The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

benching with db vs bb

since last summer ive gone to the gym and only used db's for benching since i had no one to spot me. (i know thats no excuse) but recently i go with my friend on my bench days so he can spot me. since last summer ive increased my DB bench by 25lb per arm and 20lb per arm for incline DB. ive just began doing regular benching with the barbell again. i feel as though i dont have enough energy to do both db and bb on the same day. should i split it or try doing lesser weight for one of them? i really would like to focus on bb bench some more but ive grown to love benching DB's. also do you think 25lb per arm is a good increase for 1 year? thanks...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I used dumbells pretty exclusively for the first couple years i worked out and i feel it helped my bench strength greatly. For 1 year 25 is ok for the casual lifter but if you ate plenty and lifted your ass off you'd be killing that ****.

Wannabebig Member
    yeah im trying to eat eat eat as you all say.

what are your stats (height/weight)

Wannabebig Member
    18yr old
    5'8
    150lb
    bench - 55lb db x 3
    squat - 205 x 6
    deadlift - 170 x 6

i have not maxed out on any of those main 3 yet. those are reps i do with the exception for bench. bench im stuck at 55x3 for now. i know i have more in me for squat and deadlift though.

same weight but your a good deal taller, i've managed some ok strength but you should gain another 10-20 lbs i'd say. Just keep lifting man you've got no where to go but up if you keep good form.

You said it yourself, don't do both on the same day. Every chest workout switch between them if you'd like although I don't recommend BB if you don't have a spotter.

Worst comes to worst I'd say stick with DBs. I only use DBs but check my max every so often on BBs.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Hey our deadlift max is the same heh. I find you just need to get your adrenaline pumping when deadlifting and just tell yourself you can lift that sh!t and then you will do it. That's what I did and I still feel like I should've pulled 180 x 6.

As for the db benching, you could always alternate them. Like one session do BB Bench and then do some accessory DB Benching afterwards. The next time you bench, do DB Bench first and do accessory BB Benching.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-21-2005 at 09:51 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Hey our deadlift max is the same heh. I find you just need to get your adrenaline pumping when deadlifting and just tell yourself you can lift that sh!t and then you will do it. That's what I did and I still feel like I should've pulled 180 x 6.

As for the db benching, you could always alternate them. Like one session do BB Bench and then do some accessory DB Benching afterwards. The next time you bench, do DB Bench first and do accessory BB Benching.
    i actually have no problem doing 170x6 for deadlift. i just added that into my routine recently so im trying to find the right # of reps and weight.

as for the benching, yeah i might try switching it up.

Wow man you should focuss on building up your tri's more because youre deadlift and squat are okay but you bench (no offense) sucks ass.

To answer the origina question: do either the db or bb press. Some people do db bench and inclines with the bar, and, more often, bench w/ the bar and incline w/ db's. No need to duplicate efforts by doing two benches.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

but growing daily!
    Dumbells are cool but I have found that they keep aggravating my shoulder injury (I think they were responsible for the initial injury) when I hoist them up to my chest, roll down onto the bench and hoist them up into position for the press.

So again you need a spotter or at least someone to hand you the weights once you start getting to 100LBS or more.

Zygote.

Wannabebig Member
    So, Im 5'4 and 15 and i squat 225x6 times and on 1rm i squat 300
    my bench is 205, my deadlift is 300, my powercleans suck they are 185 one rep max.
    I have only worked out exclusively for about a year and a half maybe. Are my stats any good?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    To answer the origina question: do either the db or bb press. Some people do db bench and inclines with the bar, and, more often, bench w/ the bar and incline w/ db's. No need to duplicate efforts by doing two benches.
    I use bars for both. I do one arm incline with dbs lol i use 50s and the same for one armed military. I dont see the use of dunbells on anytype of bench. thats just what i think i mean sometime they are fine on a bench when doing some things but not for bench press.

I find it's easier for me to increase my bench if I do DB sets more oftn and go back to bench for maxing or just to mix it up. I like dumbbells becuase you can't cheat them up and get a better center of the chest contraction.

Quote Originally Posted by hornet80
    I use bars for both. I do one arm incline with dbs lol i use 50s and the same for one armed military. I dont see the use of dunbells on anytype of bench. thats just what i think i mean sometime they are fine on a bench when doing some things but not for bench press.
    With db's on a flat bench. you are able to go further down than with a bar. You get a good stretch in the pecs and the ROM is greater. Plus, your stabilizer muscles are worked harder too, as it is much tougher to control two, independent weights than one.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150

I have to disagree on this. I have always done BB bench followed by DB bench and have had good results. My reasoning for this is I work the body as one unit, so to speak, when doing BB and then balance out any uneven points with DB's (working the stabilizers more IMO). Also, I only do 2 full sets of BB and BB bench (I only do warmups on BB bench, which is my first lift).

To say that doing both is not beneficial is incorrect. I know it can work. I think the trick is to keep the volume down thereby allowing you to have enough energy to lift heavy. Really, the only way to find out if it can work for you is to try it out.

FYI, when I do shoulders, I only do DB work as I found this is better for me (better than doing BB then DB).
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

but growing daily!
    Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    I have to disagree on this. I have always done BB bench followed by DB bench and have had good results. My reasoning for this is I work the body as one unit, so to speak, when doing BB and then balance out any uneven points with DB's (working the stabilizers more IMO). Also, I only do 2 full sets of BB and BB bench (I only do warmups on BB bench, which is my first lift).

To say that doing both is not beneficial is incorrect. I know it can work. I think the trick is to keep the volume down thereby allowing you to have enough energy to lift heavy. Really, the only way to find out if it can work for you is to try it out.

FYI, when I do shoulders, I only do DB work as I found this is better for me (better than doing BB then DB).
    I don't think it'll make a difference really whether you do 6 sets of DB vs 3 sets of BB + 3 sets of DB on the bench. The muscles worked are the same, time under tension is roughly the same. There is no synergistic benefit over doing a BB press over a DB except the amount of weight you can lift in total and a little bit of ROM.

Zygote

Quote Originally Posted by ROMANMAN
    Wow man you should focuss on building up your tri's more because youre deadlift and squat are okay but you bench (no offense) sucks ass.
    you said his bench sucks ass.. but what are you comparing it to?

bench - 55lb db x 3
    squat - 205 x 6
    deadlift - 170 x 6

I guess with BB he can probably push up 115 -135lbs. The ratio seems fine to me.