Thread: Reps

Reps

If supposedly the higher rep range, 8-10, sparks hypertrophy, and obviously you will still get stronger, because you're still using weights...you would essentially be getting bigger muscles and stronger at the same time, instead of, at a lower rep range, 3-5, you would only be getting stronger, true? So why do the lower rep range, when you can do the higher range and get two in one? Would you get stronger, more quickly from doing lower reps or what? Personally, I do about 3 reps on bench, and that has worked...but...opinions?

*Bizump..mofos.

If you simply want to get stronger in the 1-3 rep range, and you do not care too much about hypertrophy, than doing sets in that rep range will, in general, best accomplish that task. However, while hypertrophy is best stimulated when lifting in the 7-12 rep range, remember that our muscles are made up of several fiber types/sub-types, and, because of this, complete and maximal development can only be achieved by stimulating all of them, plus other factors that contribute to growth. This takes a multi-rep range approach. While I believe that the majority of your time should be spent in the 7-12 rep range, you should also be lifting in the 1-3, 3-5, 12-15, and occasssional 20 and beyond range.

So if I want both hypertrophy and strength, I should incoorporate some 7-12 rep ranges in there along with some 1-3 reps?

That's what I do.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Yes...I usually like to start with an exercise in the 3-4 rep range, than move to several sets in the 7-12 range, and finish with a couple of sets in the 12-20 range. The majority of my sets are in the 7-12 range, however.

Would it be as effective if I did the low rep range for BB Bench Press and high rep range for DB Bench Press?

Sure, why not?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock