Thread: Any Thoughts On This Routine?

Hybrid View

Any Thoughts On This Routine?

ok, after deciding multiple times to scrap my old routine and make my own, ive finally come up with something that i deem good enough to seriously consider doing to the point that id like to get it reviewed. i think the volume could be a bit high. (im cutting too; lifting for strength not size however)

monday: (upper body push day)

-flat bb bench (3-6 reps on work sets) 8 sets, 4 of them work sets.
    -flat db bench (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work
    -incline close grip bb bench (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work
    -dips: 3 sets to failure, ill only add weight to prevent a set from going over 15 reps, so for a while my dips will just be bodyweight (which makes going to failure not quite so bad)
    -triangle push ups: 3 sets to failure, ill only add weight to prevent going over 15 reps. (these are those things where you make a triangle with your hands, they are really hard for me to do too because my triceps are underconditioned relative to my chest)
    -push downs: (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work. (this is just to finish off my triceps, i dont think its overkill but its a good bit more work on one muscle than im used too)

Tuesday: (lower body pull)

-Deadlift (3-6 work rep range) 8 sets, 4 work
    -rack pulls ( 6-10 reps a set) 4 sets-3 work (having these is questionable to me because it seems like i might be overdoing my lower back)
    -SLDLS (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work
    -hyper extensions across my bench (hooking my legs under the safety bars on one side of my power rack) 3 sets to failure only weighted to prevent going over 15 reps (maybe i shouldnt go to failure on these or do slighlty higher reps)
    -leg curls (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work

Wednesday/thursday: off

friday: lower body push

-squats (3-6 work reps) 8 sets, 4 work
    -good mornings (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work ( i really wanted to put these somewhere and dl day was too full)
    -super setted lunges (6-10 reps a set) 8 sets, 6 work (since its both sides)
    -leg extensions (6-10 work rep range) 4 sets, 3 work.

Saturday: upper body pull

-bb rows (3-6 work rep range) 8 sets, 4 work
    -upright rows (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets 3 work (these will just go to nipples so as to prevent rotator cuff injury)
    -hammer curls (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work (i love hc's but quit doing them a while back, they were the first weighted exercise i ever did, and im a sentimental person )
    -Super setted one armed db rows (6-10 reps a set) 8 sets, 6 work (since its both sides)
    -chins 2 sets to failure weighted only to prevent going over 15 (wont have to worry about that for some time )
    -pull ups 2 sets to failure, weighted only to prevent going over 15 .

thats it. the assistance exercises might change from time to time.

if its too high volume, i might drop my assistance exercises to two work sets instead of 3. i like going push pull push pull, but if you think im getting similar movements too close together, feel free to tell me.

if you want to reccomend a totally different routine entireley, dont post, id like to mod this one with it still looking similar to how it does now.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 07-22-2005 at 06:43 PM.

that routine is looking great jack, but been thinking of doing the exact same thing myself . i guess it just goes to show you, that great minds think alike ...

lol, bump.

really, i think the volume is probably too high, thoughts?

Dude so when you say "8 sets, 4 working" you mean that you're doing 4 warmup sets and 4 working sets or am I missing something?

It looks like you got some pretty high volume, I'd say too much. Anyway if you're going for strength then why for some of the exercises are you doing 6-10 reps? Try doing less reps at higher weight.

I would also switch lower body push and upper body pull because when you restart your split your upper body (which is day #1) will have had more rest since it was last worked. But anyway it might not be a big deal really since it's upper body push vs. pull.

But yeah I'd say too many sets and in a few cases too many reps for strength gains.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Get rid of the comments, lol. It's really hard to see what's going on.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

i hope you're not neglecting your shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    i hope you're not neglecting your shoulders
    im not neglecting my shoulders. there is some delt involvement in my incline press and a good bit in my rows too. doing military presses as often as bench doesnt seem to have helped me much, i need more tricep strength. more importantly, note that i said that my assistance exercises might be changing from time to time, i could very well work a good bit of OH pressing in. im not doing lateral raises though, they are just too isolation for me.

@ b_sinning: keep in mind this is for strength, and its my opinion that ill develop more pushing strength through another flat press than i will through flys. also im not looking to put on any mass on me (which ive always felt was what flys were best used to do) since im still cutting for a while. my cut is very needed too, im still quite high bf%, and im talking like well over 20%. i forgot to mention that i have very limited access to machines so more hamstring work without doing more big compound movements ( rack pulls, dls, and sldls will be putting a lot of stress on me. i cant add more big lifts on that day)

@fatrb38: yes, thats exactly what it means. i was thinking someone would comment on the volume being too high, and frankly i agree. do you like the idea of me dropping one work set of basically everything? as to why the reps are higher on my assistance lifts, i cant go super heavy on EVERYTHING that would be asking to burn my CNS out. imo the 6-10 rep range is ideal for this because im still in a range that yeilds strength gains, but is also high enough reps not to overload my body. think about assistance exercises in routines like westside, they are in this range because its pretty appropriate for assistance exercises.

@cc: ill put dashes in each one, since the comments are after the general description of what im doing, you can just cut off reading if you feel like it.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 07-22-2005 at 06:42 PM.

MAybe try to squeeze in another hamstring excersice on your leg day and instead of doing 2 flat benching excercies do a fly or something focused on the middle of the chest.

Yeah dropping a set from each exercise seems about right. Once you start the routine go ahead and see how it feels. I still think that some of the exercises you can do higher weight/lower reps but it depends on what you're looking for and it's not like 6-10 reps will keep you from getting stronger or bigger so it's kinda up to you (actually it's 100% up to you).

Also I'd hate to say it but I haven't checked out all of the trademark workouts (including westside) and I don't quite understand what you mean by "assistance" exercises. If you dropped a set from each exercise do you think you might be able to go heavier if necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Yeah dropping a set from each exercise seems about right. Once you start the routine go ahead and see how it feels. I still think that some of the exercises you can do higher weight/lower reps but it depends on what you're looking for and it's not like 6-10 reps will keep you from getting stronger or bigger so it's kinda up to you (actually it's 100% up to you).

Also I'd hate to say it but I haven't checked out all of the trademark workouts (including westside) and I don't quite understand what you mean by "assistance" exercises. If you dropped a set from each exercise do you think you might be able to go heavier if necessary?
    assistance exercises are done to help you with a specific lift. for example, youll notice that powerlifters still work their abs. they arent doing it so they can have nice abs, they are doing to build their squat/dl because it strengthens their core and helps push their numbers up. or when they work their triceps, they arent bb'ers, they arent working them for asthetics, its to 'assist' them in bench pressing by strengthening their triceps. basically, every lift power lifters do that arent the big 3 are done to help their bench/squat/dead #'s because if you just do the big 3, you get imbalances and weak points sooner or later that cant be corrected by the big 3 alone.

if i dropped a set from each exercise, i still wouldnt want to do high weight low reps on all those exercises. thats a LOT of stress on the CNS, pushing a few triples a workout is plenty, if i dropped down and pushed 3 or 4 reps on all my exercises i think id get considerabley weaker.

Once you warm up a muscel group, you don't need to do it a second time. That is, once you've done your bb bench, you can go straight to db bench.

Once you do close-grip press, no need to do a warmup on the push downs.

etc...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Once you warm up a muscel group, you don't need to do it a second time. That is, once you've done your bb bench, you can go straight to db bench.

Once you do close-grip press, no need to do a warmup on the push downs.

etc...
    true, i just felt like throwing that in there for the heck of it. i dont mind ditching them. i will do them for the first few workouts or so though because some of those exercises i dont have much expiereince with.

not that this makes any difference, but i forgot to mention it. im going to be messing around with the really heavy exercises a little. for example, ill make sure to hit a nice triple with my normal bench form. but then i might also do a set or two of heavy benches with pause & explode off the chest after that, all in all, it would still total 4, but i would actually be doing variations of the exercise, like 2 sets conventional 2 sets pause & explode reps. or take deadlift, i could do sumos, conventionals, or put my feet even closer than normal for a set or two out of that 4. this adds variety to my really heavy lifts which is very important imo. but it also maintains the basic exercises and ensures that they get worked which imo is also very important.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 07-22-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b_sinning
    MAybe try to squeeze in another hamstring excersice on your leg day and instead of doing 2 flat benching excercies do a fly or something focused on the middle of the chest.
    Hell nah Bench all the way brotha!
    Last edited by Gutz981; 07-22-2005 at 09:30 PM.