Thread: Any Thoughts On This Routine?

Threaded View

Any Thoughts On This Routine?

ok, after deciding multiple times to scrap my old routine and make my own, ive finally come up with something that i deem good enough to seriously consider doing to the point that id like to get it reviewed. i think the volume could be a bit high. (im cutting too; lifting for strength not size however)

monday: (upper body push day)

-flat bb bench (3-6 reps on work sets) 8 sets, 4 of them work sets.
    -flat db bench (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work
    -incline close grip bb bench (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work
    -dips: 3 sets to failure, ill only add weight to prevent a set from going over 15 reps, so for a while my dips will just be bodyweight (which makes going to failure not quite so bad)
    -triangle push ups: 3 sets to failure, ill only add weight to prevent going over 15 reps. (these are those things where you make a triangle with your hands, they are really hard for me to do too because my triceps are underconditioned relative to my chest)
    -push downs: (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work. (this is just to finish off my triceps, i dont think its overkill but its a good bit more work on one muscle than im used too)

Tuesday: (lower body pull)

-Deadlift (3-6 work rep range) 8 sets, 4 work
    -rack pulls ( 6-10 reps a set) 4 sets-3 work (having these is questionable to me because it seems like i might be overdoing my lower back)
    -SLDLS (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work
    -hyper extensions across my bench (hooking my legs under the safety bars on one side of my power rack) 3 sets to failure only weighted to prevent going over 15 reps (maybe i shouldnt go to failure on these or do slighlty higher reps)
    -leg curls (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work

Wednesday/thursday: off

friday: lower body push

-squats (3-6 work reps) 8 sets, 4 work
    -good mornings (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work ( i really wanted to put these somewhere and dl day was too full)
    -super setted lunges (6-10 reps a set) 8 sets, 6 work (since its both sides)
    -leg extensions (6-10 work rep range) 4 sets, 3 work.

Saturday: upper body pull

-bb rows (3-6 work rep range) 8 sets, 4 work
    -upright rows (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets 3 work (these will just go to nipples so as to prevent rotator cuff injury)
    -hammer curls (6-10 reps a set) 4 sets, 3 work (i love hc's but quit doing them a while back, they were the first weighted exercise i ever did, and im a sentimental person )
    -Super setted one armed db rows (6-10 reps a set) 8 sets, 6 work (since its both sides)
    -chins 2 sets to failure weighted only to prevent going over 15 (wont have to worry about that for some time )
    -pull ups 2 sets to failure, weighted only to prevent going over 15 .

thats it. the assistance exercises might change from time to time.

if its too high volume, i might drop my assistance exercises to two work sets instead of 3. i like going push pull push pull, but if you think im getting similar movements too close together, feel free to tell me.

if you want to reccomend a totally different routine entireley, dont post, id like to mod this one with it still looking similar to how it does now.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 07-22-2005 at 06:43 PM.