Thread: No Reverse Hyper machine?

Banned

No Reverse Hyper machine?

Hello,

I registered finally because I would like your knowledgeable suggestions about what I can do about my gym's situation, in that there's no Reverse Hyper machines.

I finally renewed my fire for working out consistently several months ago, and for the first time "tried" to do Reverse Hypers, but by fashioning my own rope strap that I put some plates on, hook on my ankles, and use the regular Back Hyper bench, to do Reverse Hypers.

But the Back Hyper bench is just too low, so I can't lower my feet all the way, so my legs never get perpendicular to my torso; effectively, I'm only doing maybe the upper two-thirds of a full Reverse Hyper.

Is there any special device on the market (short of $800 Rev. Hyper bench that I'd need also to pay lots & lots of shipping cost to mail to Alaska) or some technique I can get or use so that I can do a full Reverse Hyper?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Miguel Zambia; 07-21-2005 at 11:57 AM.

You don't need to do reverse hypers. regular hypers, pull thrus, ghr, will all do you fine.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

hey man a reverse hyper is very easy to build. if you have a power rack, set your pins high enough... slap a couple of 2x4s and some plywood on top of the pins. then get some some pipe and a t joint... slip that into the safety pin and youll have a reverse hyper. if no power rack... you can easily build one out of wood.

You really don't need one, but I have done this and it works all right:

1)place a decent sized stability ball on a higher bench
    2)position yourself over the ball (arms reaching down to hold onto the bench)
    3)use dipping belt or bands for added resistance

It's less stable than a proper reverse hyper bench, but it works well and is a pretty comfortable movement.

What's a reverse hyper or normal hyper?

Banned
    Thanks for your responses.

I really like doing Reverse Hypers; I've been doing 2 sets right after 2 higher-rep sets of regular Back Hypers. Up until a couple weeks ago, the blood engorged pump in my low back has been intense -- almost feels as uncomfortable as a near slipped disk, but not quite...But I think my body's getting used to it, so the pump isn't as intense now.

A Back Hyper is where your feet are held steady, and you bend over the end of a bench, towards the floor, (with a weight in your hands), and pull your torso back up -- sort of a backwards sit-up.

A Reverse Hyper is where you have your feet & legs off the end of the bench, lower them to the floor (with a weight strapped to your ankles), and pull your legs back up -- sort of a backwards leg lift.

Louie Simmons of Westside invented the Reverse Hyper back in the '70s after he had serious career-ending lowback injuries. It worked. He has far exceeded his previous lifetime P.R.'s in deadlift, squat, etc. -- all at an age most guys retire from lifting anything heavier than a remote or a beer can.

Anyway, thanks for the tip about the medicine ball. That might just work.

As for the boards across the power rack -- I'll look into that, too.
    Last edited by Miguel Zambia; 07-21-2005 at 11:57 AM.

Banned
    I figured out a way to use the gym's Back Hyper bench & a pulley weight stack to perform full-range Reverse Hypers.

But now my problem is, the max weight on this machine is just 120 pounds (which is okay for me now, but I believe I'll outgrow this soon).

So can anyone tell me any neat, easy tricks for adding weight to machine stacks?

Thank you.