Thread: Ab Workouts

Ab Workouts

I checked out the articles on WBB and searched this forum, but so far I havn't found enough answers.

I started a new routine last week. I did a lot of studying up on the type/frequency/etc of workouts I should do for each muscle group. I don't think my ab workouts are very good though.

I'm leaning more towards the appearance of my abs. I just want them to look good, not necessarily have olympic strength. There's an article on WBB that talks about having strong abs.

Can you share your ab routines? I'm looking to do about 4 good exercises every workout day (3 days a week). Right now I'm doing hanging side crunches, leg lifts, the ab machine, and 8-min abs at home. Thanks.

You would not ask us about doing ab's 3 times a week If you did in fact do a search
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

what's wrong with doing abs 3 times a week

soccer how's your diet like?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

150+ g Protein, about 1800-2400 calories, plenty of water. I don't do the bulk/cut thing (well not yet anyways). Weekends are bad though, I'm trying to fix that.
    Last edited by soccer022483; 07-19-2005 at 11:19 AM.

how are your meals like?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

If u just want toned abs and not big bulky strong ones just do sit up and what not without weight. Do that with a solid diet that gets the body fat down low and thats a simple recipe for a nice cut set of abs.

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    how are your meals like?
    Mornings: Protein shake (45-50g), bagel or toast

Pre-lunch: some nuts and/or some cheese, water

Lunch: chicken breasts or chicken sandwiches mostly, water

Pre-dinner: milk, this varies a lot

Dinner: varies a lot too. Usually includes a lot of protein and carbs, my mom likes to make pasta a lot

Wrong, if you want abs you excersize abs like any other body part 1-2 times a week. Will pushups give you a nice chest? no. Diet is key here. If your weekends are horrible than thats your problem. As to workouts for abs. Do weighted ab excersize 1-2 times per a week.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

getfit, if that's you in the pic, you have nice abs. I would like to look similar to that. More like a boy though of course, lol

Abs are mainly 80% diet and 20% exercise. (Somewhere around that range.)

I do weighted decline crunches and leg lifts, once a week. You use abs in quite a few movements (e.g., squats and deadlifts). Working abs three times a week is unnecessary, hence why many people on this board advocate doing them once a week or less.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

k first you can check out our sticky diet/nutrition forum on "what a bodybuilder eats"

as abs this is what i do

weighted decline crunches
    crunches on the ball
    reverse crunches
    kick ups
    cable crunches
    i stick to 3 sets 15 reps! twice a week!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

"abs can be worked every day"
    "abs need a day of rest just like other muscle groups"

You hear those 2 a lot. But I think I figured out that abs need rest when you've worked them with weight and low reps. But can do them every day if doing something like 200 crunches at night, etc. agree?
    Last edited by soccer022483; 07-19-2005 at 11:30 AM.

you don't need to work them everyday i would say twice a week is fine or even once a week diet is your key!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

getfit, that sounds like a nice routine, thanks a lot
    Last edited by soccer022483; 07-19-2005 at 11:31 AM.

yeah weekends are killer. That's when my girlfriend wants to eat out a lot.

a cheat day is not bad! try to up your cals,fats,protein a bit and should be fine

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by soccer022483
    "abs can be worked every day"
    "abs need a day of rest just like other muscle groups"

You hear those 2 a lot. But I think I figured out that abs need rest when you've worked them with weight and low reps. But can do them every day if doing something like 200 crunches at night, etc. agree?
    Do you think you'd get nice arms by doing 100 db curls w/ 5# each and every day? Then why do people think they will get nice abs if they do 200 crunches a day?

Sure, abs bounce back very quickly, but it doesn't mean they grow any quicker. They are a muscle plain and simple. Train them as such.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    :withstupi Haha, I actually do see some people doing hundreds of curls with a 5-lb. dumbbell thinking it will do them good. So, yes, there are many ignorant people out there today.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

we all have to learn from somewhere!

gain 50lbs-Anthony