Thread: Reps on a bulk workout

Reps on a bulk workout

This is just the boards opinion, but when you go heavy, how many reps do you usually do? is it 3 sets of 6 reps, 8 reps? more or less?
    or do you guys (and girls) pyramid down 10 rep for set 1, 8 for set 2, and 6 for set 3 for example.

Thanks

P.S. I know this is all relative to the person, but i still felt like it would be good to hear other peoples comments.

For bulking I assume you mean putting on muscle weight/size. Keep it in the 5-9 rep range.

From what I understand the peak amount of reps for muscle strength is 3 reps, peak amount of reps for hypertrophy is 7 or 8. So try to stay around those numbers.

Remember bulking has a lot to do with your diet too. Eat a lot of calories and definitely a lot of protein.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    1-5 reps, anything more than 5 reps the intensity isnt high enough, and do alot of sets of a few exercises with basic movements. Cardinal rule, train to get stronger and eat to get bigger

i rarlely go over 5 reps 3-5 is my usualy range on all working sets
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

when i train i 'usually' get the reps from 0-5, warmups being the exception.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I used to train in the 6-8 rep range, but I've pushed it up to the 8-12 rep range when I'm bulking 'cause I'm finding it better for hypertrophy, for my body anyway. I use 6-8 rep sets for cutting, so I can keep the weight heavy on lower cals.

Yea I'm totally opposite I have to go heavy for hypertrophy 3-6 reps.

I use HST so I will usually be doing 15, 10 or 5 rep sets.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

I read my dad's weightlifting books a while ago that were written in the 70s and 80s. It basically says the best way to work out is to pyramid your reps/weight. Is this still practical?
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

Quote Originally Posted by ShredIsNotDead
    I read my dad's weightlifting books a while ago that were written in the 70s and 80s
    You should have just stopped there. Don't read old literature when you can find more modern literature (including this sight of course).

Quote Originally Posted by ROMANMAN
    Yea I'm totally opposite I have to go heavy for hypertrophy 3-6 reps.

Women have a slightly less well-developed CNS, and often respond to slightly higher rep ranges. I still don't go very high rep, but yes, higher than you.

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    You should have just stopped there. Don't read old literature when you can find more modern literature (including this sight of course).
    Hmm... There's a lot to learn from the old-timers... Sure, some of it is crap, but so is most of the stuff you find on the internet and in BBing mags...

Take a look at this site. It is simply awesome. Some of it is amusing, but some of it makes you shake your head at how amazingly ahead of their time some of these guys were.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...pindex.htm#cyr

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I used to train in the 6-8 rep range, but I've pushed it up to the 8-12 rep range when I'm bulking 'cause I'm finding it better for hypertrophy, for my body anyway. I use 6-8 rep sets for cutting, so I can keep the weight heavy on lower cals.

Great minds think alike. For the last year or so I've gone almost always higher than 8 and have found the results much better. In fact lately I've been doing one set with rest paused so really it's like 15+ reps and i'm lovin it.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Smalls I hate to ask but I haven't seen you around much lately so... are you a male or female?

Built can answer that one for ya (wink), lol. JK. I'm male.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Hmm... There's a lot to learn from the old-timers... Sure, some of it is crap, but so is most of the stuff you find on the internet and in BBing mags...

Take a look at this site. It is simply awesome. Some of it is amusing, but some of it makes you shake your head at how amazingly ahead of their time some of these guys were.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...pindex.htm#cyr
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Put your egos aside for 2 seconds here and answer my original question. Is it still practical to pyramid weight/reps, or do most people nowadays just go 8/8/8 (example).
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

but growing daily!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredIsNotDead
    Put your egos aside for 2 seconds here and answer my original question. Is it still practical to pyramid weight/reps, or do most people nowadays just go 8/8/8 (example).
    Unless human physiology has changed dramatically in the last 40 years it should still work

Zygote