The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlifting...Convntional or Sumo...?

Hello everybody. Most of you have seen my build and i was just wondering based on my size and build which technique you think would be more beneficial for my deadlift. I wanna start a 10 week deadlift routine and i wanna pick one technique and stick with it but im not sure whether or not i should deadlift conventional or sumo style... just wondering what some of the more experienced deadlifters have to say about that and im open to any suggestions. Thanks ahead of time everyone!

http://kevin.majoros.us/media/files/MVI_1080.AVI - Me deadlifting, just to give you an idea of my build and the way i deadlift.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think it depends on your leverages as well as your build. I have short legs, short arms and wide hips (I'm a girl, btw, despite my avatar), which is "supposedly" a better build for sumo. Because of this I trained sumo exclusively for the last few years. But it turns out I actually have better leverages for conventional. Just this week I easily pulled more in training than my previous PR doing sumo.

I am currently training with a PL team and I find it really impossible to predict, from looking at everybody's build, which style they prefer for DL. I really think it may be an individual thing.

So I would say that you have to try both and see what works best for you.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

Thanks for the info. I have pretty short arms too and judging from my 400 pull -> http://kevin.majoros.us/media/files/MVI_1081.AVI i use alot more lower back to pull than my legs. Sumos are less leg movement more lower back movement right? Guess i'll have try experiment next time i DL, i kinda like the way conventionals feel though. Anyway thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by tholian8
    So I would say that you have to try both and see what works best for you.
    I agree. I'm similar build...(short legs) and sumo felt waaaay better for me.
    But my strength was legs/glutes...not lower back. Felt like sumo made me use my glutes more and not all lower back...that's why I did it.

Impressive video by the way...
    34 y/o, 5-10", ~210 lbs, natural
    My Training Journal

Do both. Really, each one works different areas, so work both of them into your routine. Eventually, you'll know which one works best for you.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Sounds good, thanks man.

with short arms, you should try sumo

for me conventional is a lot easier, but i also have long arms

Sumo uses A LOT more hips and less hamstrings/lower back. If your hips are lagging, it will take a lot of time and technical work to bring it up to par. I am working on my sumo right now - I believe that in the long run, I will be able to pull a lot more with it, but it will probably be a while before that happens.

Looking at your first clip (conventional), it looks to me like you aren't getting "behind" the bar w. your shoulders. Make sure that you are "pulling back" - this should help keep your legs from straightening so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Sumo uses A LOT more hips and less hamstrings/lower back. If your hips are lagging, it will take a lot of time and technical work to bring it up to par. I am working on my sumo right now - I believe that in the long run, I will be able to pull a lot more with it, but it will probably be a while before that happens.

Looking at your first clip (conventional), it looks to me like you aren't getting "behind" the bar w. your shoulders. Make sure that you are "pulling back" - this should help keep your legs from straightening so quickly.
    Thanks for the tips man, i'll try getting behind the bar with my shoulders more. By this you mean pulling my shoulders back from the whole time, even from the bottom of the lift?

WSers sometimes use a "CV deadlift" (a deadlift off of a low pulley) to help them master the feeling of "pulling backwards" rather than simply pulling up. Doing so should help you get your legs and hips into the movement more.

It's hard to explain, but try pulling "backwards" with some lighter weights on your DLs and see if you can catch what I'm trying to say.

Don't get TOO far behind the bar on the set-up, otherwise the bar will just start swinging! Could be the camera angle, but it looks like you set up w. your shoulders a little in front of the bar - try to bring them back in line w. the bar.

I'll have to give a shot, trial and error right. Thanks for the tips man!

I am 6'3, and whenever I do deadlifts and try to "pull back, not pull up" I scrape the **** out of my shins and bleed everywhere. Any tips? If I pull my socks up then I scrape the tops of my knees on the downward motion. If I give enough space in order to not scrape, I can feel that I'm moving incorrectly.

Part of it might be because our bars are brand new and have some wicked threading on them. But, that helps to grip it a lot better too. So I'm in a pickle of sorts.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

I suppose you could wear soccer shin guards. Why are you scraping on the way down?

i usually wear sweat pants for deads.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

I don't know about the other feds, but APA allows you to wear shin guards.

I usually only cut my shins when using a really good/new bar, and if that's the case, I don't care because the grip is so sweet, it makes the blood like victory blood.

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    I don't know about the other feds, but APA allows you to wear shin guards.

I usually only cut my shins when using a really good/new bar, and if that's the case, I don't care because the grip is so sweet, it makes the blood like victory blood.
    Yeah, but victory blood is still blood and that is disgusting. I don't bring disenfectant with me to the gym. Other people are using these bars, too. It's annoying to have to walk up a floor to grab the **** and come back.
    bests:
    ollld pics

Of course, I always clean anything if I bleed on it.

Drew's not a barbarian man, he's a very sohpisticated fellow with good manors so hold your tounge!

Thanks Kev

I didn't mean it to sound that way. I just didnt know if you were thinking about that outcome
    bests:
    ollld pics