The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    The monkeys are listening Monkeybrains's Avatar

A couple of questions

I am going to try the exercise routine from the main wannabebig site, but it doesn't say how much cardio I should do or what days to do it, anyone got any suggestions?

Also, I have heard that you shouldn't shower soon after exercising as it can cause strokes, is this true, if so, how long should I wait?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I ever heard of the shower thing before, but it makes sense when your really overheated or something after a very intense workout. I dont think if its even true you should worry about it as your a beginner right?

The cardio well depends on whether your bulking or cutting.
    3 or 4 cardio sessions a week id say. they dont have to be excessively long, just make sure they are very sweaty and hard.

Uhh, don't know about that.

A nice hot shower is something I look forward to after lifting.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

You hit the theory behind the shower afterwards right on the nose there, Reiner.. It's suppose to be do with the fact that your body is already overheated, and you shouldn't put more stress on it then there already is. The same things goes for those of us that have true winters. You aren't suppose to step outside into the cold after a workout, because of the shock to the system. While I've got no true evidence (science) that the myth is true or false, I haven't seen anyone drop dead in the shower, or stepping outside into the snow. Nor have I heard any stories of it happening.

Also, amount of cardio only truly comes into affect if you are cutting, and even then it can be avoided by a stricter diet. The main reason cardio is done, is so that you give a workout to your heart as well. I'm not sure what kind of shape your in (beginning, been working out for some time.. not a clue about you), but unless your coming into this at half decent, then I would take the cardio easy at the beginning. Start off doing it once or twice a week just to get into the swing of it, and only do it light. Afterwards you can determine how much you can take, and how much time your able to spend on it. I don't think there's a limit on how much cardio you can do, but you got to remember the fact that it will burn muscle as well as fat as energy.

B.
    As a side note, I just switched over to the wannabebig routine (first one) and started my brother on it as well. I'm having fun with it.
    LaLa

Thanks for the quick replies.

Would it be best if I did my cardio exercise on the same days as my wieght training, or on separate days?

By the way, I am a begginer and I'm very skinny, so I guess I'm bulking, but I also want to get healthier...

decease, RIP
    separate. Good luck, and remember to eat alot!

Thankyou.

Or, if you decide to do it on the same day as weight training, then do it after. Never follow up cardio with weight training.

If you haven't already, I'd read up on the diet articles on wannabebig, and in the diet forum. At this point, (if you are skinny, and just starting out) you don't have to worry about following a diet on the dot, but the knowledge of what sorts of food you need in you, and an idea of when/how much to consume will probably help you.

And while I'm doing the guardian angel speach, remember good form before heavy weights, don't worry about how much you can lift only that the weight or reps continue to go up.. and don't expect on your second week to be doubling the weight you did the first. That's about it.

B.
    LaLa

Three common ways to have a stroke:
    1) flick plaque off the wall of the carotid artery downstream to the brain
    2) flick a blood clot to the brain
    3) bleed into the brain

Taking a shower isn't going to do any of those unless you fall in the shower and get a subdural hematoma.

More likely would be passing out in the shower from overheating. I almost did this once staying in a hot tub too long. Don't worry about having a stroke, though.

I agree with Delpi...I have been to a few polar bear dips, and if that doesn't shock your system into a stroke nothing will...
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

Wannabebig Member
    Monkey brains, the fact, as you said, that your a beginner and quite skinny, makes me think that perhaps you could get away with not doing any cardio at all.

Just build your routine around learning to do the big powerful lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench presses, dips, chins and rows.

Cardio at this stage will put a dampner on your muscle gaining capacity.

If ya wannabebig, you'll have to lift . BIG. And eat smart.
    ~DWB~

I wouldn't say get away without doing it at all, but I would suggest (like before) that you do it very informally (once or twice a week) and don't really do intense sessions of it. As one of your goals is to be healthy, strengthening the heart, or at least getting it kicking every now and then, will not hurt. At the same time, this little cardio will burn, for most purposes, absolutely nothing for fat or muscles, so it shouldn't hamper you too much.

B.
    LaLa

so when your in Florida and its just to hot, and you jump into the sea, you can get a stroke because of the big temprature changes, well thats just dandy.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Actually I do have a very small amount of abdominal fat, should I try and get rid of that first or will the weight training help get rid of it?

My vote would be to gain muscle mass first. Supporting the extra muscle will increase your basal metabolic rate. The increased BMR will cause you to burn the calories needed to lose the fat.

Okay, thanks.