Thread: Include the weight of the bar?

Include the weight of the bar?

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if the common thing to do when recording your lifts is to include, or exclude the weight of the bad. Personally, I have always excluded the weight of the bar since it remains constant.

So in your signatures, do you include the bar or not?

the bar is weight! include it
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Hell man, I even include the clips if I remember to (at 1lb apiece).
    As the owner of my old gym used to put it: "Hell, you're lifting it, ain'tcha?"
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

yeah enclude it all. my high school weights teacher told us to count the clips as 2.5lbs to round the "bar" weight to 50lbs. LOL

I ignore the clips but count the bar.

Yeah I never count the clips but the bar is 45lbs, which for somepeople is a big chunk of the lift.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

thanks for asking sweetie... :P:P *adjusts signature*
    Height: 5'3"
    Weight: ~120 lbs

My Fitday
    My Journal

Well it looks like there is an agreement, include the bar. Thanks for the replies, happy lifting!

3:16
    inclduing everything as if you go to a new gym with a different weight bar, your have to know what you lift.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Sometimes, though, I use machines, and I'm not sure how much a "zero weight" lift would be. For example, the seated calf-raise: the apparatus has to weigh something. But all I record in my journal is how much weight I put on. Ditto for the leg sled. But for curls, I know the bars weigh 45 and 25 pounds, so I add that amount to my journal. Ditto for bench (though lately I've been doing db presses for a while).

(And just to be faceitous, shouldn't we include gloves or straps if we use them? We're lifting that, too. )
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    theres a balance, however to weighted machines

but in all honesty, lbs mean nothing on those machines...they're all completely different

if i do cable crossovers...i write it down as 10 reps at 6...not 60. That 6 is most likely not the same 6 on another machine.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Sometimes, though, I use machines, and I'm not sure how much a "zero weight" lift would be. For example, the seated calf-raise: the apparatus has to weigh something. But all I record in my journal is how much weight I put on. Ditto for the leg sled. But for curls, I know the bars weigh 45 and 25 pounds, so I add that amount to my journal. Ditto for bench (though lately I've been doing db presses for a while).

(And just to be faceitous, shouldn't we include gloves or straps if we use them? We're lifting that, too. )

Leg sled is typically 75lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    Hell man, I even include the clips if I remember to (at 1lb apiece).
    As the owner of my old gym used to put it: "Hell, you're lifting it, ain'tcha?"
    I always wondered how much those clips weight, thats why I use the smaller spring loaded ones, because they are so light they barely count.

*Cough* maybe we should include the amount of weight in our arms for arm exercises too huh? Good luck weighing that one though lol.

BTW I'm just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Node
    I always wondered how much those clips weight, thats why I use the smaller spring loaded ones, because they are so light they barely count.
    The light spring ones are supposed to weigh 1lb each. The larger circular ones that you clamp on weigh about a kg each I think- I just round them to 2.5lb, because who the hell uses kilograms anyway? (get it? )
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Human
    Ye just to add a standard olympic size bar is 45 lbs. Its also the most common. I have a 25 lb one though in my basement cause they are much cheaper, but the grip is much smaller.