Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64

Thread: Odd Problem-Grade Changing

  1. #51
    hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,236
    O dirt I understand what all too well. But I figure if there's a chance I could be allowed to retake the class for a grade replacement I would have taken it. No harm in asking eh?

    And a lot of professors I know are really fair, and really open to teaching their students. So its not fair to generalize.
    Last edited by nejar462; 07-21-2005 at 11:40 PM.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

    American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

    feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

    Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

  2. #52
    WBB Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    It's good you voiced your complaint, but realize ultimately the university doesn't give a **** what you think about a professor. I had profs who received negative ratings for years and years. Absolute *******s (ie. giving exams on unassigned material, claiming you would be provided a formula sheet and not providing one intentionally, etc.) who still to this day I'm sure have their job. As long as they're doing great work in their field, the university doesn't much care how they treat their students or teach their class. The bottom line for the university is what kind of prestige and recognition this professor may bring them. After all, there will always be another student willing to trudge through the same **** at the end of the day.

    At the end of every semester we got to fill out a teacher course evaluation form where we basically shared our thougts on the course and the professor. Supposedly the administration read them, although whether they actually took the advice anyone wrote on there is debatable. I used to enjoy writing how much a professor sucked at teaching, but by the time senior year came around I couldn't have cared less about the forms and didn't even fill out half of them because I knew they weren't really going to change anything.

    I remember visiting the college while in high school and staying with a current student and he was telling me about this @$$hole chemistry prof he had. When I later started there, this guy was still teaching, and everyone still hated him. Fast foward to senior year and I met some freshmen who were taking this guy's class and it sounded like he hadn't improved it one bit.

  3. #53
    Banned David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Posts
    2,269
    Id like to point your attention to the thread above this one about the lucky 14 year old boy.

    Perhaps you too can work something out with the professor in order to get an A

    Just a suggestion.

  4. #54
    Senior Member Jorge Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,607
    I disagree with most of what has been said in this thread. In my opinion, professors are making their classes too easy and are holding the students' hands too much. They provide the lecture notes and powerpoint slides online to keep the students happy. They bump up the grades in order to keep the students happy.

    University is being treated more as a business than an educational institution. Professors dumb down their lectures, lighten the workload, and basically play to the masses in order to attract students and get favourable evaluations from their students. Personally, I would rather be challenged, get a good education, and come out with a C average than fly through my courses with straight As (which is currently the case). Unfortunately this may discourage students/customers, so the universities and students take the easy road.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 07-22-2005 at 08:58 AM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    At the end of every semester we got to fill out a teacher course evaluation form where we basically shared our thougts on the course and the professor. Supposedly the administration read them, although whether they actually took the advice anyone wrote on there is debatable. I used to enjoy writing how much a professor sucked at teaching, but by the time senior year came around I couldn't have cared less about the forms and didn't even fill out half of them because I knew they weren't really going to change anything.

    I remember visiting the college while in high school and staying with a current student and he was telling me about this @$$hole chemistry prof he had. When I later started there, this guy was still teaching, and everyone still hated him. Fast foward to senior year and I met some freshmen who were taking this guy's class and it sounded like he hadn't improved it one bit.
    I can definitely relate to that. Like I said before a professor is usually kept around as long as he is doing good work in his field or has previously done good work in his field. If he increases the prestige of the institution they'll keep him around. Those forms were fun for a while though

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    I disagree with most of what has been said in this thread. In my opinion, professors are making their classes too easy and are holding the students' hands too much.
    I disagree with a lot of what you're saying. It has some validity, but I'd say for every professor that spoon feeds his students there's one or two who absolutely treat them like **** and do a horrible job teaching. I've taken courses where the professor gave exams that didn't include material that was even taught or assigned. Class average was 27% (200+ people) in one of them. I've also taken classes where students were provided lecture notes and basically given the final exam questions. These are both the extreme ends of the spectrum and for the most part your average professor falls somewhere in between.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Jorge Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,607
    Well maybe my school just sucks, which is a conclusion that I have been coming to lately.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    I can definitely relate to that. Like I said before a professor is usually kept around as long as he is doing good work in his field or has previously done good work in his field. If he increases the prestige of the institution they'll keep him around. Those forms were fun for a while though
    The problem is C's wont get you anywhere when it comes to professional schools

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    The problem is C's wont get you anywhere when it comes to professional schools
    I'm not saying they do, nor am I saying I got C's or worse. I'm just saying part of the university experience is realizing and accepting the fact that no one gives a **** about you there. You're responsible for yourself. A bad professor is no excuse for a poor grade unless everyone else is receiving them as well. If other people are receiving A's and B's there is obviously a way to achieve that level of success. The fact you may be a straight A student in other courses is irrelevant. The way you're going about the class you're doing poorly in obviously isn't working. Adapt or fail, that isn't anyone's fault but your own. I'll say one thing though. There certainly are times when it is 100% the professor's fault (ie. testing based on unassigned material), but these are not the norm.

  10. #60
    hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,236
    "The fact you may be a straight A student in other courses is irrelevant."

    Completely disagree. The fact I'm a straight A student shows that about every other professor I've ever had agrees that the way I go about learning my subject matter and take my tests is fine the way it is. It also demonstrates my work ethic and study habits. If my grades was a research experiment you'd throw out the D or redo the experiment because it was obviously an aberration. And yes, I have been published before for research experiments.

    "If other people are receiving A's and B's there is obviously a way to achieve that level of success."

    Since you didn't read all the posts. I'll remind you that people who have had the same homework as me got 30 more points than me. Another friend who did the homework with us got a grade different from both of us as well. The professor didn't care enough to grade anything till the last 3 days (because I and several students continually asked for our papers until the last day) so everyone agrees he couldn't have done a good job on it. Unless you think its possible to grade 40 several page assignments from 30 students as well as 4 tests each within 3 days. My entire argument is that I felt his grading was random. I don't care about his ****ty teaching, him screwing us out of equation sheets, or putting in on unassigned material (things that have happened before in my other classes). The homework was 50% of our grade.

    If you can come up with several examples of how your professors have graded you randomly than I'll agree it was my fault in some way.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

    American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

    feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

    Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

  11. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462
    "The fact you may be a straight A student in other courses is irrelevant."

    Completely disagree. The fact I'm a straight A student shows that about every other professor I've ever had agrees that the way I go about learning my subject matter and take my tests is fine the way it is. It also demonstrates my work ethic and study habits. If my grades was a research experiment you'd throw out the D or redo the experiment because it was obviously an aberration. And yes, I have been published before for research experiments.

    "If other people are receiving A's and B's there is obviously a way to achieve that level of success."

    Since you didn't read all the posts. I'll remind you that people who have had the same homework as me got 30 more points than me. Another friend who did the homework with us got a grade different from both of us as well. The professor didn't care enough to grade anything till the last 3 days (because I and several students continually asked for our papers until the last day) so everyone agrees he couldn't have done a good job on it. Unless you think its possible to grade 40 several page assignments from 30 students as well as 4 tests each within 3 days. My entire argument is that I felt his grading was random. I don't care about his ****ty teaching, him screwing us out of equation sheets, or putting in on unassigned material (things that have happened before in my other classes). The homework was 50% of our grade.

    If you can come up with several examples of how your professors have graded you randomly than I'll agree it was my fault in some way.
    It's difficult for me to argue this with you, because obviously you know the whole story and I don't. However, I can certainly say nothing I've read surprises me. I can give you countless examples of where professors (or teaching assistants) randomly graded. Maybe you simply are unaware of how common it is?

    1. A friend and I had to write an article summary for a class. We worked on summarizing the main points together then wrote up the final papers separately. We handed them in to the same professor and they were marked by two different teaching assistants. Marks were based purely on content and not style and he received significantly higher than I did (maybe 15%). I went to the TA to complain and got some run around BS about how they weren't going to change my grade by that much, but they would give me some. *Note this was regardless of the fact I actually deserved more marks based on the marking outline.

    2. I took a class several years back and there were 3 Teaching Assistants for the course. Long story short, one TA marked all the assignments such that the avg was 65% (what the prof wanted) and all grades fell between 60 and 70%. *The professor raised my grade and remarked all the papers that TA graded.

    3. Another class I took the professor marked all the exams and his marking was inconsistent between papers. I had several good friends taking the same course and the disparity between our exams was laughable. You could have the same piece of information verbatim on 2 different exams and one person would get full marks and another might get part or zero. * You couldn't complain because he outright said whenever someone asks to add marks he goes over the exam and subtracts them elsewhere (sometimes more than are added).

    Anyway this wasn't meant to be a pissing contest about rough breaks. It was meant to point out that everyone goes through the same ****. I'm not sure how many years you have left in your undergraduate degree, but you need to get used to it. One other thing I'll never forget is during my undergrad I had two profs outright tell me I deserved an A+ in their course, but they refuse to give that grade out. Both profs gave me the maximum percent allowed for an A (before it becomes an A+) and said they have never given an A+ in their career and never planned to.

  12. #62
    Banned Praetorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    7th level
    Posts
    5,014
    Hey, at least your professors/TAs speak English. Down here, you're lucky if they can put two words together in English.
    Last edited by Praetorian; 07-23-2005 at 05:04 AM.

  13. #63
    hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,236
    "It was meant to point out that everyone goes through the same ****. I'm not sure how many years you have left in your undergraduate degree, but you need to get used to it"

    I'm practically done with my undergrad degree, so yes I'm used to the antics of professors. The point of my post isn't so I could whine or say I've been through worse than other people, the point of my post was if anyone had advice to give to me who had attempted to do a similar thing, then you attacked me and I defended myself.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

    American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

    feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

    Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

  14. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    There's A LOT of ignorance being thrown around in this thread about professors.

    Some of y'all need to get over your little anger spouts and bad experiences and realize that being a professor is NOT an easy job by default. You can make it an easy job, just as you can with ANY profession - but I think quite a few of you just have your panties in a wad about something that happened to you a while back.
    I couldn't agree more!


    Anyways that sucks about your grade. I'm kind of shocked that your school does not have grade forgiveness! I'm sure they have grade forgiveness under "special circumstances" but that might be harder to pull off. And don't feel bad for getting a D, it's ok. I mean if you did not find the class interesting then it's tough sometimes to get motivated to study. I took a course on Biology and hated it lol, and didn't do so well as a result. And yea I took 2 courses on PDES/BVPS but I like that stuff.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 07-24-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •