Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd Problem-Grade Changing

hmm, I like to be big!!!

Odd Problem-Grade Changing

Hey guys I used to have a 4.0 in my GPA at a difficult engineering school. I have gotten to my senior year but then I got a D in one of my classes. I never got anything less than an A in college but this grade really kicked my GPA in nuts. It dropped to a 3.88. Does anyone have experience in this matter? I'm just wonderring because at my school you can't retake classes in order to change your grade in that class but I'd really like to change this so i can graduate with a 4.0. I know it sounds anal but I think its kinda unfair one class can drop my GPA .12 points. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with a matter like this?
    Last edited by nejar462; 07-20-2005 at 12:47 PM.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Man, that sucks. I got an F in one of my engineering classes, but was allowed to re-take it and I replaced that with an A. I don't know if there's anything you can do. Are the grades already official? If not, maybe you can convince the professor to let you withdraw and re-take the class.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462
    Hey guys I used to have a 4.0 in my GPA at a difficult engineering school. I have gotten to my senior year but then I got a D in one of my classes. I never got anything less than an A in college but this grade really kicked my GPA in nuts. It dropped to a 3.88. Does anyone have experience in this matter? I'm just wonderring because at my school you can't retake classes in order to change your grade in that class but I'd really like to change this so i can graduate with a 4.0. I know it sounds anal but I think its kinda unfair one class can drop my GPA .12 points. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with a matter like this?
    See if your school has any extra credit activities that will add to your GPA instead of averaging into the total. Speak to the dean or student advisor, they should have something, even if they have to get creative. You have ambitious goals, that's something to be proud of.

If you got a D you don't deserve a 4.0, do you?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Unless your uni has a policy of retaking classes with withdrawl hours or something similar, you are SOL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    If you got a D you don't deserve a 4.0, do you?
    :withstupi

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

What school? Was the class in your major? In the real world the difference between a 3.9 and 4.0 is meaningless. If you're planning on going to go on for an MS or PhD, no one will care about your 1 class as an undergrad.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I got a D in my math minor. I foolishy tried to challenge myself by taking a difficult course (Partial Differential Equations) instead of just taking a basic accounting class. In the end I learned nothing useful from it.

The professor was also a big dick but whatever I say I will come off as whining so I'll just give facts.

1) We didn't have any examination grades returned to us before the drop date. So I had no idea how well I was doing.

2) He didn't return our homeworks to us until the end of the class, which ended up being 50% of my grade. Yes I got a 49% on it, much lower than my friend who I did all the homework with who of course scored a 75%. Small mistakes such as forgetting constants on my math tests resulted in D grades.

3) I did try to complain but the professor just said he'd look at both the HW's but my grade is the same. I would have gone to the department head but she was out of town for a long time.

If you want to ride me for wanting to get my grade changed or because I want a 4.0 I can understand it. But I worked really hard in school taking challenging courses and often doing more than what was needed to get an A in the end to ensure that I got it. I think its pretty stupid for me to get screwed over on something like this. When I'd be willing to retake classes and stuff.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Oh man, I always referred to Diff Eqs as Difficult Equations. I hated that class. If it makes you feel any better (it won't) I only pulled a C.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462
    If you want to ride me for wanting to get my grade changed or because I want a 4.0 I can understand it. But I worked really hard in school taking challenging courses and often doing more than what was needed to get an A in the end to ensure that I got it. I think its pretty stupid for me to get screwed over on something like this. When I'd be willing to retake classes and stuff.
    I don't want to give you a hard time.. I'm very, very, impressed when someone makes it thru college with all A grades but one. I also like that you take the approach of tackling a challenging class rather than take the easy A. If I ever need to hire an engineer, you'll be first on the list.

That said, you open a big 'ol can of worms when you want to change grades just to save your GPA. If they do it for your 3.88, who is to say the guy who has 3 Bs and a 3.88 shouldn't also have his grades changed?

And if you'll do it for him, you might as well do it for the guy with 6 Bs, then 6 Bs and a C, and so on...

There won't be any difference to you regarding the 3.88 vs 4.0. You took a tough class, and didn't do well. I'd retake it to see if your grade comes up, that will look good on your transcript if anyone really looks at it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

WBB Member
    I don't think there's anything you can do at this point if your college doesn't allow you to retake classes.

The fact is some profs are @$$holes and even though you can come up with 100 reasons why they screwed you over, it's not going to matter.

If you are planning on going into industry, I wouldn't worry about it. The difference between a 3.88 and 4.0 is insignificant.

If you want to go to grad school, a 3.88 is still extremely good. My gpa was somewhat lower than that and I still got into a few top-10 EE programs, although I wasn't offered a tuition waiver/stipend at all of them.

