it just makes a lot of sense to me.

    "Appropriated Weight" seems to be the particular term I was looking for; in squats, this is to say that you should include about 85% of BW in the load.

    Allow me to do math out loud:
    So for me, I should include (170 *.85) = 145lbs with my squat 1RM of 300, for an AW max of 450-ish. So, a 50% load is actually 225, and subtracting 145, I get 80lbs. In the standard calculation, I would instead use 50% of 300, 150lb and so the indicated loading parameters are radically different!

    A more interesting case is a body movement exercise with a lower added weight component, such as pullups. My 1RM is +115 or so. I figure the BW factor is about .90 or maybe slightly higher. So... 115 + (.90 * 170) = 268 AW 1RM. So, a 50% load is 134, and subtracting the BW component we get -19!

    Whee! Time to break out the jump stretch bands for 50% dynamic work in pullups.

    This is obviously experientially true, as there is no way that (+115 * .5) = +57.5 pullup will be very dynamic at all. But I like the proper mathematical underpinnings.
    On the moon, nerds have their pants pulled down and they are spanked with moon rocks.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

  16. #16
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    On the moon, nerds have their pants pulled down and they are spanked with moon rocks.
    I hung out with a gaggle of 18 year old incoming freshman babes today, so there. Ha. CTOPS rules.

    By which I mean I watched like a lecherous old man as they walked by.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  17. #17
    Fury Divine RickTheDestroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I hung out with a gaggle of 18 year old incoming freshman babes today, so there. Ha. CTOPS rules.

    By which I mean I watched like a lecherous old man as they walked by.
    **** man, I've been doing that SINCE CTOPS. **** I miss college.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

  18. #18
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    mix,

    I think you're a little off on your calcs - i cant type easily (baby in arm), but i'll reply later...

    edit: thats the basic idea though

    edit 2: nevermind - you're dead on!
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-18-2005 at 03:42 PM.

  19. #19
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,299
    I'm confused, what does this have to do with speed sets?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •