Thread: If my goal weight is 185....

Wannabebig Member

If my goal weight is 185....

I am about to get into lifting again and currently my goal weight is 185. I weigh approximately 170 now and have no real muscle definition or anything. Should I plan to bulk up to about 195-200 before I start a cut? I could care less about fat gain while bulking. I just want to reach that goal of 185 and be relatively lean (10-12% bodyfat). I think it would be easier to bulk up quicker and then cut to do a totally clean bulk

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nos92LX
    I could care less about fat gain while bulking. I just want to reach that goal of 185 and be relatively lean (10-12% bodyfat).
    Thoughts?
    You are sort of contradicting yourself here. But yeah generally a bulk and a cut is the best way to go, althought keepign it clean will minimize your work on the cut. Loosing excess fat will be hard without loosing LBM if yo uare a hard gainer.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

riprogrammazione
    Why 185? Do you already know how you'll look at a lean 185? I'd suggest bulking as cleanly as possibile or it'll be harder to track true progress, but if you like suprises and sweating a lot more than neccessary, go for it!

I would say that you shoud bulk as high and clean as you can. Dont think that 15lbs will have you buldging with that bowflex body. If you can cleanly as possible bulk to like 230ish and then cut down to say 205is the results would be IMO more noticable.

Wannabebig Member
    I threw 185 out as an arbitrary number I guess. Not idea why. maybe I will try going higher like WBBIRL said

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    If you follow WBBIRL's advice, just make sure you have some sweat pants you can wear.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Dont know what your getting at there fix, but w/e....

I simply suggest a higher number because I assumed he only wanted to gain 15lbs... not a big gain even if it is all muscle. Whereas if he doubled that ammount, it would be much more noticable IMO. A lean 185 shouldnt look as good as a lean 200lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    A lean 185 would look much better than a skiinny ass 170 with no definition..which I am now. Correct? That is why I threw out 185 as a first goal

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    ...And a ripped 275 would look even better. Not the point.
    A bulk followed by a cut would do you well.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    If you follow WBBIRL's advice, just make sure you have some sweat pants you can wear.

I went from 175 to 220 and gained about 2 inches on my waist. It's not that unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    I went from 175 to 220 and gained about 2 inches on my waist. It's not that unreasonable.
    With a pretty clean diet I assume? I was planning on stopping my bulk at 195 or 200, but if what you did is possible for me, I may go higher. I started below 170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlP
    With a pretty clean diet I assume? I was planning on stopping my bulk at 195 or 200, but if what you did is possible for me, I may go higher. I started below 170 lbs.

Not particularly clean; I have a pretty fast metabolism, though.

Personally, I cannot stay sane doing a "clean bulk" and then cutting. When I'm bulking, I just make sure to hit my target cals, target protein, and when I get to about 12%~14%; I cut.

Edit: It isn't perfect, I could certainly do a better job and have better results; but I'm not stepping on a stage anytime soon, so its fine for me.
    Last edited by shootermcgavin7; 07-21-2005 at 12:00 PM.

NOS92LX how tall are you if you don't mind me asking.

And BTW I don't think a ripped 275lber would look that good... way way too big. But to each his own. As was said though, if you think you don't care about bodyfat but want to stay under 12% bf then you are kidding yourself. You'll exceed 12% bf in no time if you do a big bulk.

Wannabebig Member
    fatbr38, I am 5'11"

I do not want to be too big. I want to be bigger than I am with some muscle definiton. (I said 185 before because most of the guys I see in the UFC in the 185 weight division look pretty big to me) I will care about bodyfat once I stop my bulk. During the bulk I could care less what my bodyfat gets to. I will probably bulk until I hit about 195-200 and then cut to get donw to 185 and 10% or so bodyfat

Sound like a decent plan?
    Last edited by Nos92LX; 07-22-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Yeah it sounds like a decent plan, kinda like what i started off with.

I was 185 and wanted to get to 200 or 195. I ate a boatload of food and got to 195 in like 6 weeks no problem. I got a lot stronger but now I want to get under 10% bodyfat and then try to stay under 10% while gaining more muscle (slowly of course).

Just make sure that you understand what you're going to have to do in order to lose some of the bf %. It's not as easy as some might think. The bulking part is easy though... just stick to a good workout (I used a slightly modified WBB1) and eat til you have to make weird noises to keep from puking.

Good luck bro I think you'll be happy with your results.

Oh and btw I'm 5'11" also.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Yeah it sounds like a decent plan, kinda like what i started off with.

I was 185 and wanted to get to 200 or 195. I ate a boatload of food and got to 195 in like 6 weeks no problem. I got a lot stronger but now I want to get under 10% bodyfat and then try to stay under 10% while gaining more muscle (slowly of course).

Just make sure that you understand what you're going to have to do in order to lose some of the bf %. It's not as easy as some might think. The bulking part is easy though... just stick to a good workout (I used a slightly modified WBB1) and eat til you have to make weird noises to keep from puking.

Good luck bro I think you'll be happy with your results.
    Thanks man...I am goong to start eating like crazy this weekend and start up WBB1 on Monday. Looking forward to seeing my results

Yeah I started off with WBB1 with a couple slight tweaks and gained muscle size, weight, and strength like crazy. You probably won't have problems seeing the gains you're looking for.