Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girl workout

Wannabebig Member

Girl workout

A friend of mine who is a girl (not my girlfriend) is going to work out with me.

Would doing the WBB1 routine be okay for her? She wants to get toned. Shes already pretty toned.

What kind of reps should she be doing? Probably really high, like 12 and up right?

She says she will kill me if she gets buff, like a dude, but I assure her that won't happen.
    Things that i hate: AOL, Mcdonalds

I don't know of any routines or workouts that get you toned. High reps for definition is a myth. I think I am now less intelligent after reading that last sentance of your's.
    It's not easy. It's not supposed to be.-Mr Joshua

There's no such thing as toning.

WBB would be fine.

High reps do NOTHING. She should stick to the 8-12 rep range for most of her work, just like anybody else.

Unless she eats over maintenance, she can't get "bulky". Trust me, I'm TRYING to put on mass. You can click the link in my sig to see how "successful" I've been.

Quote Originally Posted by zachtheterrible
    She says she will kill me if she gets buff, like a dude, but I assure her that won't happen.
    Tell her squatting 300 lbs for reps will make her small like Calista Flockhart.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

WBB Member
    I love how people who don't want to get big are afraid it will happen "by accident" if they start lifting weights. If that were the case, I suspect I and many other members on this board would be hulking monsters by now.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 07-19-2005 at 07:23 PM.

<... wakes up, looks in mirror, shrieks...>

Oh my GOD! How did this HAPPEN to me? These MUSCLES!

I had NO IDEA this was going to happen to me - all I did was train like a sonofabitch for four years, micromanage my diet, and take over the counter supplements and butt-loads of extra protein while lifting freakishly and ever-increasingly heavy weights.

How was I supposed to know this was going to turn me from 170 lbs of size-14 Jell-O to ... well, THIS.

OMG!

I'm wearing a size FOUR! How the hell do I make this go away???

Oh, I know!

Stop lifting, and go back to my all cardio, low-protein regime. That'll get rid of all this pesky muscle. No longer will I have to hide my massive, 12.5" biceps...

Yeah, I hope I don't accidentally get big. I'm going back to curse my skinny limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    <... wakes up, looks in mirror, shrieks...>

Oh my GOD! How did this HAPPEN to me? These MUSCLES!

Pffft. We all know you merely stepped foot inside of a gym, ONCE, stared at a squat rack out of the corner of your eye, and exploded with muscles.

Muscles A Splode. <- a climbing route name in my gym.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Honestly, as a trainer pretty much every girl that I train wants to get "toned". Most of the time they don't even know what it means because they just heard someone else use the term. Just find ways to get her to burn her fat off and she should be fine. How many reps you make her do is up to you so remember that higher weight and higher reps will burn more calories (although higher weight obviously doesn't mean higher reps) so find a good range. If you think she needs to burn calories try making her to some complex lifts or any lift where she has to move the weight a decently big distance.

There's one girl trainer in the gym who is a bodybuilder and EVERY lady client I get says "I don't want to look like that" which to me is sort of a joke. Obviously they don't understand how much effort and work goes into becoming a bodybuilder like the lady trainer is. Anyway it's not like you just look like that overnight, if they were starting to get too buff or something they could just stop working out or change their workouts.

But yeah, it's a cliche to hear "I want to just get toned" from women. Hardly ever do I hear guys say it.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Your friend won't get "buff like a dude" from just lifting weights. She'd have to eat a lot, use gear, and at the same time have great genetics.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-19-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    "She says she will kill me if she gets buff, like a dude, but I assure her that won't happen."

First, I'd just like to clear my name and point out that I was only kidding about that. I was actually making fun of the fact that she believes that she will suddenly explode by picking up a dumbell . I did clear up that myth for her btw.

So, 8-12 range eh? Seeing as I don't know much about complex lifting and different rep ranges, I'll just tell her to try and keep it at that, and change it if she feels like she should.

riprogrammazione
    Getting toned can probably be translated into losing fat. Anyone can "get toned" without ever stepping one foot into the gym.
    If she's already in decent shape, then wbb1 would be fine. Just stick to the basics, and make sure she eats right. If she's in good shape already, as you've stated, then she already knows how to eat or has good genetics.

Wannabebig Member
    her eat right, HAA! she eats out non-stop. shes the kind of girl that all the other girls hate cuz she doesn't have to try to be skinny

alright, thanks for all the help

If you want to get toned, do plyometrics.

Once I tripped over a 45 plate in the gym and I gained 3 lbs of muscle.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Stop lifting, and go back to my all cardio, low-protein regime. That'll get rid of all this pesky muscle. No longer will I have to hide my massive, 12.5" biceps...
    Haha, my girlfriend says she wants to get toned and not get big. I showed her pictures of you Built, and was like she didnt do that running an hour a day and eating only to meals a day. Thanks Built she is finally listening to what i have to say.

There's no such thing as toning.

WBB would be fine.

High reps do NOTHING. She should stick to the 8-12 rep range for most of her work, just like anybody else.

Unless she eats over maintenance, she can't get "bulky". Trust me, I'm TRYING to put on mass. You can click the link in my sig to see how "successful" I've been.

Your displine to keep up your diet is impressive.

Alright, so non of the players on the board knows anything 'bout gesting H-U-G-E! Yo gonna want 'em 2lb dumbbells (DBs as well call 'em on the street), and pump out--say 200 reps? And make sure it only your weak hand, magic will keep your other han' strong. No sweat, no sweat...don't sweat, it pours out all the muscle juice.

^ Make sure to stand in the squat rack.

Why are many girls obssessed with being "skinny?" There's this girl that sat in front of me in my Health class and she was already pretty skinny to start with. So, she was talking to her friends and she said "Wow I gained 2 lbs!" and she was all upset and stuff. And I was thinking in my head the whole time "Wow, you need to gain 20 lbs." And not to mention it was probably just water weight she gained.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Open a fashion magazine sometime. Skinny little legs, skinny little twig arms. Bleah.

I won't even have one in my house. No point contaminating my own home.

Haha yeah. I don't understand the world.
    Lifting Journal

One of my friends was going on about how she wanted to lose some fat and that her butt was big and muscular and that was better than fat. I told her that I love her ass and I wish more girls looked like her from behind. Surprisingly, she very much appreciated my comment.

Sometimes I feel like girls are just fishing for compliments by saying that they're fat. Needless to say I stopped giving out compliments to girls who are already in the shape they want to be, it's the fat ones that need the compliments.

It is kinda weird how warped the minds of people have become about girls being skinny. That's what TV and magazines will do to society.

I hate really skinny girls... they usually don't have any booooooooooooooobs.