The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Squat vs. Leg Press

I'm sure you can tell by the title what I'm asking. I don't really enjoy doing squats. To me, Leg Press seems to be the same exercise except maybe it doesn't work all the stabilizer muscles. Is this correct?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ante Up
    I found a poem jus for u.........

The Squat
    Down the road, in a gym far away a young man was heard to say No matter what I do my legs won't grow He tried leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses too Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do From the corner of the gym
    where the big men train
    Through a cloud of chalk
    and in the midst of pain
    Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives
    Where the noise is made
    with big forty fives A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees A very big man with legs like trees Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "BOY STOP LYING AND DON'T SAY YOU'VE FORGOTTEN.
    TROUBLE WITH YOU IS YOU AIN'T BEEN SQUATTIN'
    What doesnt kill will only make you stronger

Height 6'
    Weight 225lbs
    Bench 280
    Squat 475
    Deadlift 490

Thanks Ante Up, I just busted a nut. That poem is awesome.

Leg Press is for girls. If you're a girl, do leg press. Otherwise, squat.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

LOL

Awesome.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I found a poem jus for u.........
    I have a response for you...

I didn't say I was a wuss and wouldn't do squats. I posted this to LEARN. If i got a good educated response from someone telling me that squats were very important and shouldn't be replaced my leg press then I, of course, would do squats.

Thanks for giving an example of a completely bad response to a post.

i do leg press c'mon guys it's not only for girls!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Getfit does leg press, us guys squat
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

yeah but i also squat!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Thanks Ante Up, I just busted a nut. That poem is awesome.

Leg Press is for girls. If you're a girl, do leg press. Otherwise, squat.
    That's not what I asked. And if you think Leg Press is for girls then you must workout due to a lack of self esteem. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would agree that Leg Press is a good exercise, just not as good as squats.

Soccer, if I were to give you a laymen's perspective, a squat works many muscles because the form that is required to do such an exercise. A leg press isolates only a few muscles while the rest of your body takes a break.

From a net gain perspective, squats are better.

No worries, I was asking the same question only a week ago.

Here's a better esponse for you. If you want to replace squats (with machines), you would need to do:
    Leg Press, Leg Extention, Hammy Curl, Hip abduction and adduction, calve raise...

and you still will not have matched the overall greatness that the squat provides. It's like those stupid Total cereal commercials. You'd have to eat 600 bowls of garbage cereal to equal the pure growth and power potential that comes with one healthy dose of squats.

Thanks guys, much appreciated
    Last edited by soccer022483; 07-19-2005 at 09:49 AM.

Oh and BTW Ante, I don't want legs like trees. I play soccer

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Deep squatting builds you a nice arse!
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Getfit, I meant sissy girls. No offense intended

soccer, I lift to get stronger. If you want to get stronger, squat. I apologize for calling you a girl. I'm still steamed about my new "gym".

Quote Originally Posted by soccer022483
    Yeah, it would suck to be faster, have improved recovery abilities, and be able to out muscle guys on the field.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

You try hack squats? They aren't as good as the real things but better than presses.

Mix, I think it was you who mentoined that heavy squats can actually be dangerous due to the fixed plain of motion?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I like the leg sled, 'cause I can pile on the weight. It makes me feel tough lugging around all those 45's ( a workout in itself! ).

But I squat, because I know that's what I have to do to get bigger and stronger; not just the legs but all over. I feel I get a much better workout. I never threw up after doing heavy presses, but squats, hell yeah.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Yeah, it would suck to be faster, have improved recovery abilities, and be able to out muscle guys on the field.
    From what I understand, some exercises can make you look bigger. And being that big might not necessarily correspond to how strong you are. Soccer players don't want body builder legs. I want to strengthen my legs if I'm making any sense. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure swole up legs are pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by b_sinning
    You try hack squats? They aren't as good as the real things but better than presses.
    No but I think next time in the gym I'm going to test those out.

So let me see if I get this, you dont want a much better short distance speed... you dont want better endurance in your legs or to build a better base for balance and overall power????

Having big legs is everything but a negative (except when they get in the 30+" range they start rubbing together and you chafe really really bad and it hurts like a mother Fu#ker)... more power in your legs is a big bonus in just about every sport imagineable.

Leg press is a completely different animal compared to the squat... squatting takes and builds much more overall strength. If your looking to get strong, squat. And as far as some lifts that make you "look" bigger, just do high weight low reps and you should put on THAT much size.
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 07-19-2005 at 10:16 AM.

I have a response for you...

I didn't say I was a wuss and wouldn't do squats. I posted this to LEARN. If i got a good educated response from someone telling me that squats were very important and shouldn't be replaced my leg press then I, of course, would do squats.

Thanks for giving an example of a completely bad response to a post.
    Squats do more than just work your legs. They stimulate testosterone production and overall growth throughout your body since you use practically most muscle groups as you perform the exercise. Leg presses pale in comparison.

Do them. Your muscles will thank you by growing.
    Last edited by Focused70; 07-19-2005 at 10:32 AM.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

If you don't want bigger legs, don't eat as much. Size has more to do with food than it does with how you work your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    So let me see if I get this, you dont want a much better short distance speed... you dont want better endurance in your legs or to build a better base for balance and overall power????

Having big legs is everything but a negative (except when they get in the 30+" range they start rubbing together and you chafe really really bad and it hurts like a mother Fu#ker)... more power in your legs is a big bonus in just about every sport imagineable.

Leg press is a completely different animal compared to the squat... squatting takes and builds much more overall strength. If your looking to get strong, squat. And as far as some lifts that make you "look" bigger, just do high weight low reps and you should put on THAT much size.
    I want to make my legs as strong as possible, just not to the point where, like you said, they're so big that they rub together.

I searched, but I can't remember saying that???