BTW what school are you at?
    Last edited by SpecialK; 07-20-2005 at 03:00 PM.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    NJIT, I think im going to stay and do the BS-Ph'D thing.

"That said, you open a big 'ol can of worms when you want to change grades just to save your GPA. If they do it for your 3.88, who is to say the guy who has 3 Bs and a 3.88 shouldn't also have his grades changed?"

You bring up a good point. I just think that if someone has had experience in challenging grades I could benefit myself from hearing them out.

Once you get your first job, your GPA will never matter again

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    Did you say you're staying at the same school for grad work? Usually this sort of thing doesn't matter at all if that is the case. Even going elsewhere, I think anything over a 3.5 puts you in good shape for just about every grad school out there.

Also, one of the big things I have realized is that grades really don't mean ****. They represent what you knew on test day about the material on the test. If you're smart (and I have met people with gpas in the high 3s that aren't), then potential employers will pick up on it VERY quickly. Same goes if you're dumb. My advice: don't worry about it.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

If you're staying to go on for your PhD, you'll have no problem getting into the program and once you finish no one will care about your undergrad grades.

I'm still amazed that an engineer and couldn't squeeze more than a D out of Diff Eq.

I don't want to give you a hard time.. I'm very, very, impressed when someone makes it thru college with all A grades but one. I also like that you take the approach of tackling a challenging class rather than take the easy A. If I ever need to hire an engineer, you'll be first on the list.
    In all fairness, I knew of quite a few 4.0 students with absolutely no skill in their chosen field. College is like any other form of education - people can always find a way to use memorization and "study groups" as a crutch to push them through.

Grasshoppa
    My university allowed students to retake courses if you received a C- or lower and replace the grade (as C- was technically a failing grade for my major). I'd say that you should have spoken to the professor as you were getting this D so that he could provide some extra work for you if possible...I doubt that any university officials would do anything to help change that for you.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    In all fairness, I knew of quite a few 4.0 students with absolutely no skill in their chosen field. College is like any other form of education - people can always find a way to use memorization and "study groups" as a crutch to push them through.
    I found that a lot of tests didn't really test your mastery of the material, they simply tested your ability to take tests, which involved learning how the professor likes to test material, memorizing similar problems and simply applying the same procedure to a new situation, etc. There would usually be a few questions on the exams that only the people who thoroughly understood the material would get correct, but thanks to partial credit and curves you could usually get a pretty good grade just by using the approach you described.

Although this method is usually less work than actually learning the material and all of the theory behind it, when you are taking 18+ hours of math/science/engineering classes you sometimes simply don't have the time to study each class as in-depth as is necessary to really understand it. Plus college isn't all about the grades anyway. You still have to balance having a life and having fun, so people will take shortcuts like that to cut down on the time spent studying so they can have more fun.

I'm not saying it won't have consequences later on when they get a real job and have to apply that knowledge (or lack thereof) though.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    If I ever need to hire an engineer, you'll be first on the list.
    Second. I'm number one, punk.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'm still amazed that an engineer and couldn't squeeze more than a D out of Diff Eq.
    It ain't DiffEQ.

He took PDE. Completely different beast.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    It ain't DiffEQ.

He took PDE. Completely different beast.
    Not at my school, so I'd assume at a difficult engineering school, our context would be similar. Don't make me whip out the math degree and spank you with it.

Ick.

DiffEqs.

Horrible memories flooding back to me.

ODEs were unpleasant enough, but then, there were BVPs... I think I actually managed to drop that one. Or forget I took it at least.

Why couldn't it all be integrals and derivatives? That stuff was just so EASY ...

Let us know how this turns out for you nejar. The others are correct - it's not worth a hill of beans in the real world. But I understand you're not wanting to mar perfection. There's just something that sounds so lovely to the ear about a four-point-oh.

Really, this isn't about anything but your ego, so if it doesn't work out, please just let it go, move along, get massive and ripped, and make a ton of money, okay?

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Ick.

DiffEqs.

Horrible memories flooding back to me.

ODEs were unpleasant enough, but then, there were BVPs... I think I actually managed to drop that one. Or forget I took it at least.

If you can recommend a technique for forgetting this sort of thing, I'd love to hear it. I've got three semesters of grad level engineering math I'd love to block out--BVPs, IVPs, integral transforms, Greene's functions...

Seriously, I guess it is good stuff to know, but the classes were AWFUL
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

College is like any other form of education - people can always find a way to use memorization and "study groups" as a crutch to push them through.
    Ya, I also hate people who use studying as a crutch to get good grades.
    Last edited by Manveet; 07-20-2005 at 07:12 PM.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg