The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    Ya, I also hate people who use studying as a crutch to get good grades.
    There is a big difference between natural ability and hard work. Lots of people out there tend to learn just for the tests, and do well, but don't truly comprehend. They end up not having a clue once they get out of school, and this becomes apparent very quickly.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

Dude you should of took raquetball, now that is an easy class. College is overrated if you are entering the real world. Degrees will get you in the door the first time, after that it is who you know and how well you work. If your goal is to get your PhD and be a professor, remember what happened to you when you got a D, maybe you'll be nicer to the student.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher
    Dude you should of took raquetball, now that is an easy class. College is overrated if you are entering the real world. Degrees will get you in the door the first time, after that it is who you know and how well you work. If your goal is to get your PhD and be a professor, remember what happened to you when you got a D, maybe you'll be nicer to the student.
    Another thing I learned in school: professors are people who could not get real jobs.

My Journal

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Thanks for all the advice. It makes me feel a lot better about my GPA now. I'm going to talk to my professor but I think I'll care a lot less now.

I got an A in my ODE class which did have some PDE's. But the pure PDE class was very very difficult.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Quote Originally Posted by Big & Tall
    There is a big difference between natural ability and hard work. Lots of people out there tend to learn just for the tests, and do well, but don't truly comprehend. They end up not having a clue once they get out of school, and this becomes apparent very quickly.
    Oh, so if I don't have a natural ability for something I should just give up, or try something else? I don't see why people feel the need to down play hard work.

If anything, studying illustrates that the individual has at least a desire to succeed. I personally do not see anything wrong with that.

But I digress....
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Oh, so if I don't have a natural ability for something I should just give up, or try something else? I don't see why people feel the need to down play hard work.

If anything, studying illustrates that the individual has at least a desire to succeed. I personally do not see anything wrong with that.

But I digress....
    Not my point. Hard work is very important. However, despite accreditation programs and well designed tests, it still seems like a lot of people who don't truly understand the material make it through the system; many of them have good grades. I think these are the "study group" people galileo was originally talking about. If someone can truly understand the material, but has to work two or three times as hard as the next guy, I respect that. Either type can be very successful. It's the ones that don't comprehend and don't retain that I have a problem with.

My Journal

I have no idea why you think you should be given an A... Your friend has really nothing to do with it unless he got the exact same test scores (w. presumably the same homework as you mentioned) and ended up getting a better grade.

If your school has no second-grade option policy and all you are worried about is a grade point, then I guess you should have chosen your classes and teachers more wisely.

Grasshoppa
    Another thing I learned in school: professors are people who could not get real jobs.
    All my professors were hired to lead research teams at my university, dunno where you went.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 07-20-2005 at 09:46 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Not my point. Hard work is very important. However, despite accreditation programs and well designed tests, it still seems like a lot of people who don't truly understand the material make it through the system; many of them have good grades. I think these are the "study group" people galileo was originally talking about. If someone can truly understand the material, but has to work two or three times as hard as the next guy, I respect that. Either type can be very successful. It's the ones that don't comprehend and don't retain that I have a problem with.
    Ah, okay.

Well, I agree with everything you mentioned in that post.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    All my professors were hired to lead research teams at my university, dunno where you went.
    Same at my university, which sucks because they were more concerned about their research then teaching. Also doing research at a university is a cake job with limited pressures, very insulated environment.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    Not at my school, so I'd assume at a difficult engineering school, our context would be similar. Don't make me whip out the math degree and spank you with it.
    Partial DiffEQ is completely different from the standard DiffEQ or DiffEQ II classes. And you know it, hemeaux.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher
    Also doing research at a university is a cake job with limited pressures, very insulated environment.

Only if you suck at it.

Your statement is wrong. Replace "is" with "can be" and you'd have a better chance at making a point.

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"

Pearls of Wisdom...

Ya, I also hate people who use studying as a crutch to get good grades.
    Study groups, *******. As in, "Let's do our homework together tonight. What did you get for 1-10?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    The comment was a bit toungue-in-cheek. However, I went to a well ranked engineering grad school, and I found that almost all of the profs there were horrible. They had no interest in teaching (even at the grad level) and widely regarded students as a nuisance. My favorite was when the department gave a distinguished professor award to the prof who barely showed up to teach, and who gave an A to everyone so we wouldn't bother him.

I understand that research is important, but I firmly believe that first and foremost, the purpose of a university is to educate. Too many profs I met at this "good" engineering school didn't care AT ALL about teaching. Unfortunately, these people had tenure, so all the student complaints in the world didn't mean **** to the department, or even the college. It becomes a haven for these people, and they basically just ignore half of their responsibilities without repercussion. What other job allows someone to do that?
    Last edited by Big & Tall; 07-20-2005 at 10:52 PM.

My Journal

Diff EQ's rule!

In my time at Virginia Tech, when I wasn't partying or playing volleyball, I majored in engineering. (Never graduated becasue I took my social and academic responsibilities more seroiusly than my academic ones.)

I loved diff eq's. Each problem was like a little puzzle. Too bad I didn't put my enthusiasm of diff eq's into the rest of my classwork..

(don't remember a lick of it now, 15 years later, but...)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Where did you go to school? Professorships are among the most competitive positions to obtain in the engineering field. Is it not uncommon for there to be a couple hundred qualified applicants for a single spot at a tier I university. I do agree that once profs obtain tenor their demands are lessened. However, the majority of these people are not motivated by salary or advancing up the ladder. They could make 2x-3x their salary working in industry. They genuinely have an interest in what they are studying. Try asking a prof how his research is going sometime, he'll probably talk your ear off. The thing is, they could care less about some remedial (to them anyway) topic, I can't say I blame them. I understand that this can create difficulties for students, but the primary reason they are working for the university is for research, not to hold students hands through a semester. A school's national reputation is the result of the research done by the faculty, not how "good" of teachers they are.

There's A LOT of ignorance being thrown around in this thread about professors.

Some of y'all need to get over your little anger spouts and bad experiences and realize that being a professor is NOT an easy job by default. You can make it an easy job, just as you can with ANY profession - but I think quite a few of you just have your panties in a wad about something that happened to you a while back.

Pearls of Wisdom...

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    "I have no idea why you think you should be given an A... Your friend has really nothing to do with it unless he got the exact same test scores (w. presumably the same homework as you mentioned) and ended up getting a better grade."

We did have the same test scores actually. Our homeworks were almost the same in content because we did all the problems together, something the professor encouraged.

"If your school has no second-grade option policy and all you are worried about is a grade point, then I guess you should have chosen your classes and teachers more wisely."

Well I didn't know what 80% of my grade was till the final day because he never handed back work. We had no tests done by the drop date or no homework returned. Once the drop date passes you fail the homework. I had assumed since I had gotten A's in all my other math classes quite easily and that you can simply drop the class if you're big in trouble as long as its before the drop date, my grade would at worst be a B-.

I'm hoping that someone has advice to give me on this subject matter because I'd more than willing to retake the course, but my university's grading policy doesn't allow grade replacements. I feel given the fact that I feel that my grade is grossly unfair and can prove it, as well as the service I have provided to school and my past GPA might give me some sort of leverage to work a deal. I think that if retaking one course can boost your final GPA by .12 its well worth it. Another fact I failed to mention is many students have had problems with this professor so I think given his history and and mine I could make a solid argument that a grade replacement might be in order.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Only if you suck at it.

Your statement is wrong. Replace "is" with "can be" and you'd have a better chance at making a point.
    I've had five research college jobs and they were all cake. So IMO it is a cake job, but I guess for some people it can be a cake job.

It's a cake job if you're not doing real, in-depth research and you're not juggling millions of dollars in a high-stress environment.

There ARE many profs who are doing this stuff - as stressful or more than in the private sector.

Pearls of Wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    There's A LOT of ignorance being thrown around in this thread about professors.

Some of y'all need to get over your little anger spouts and bad experiences and realize that being a professor is NOT an easy job by default. You can make it an easy job, just as you can with ANY profession - but I think quite a few of you just have your panties in a wad about something that happened to you a while back.
    Yes, I realize this. In my grad school experience, too many were trying to make it an easy job, and it was a very negative experience. Most of the students in my department felt the same way, and attrition was becoming a big problem very quickly. As I said above, the bit about not being able to get real jobs was sarcasm, but with a bit of truth to it. Even after getting out, getting a job, and getting my panties unbunched, I still don't think that most of my grad school profs were approaching things the right way.

Where did you go to school? Professorships are among the most competitive positions to obtain in the engineering field. Is it not uncommon for there to be a couple hundred qualified applicants for a single spot at a tier I university. I do agree that once profs obtain tenor their demands are lessened. However, the majority of these people are not motivated by salary or advancing up the ladder. They could make 2x-3x their salary working in industry. They genuinely have an interest in what they are studying. Try asking a prof how his research is going sometime, he'll probably talk your ear off. The thing is, they could care less about some remedial (to them anyway) topic, I can't say I blame them. I understand that this can create difficulties for students, but the primary reason they are working for the university is for research, not to hold students hands through a semester. A school's national reputation is the result of the research done by the faculty, not how "good" of teachers they are.
    Today 01:13 AM
    It wasn't remedial classes, it was grad school, and I was by no means expecting to have my hand held. I realize the rankings are a result of research; I would recommend in most cases if you want to get a decent education (especially as an undergrad), you're probably better off to go to a smaller school that isn't so research intensive.

My point all along has been that teaching gets horribly neglected, when it is supposed to be half of a prof's work. They need to do their research, too, but I think there should be a system in place to fire them if the level of student dissatisfaction is great enough. That would give them the research stability that is the reason for tenure, but would still hold them accountable for all of their responsibilities.
    Last edited by Big & Tall; 07-21-2005 at 04:19 PM.

My Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462
    I got a D in my math minor. I foolishy tried to challenge myself by taking a difficult course (Partial Differential Equations) instead of just taking a basic accounting class. In the end I learned nothing useful from it.

The professor was also a big dick but whatever I say I will come off as whining so I'll just give facts.

1) We didn't have any examination grades returned to us before the drop date. So I had no idea how well I was doing.

2) He didn't return our homeworks to us until the end of the class, which ended up being 50% of my grade. Yes I got a 49% on it, much lower than my friend who I did all the homework with who of course scored a 75%. Small mistakes such as forgetting constants on my math tests resulted in D grades.

3) I did try to complain but the professor just said he'd look at both the HW's but my grade is the same. I would have gone to the department head but she was out of town for a long time.

If you want to ride me for wanting to get my grade changed or because I want a 4.0 I can understand it. But I worked really hard in school taking challenging courses and often doing more than what was needed to get an A in the end to ensure that I got it. I think its pretty stupid for me to get screwed over on something like this. When I'd be willing to retake classes and stuff.
    I skimmed the thread and only read some of the posts, but if you got a D you deserve the grade. I had it far, far worse than that in some of my classes and the thing you should learn quickly is that no one has any sympathy. So you have to suck it up and deal with it. A bad professor (and yours doesn't even sound that bad) is an even playing field for everyone. If everyone in the class received Ds or lower maybe you'd have a legitimate complaint. BTW forgetting constants and such sounds to me like sloppy work and laziness. You're trying to be an engineer not a hair stylist. Those small things matter. Engineers I know would get 0 on any question that had any mistake on it, computational or otherwise. No partial marks, no sympathy.

It wasn't remedial classes, it was grad school, and I was by no means expecting to have my hand held. I realize the rankings are a result of research;
    If you're talking about a top university, the profs are among the brightest in their field. So, yes, a graduate level course in say, stochastic processes, while maybe challenging to first year grad students, is most likely way below the level of thinking they're used to.

I would recommend in most cases if you want to get a decent education (especially as an undergrad), you're probably better off to go to a smaller school that isn't so research intensive.
    I agree with that 100%. However, the decision for students is if they would rather have a better level of instruction or a diploma from one of the top institutions.

My point all along has been that teaching gets horribly neglected, when it is supposed to be half of a prof's work.
    While I agree that teaching gets neglected I'm not sure where you get this idea that 50% of a profs work is teaching. Universities that are leading their field will have many more profs than classes. Most of the profs I've been exposed to, who are renowned in their field, teach a class every semester at most.

When you get a degree from a college or university, you're being compared against your classmates. With the exception of different profs teaching the class different semesters, everyone pretty much faces the same challenges. Chalk it up to life experiences, learn what you can and move on. I don't think anyone would argue, that working in a competitive technical job is more like the prof that was completely vague, provided little help and was hard to understand than the one who laid everything out for you in an easy to understand manner.
    Last edited by JiggaHertz; 07-21-2005 at 08:32 PM.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Professor's are really smart and love their work from my experience and deserve all the cash they make if not more.

So I finally talked to the math department people about this. The department head agreed with me that this professor wasn't doing his job the way that he was supposed to. He however said that grade replacement is impossible at this school because it is a university guideline and it would be a nightmare on the systems. The professor has had numerous complaints from many students and is being forced to change the way he runs his class.

Looks like i did the right thing by complaining about the class but in the end im getting screwed anyway lol.

*edited because I realizing replying to pointless post, is well, pointless.
    Last edited by nejar462; 07-21-2005 at 09:32 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462
    \The professor has had numerous complaints from many students and is being forced to change the way he runs his class.

Looks like i did the right thing by complaining about the class but in the end im getting screwed anyway lol.
    It's good you voiced your complaint, but realize ultimately the university doesn't give a **** what you think about a professor. I had profs who received negative ratings for years and years. Absolute *******s (ie. giving exams on unassigned material, claiming you would be provided a formula sheet and not providing one intentionally, etc.) who still to this day I'm sure have their job. As long as they're doing great work in their field, the university doesn't much care how they treat their students or teach their class. The bottom line for the university is what kind of prestige and recognition this professor may bring them. After all, there will always be another student willing to trudge through the same **** at the end of the day.