Thread: Tuna differences

The whistles go Wooo! jollyrancher's Avatar

Tuna differences

Added tuna to my grocery list so I'd have a late night high protein snack.

I get to the store and find two types of tuna. Chunk light and White Albacore. Is one better than the other? The Albacore is twice as expensive.

I am finding it hard to remind myself to eat every couple of hours. I need an alarm on my phone to remind me. :evillaugh

YES! YES YES YES!!! Gosh, you are my hero! I was just about to post this question as well.

There's 2 more grams of protein per serving in the albacore. I was hoping there was less traces of murcury in the albacore so I could binge on it.

the Albacore is the one you should limit your intake on since it is much higher in mercury than the chunk light stuff.

OH ASS! Son of a... I figured it would be more expensive so less murcury...ass crack. How many cans of tuna can I have a week and feel good? Albacore?

I'm not sure how many you should eat. the gov't say we should limit our intake to 6oz of albacore a week but they also say we should only have 12 oz of chunk light so...I've read that the alb. contains up to 3 times more mercury than light.

Jul 2005
    go for chunklite tuna. if its 2g less. and costs twice as much just get a few extra cans of tuna.

and what doesnt kill you makes u stronger..
    Stats
    Height : 5'8
    Weight : 110
    Goals
    Become a broly gain or attempt to gain 50-80 pounds by 1 year anniversry joing WBB.
    Gain 10-15 Pounds by September 6th

The gov't also says we only need 48g or protein a day....

Plus the biggest dangers are to yound children and expectant mothers. So unless you are four, or you plan on having a baby soon, I wouldn't worry about it.

The poster (BG5150) is not a doctor, nor does he play one on TV. This post is purely opinion and is not meant as dietary or medical advice of any kind.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

ive eaten 1-2 cans a day for about 6 months now, and I also just had some lab blood work done. Results were negative. Dont worry about the mercury.

Of course, i was only eating the chunk light, not because Im scared of the mercury, but because its way cheaper. You can almost buy fresh tuna for the price of albacore.

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    YES! YES YES YES!!! Gosh, you are my hero! I was just about to post this question as well.

There's 2 more grams of protein per serving in the albacore. I was hoping there was less traces of murcury in the albacore so I could binge on it.
    thats neccessaryly true. most nutritional results taken will vary a bit and not be 100% accurate. hell some times they can be like 50% out.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Well I'll be eating Chunk Light from now on, and probably just one can on the days I work out.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    The gov't also says we only need 48g or protein a day....

Plus the biggest dangers are to yound children and expectant mothers. So unless you are four, or you plan on having a baby soon, I wouldn't worry about it.

The poster (BG5150) is not a doctor, nor does he play one on TV. This post is purely opinion and is not meant as dietary or medical advice of any kind.
    I never said i agreed with them. That's why i said "but they also say we should only get 12oz of chunk light, so...." I was trying to point out that the gov't doesn't know WTF they are talking about most of the time.

Well...not to side with them (I hate Bush--although this has nothing to do with Bush really) but the government's not trying to build an army of bodybuilders.

Wannabebig Member
    I actually prefer the taste and texture of Starkist Chunk Light to the more expensive Albacore. Plus its fewer calories, the same amount of protein, and less risk of mercury problems.

Also, they have Chunk White at the store I shop in. It's kind of a mix.

And Chicken of the Sea brand is terrible. Terrible with a capital G.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thajeepster
    ive eaten 1-2 cans a day for about 6 months now, and I also just had some lab blood work done. Results were negative. Dont worry about the mercury.

Of course, i was only eating the chunk light, not because Im scared of the mercury, but because its way cheaper. You can almost buy fresh tuna for the price of albacore.
    Mercury levels are actually very hard to evaluate.

There is no way you can detect your level of mercury with blood work. It would only reveal mercury that is in the blood. Mercury won't stay in the blood, it will be stored in organs, brain, etc.

They can also do a hair analysis, but if the mercury levels are high, it could mean that in fact you are very good at eliminating it, while if it's low, it could be that you wasn't explosed much to it or that you have problems eliminating it.

So...what to do about mercury levels? I just have a can of tuna now everyday I workout, 4 a week. Bad?