Thread: Loosing inches, will it stop?

Wannabebig Member

Loosing inches, will it stop?

so at the moment I lift for maybe an hour a day 6 days a week. I have a pretty good schedule going, and play basketball about 2-3 times a day. I'm trying to cut fat, and eat 5-6 meals a day.

Heres the thing, I seem to be gaining pounds (i went from around 168-173, although my weight seems to change + or - 3 pounds every time i weigh myself, no matter if i do it at the same time each day...it always varies) but loosing inches on my stomach.

First of all, is this a good thing? why am i still going up in weight, is it because of the lifting? I am only 5 10 and although I look very fit I feel like 173 is overweight for some one my size.

Second of all my diet isnt to the point of counting calories. Ill have a normal sized dinner, sometimes a couple orange gummies or even a cookie or 2 afterwards (maybe doing this dessert thing 1x every 3 days) Shouldn't I be gaining inches because of this habit, not loosing them? or is my "alright" diet good enough to make me loose fat and gain muscle (theoretically what is going on?)

Third of all, will this go on for a while and then will I hit a wall where I'll need to switch to counting calories? I have a caliper and it tells me im around 6.2-7.3% body fat (i can see 4 of my abs does this correspond with that %?)

I just feel as if im not really doing a huge amount of things differently than I used to and these are the results. Is something wrong going on?

Thanks,

Mike

The best thing for you to do is track your calories for 3-4 days. Enter EVERYTHING on www.fitday.com and see where you stand. Report those totals back here.

As for the bodyfat, I would guess that at 7%, you should have better ab definition than that, so the calipers are probably a bit off. But, I could be wrong, and it may just be your genetic shape that is dictating the ab look.

You WILL hit a wall if your don't make your calories "count," so to speak. Once you determine the amount of calories you're eating, and what foods are making up most of your diet, then you'll see how quality these calories are. You can only bulk or cut for so long on crap calories. At some point, you'll need to be geting the most out of the calories you eat (by eating better, more nutrient-dense foods) by setting up a cleaner diet. You also need to get that protein in order to build muscle.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    ok, thanks for the info. I do eat a ton of protien (straight up sliced chicken and turkey from the deli make up my breakfast and lunch) and I take "alive! multi vitamin" which seems to be helping. as for fitday...ill start...today.

Keep this in mind.."a ton" of sliced deli meat isn't much on the protein front..

1/2 lb of most sliced lunchmeat is under 50g...and 8oz is a LOT of slices..lol.

you're looking to get 180-200g per day, just to make sure you're getting enough..

5/3/1 Journal

If you are at 8% body fat then you should have no problem seeing your abbs. It just meens that your abbs are big enough. Work them harder with heavy sets. What's your abb routine?

Yeah..it definitely could just be that the abs aren't developed too well yet.

5/3/1 Journal

Wannabebig Member
    i do the machine where you push down on the bar at 130x20, 135x15, 140x15
    then i do the side to side machine (sorry i cant remember these names) with the same wieght and 15x for each side. (3 sets)

follow this with 50 weighted decline situps

I think that i still need to continue to build them because they have become more noticable due to lifting. Also my right side is more noticable than my left, leading me to believe that i can't see them in their entirety is due to a lack of lifting, not too much fat.

Wannabebig Member
    one last thing, I can see them pretty clearly when i flex, but not nearly as clearly when i dont flex. how should they look when im not flexing? is their any way to have them always be a 6 pack without flexing?

get rid of more body fat and do weighted ab exercises. big abs + low BF% = bulging ab meat balls. haha

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by absynth
    one last thing, I can see them pretty clearly when i flex, but not nearly as clearly when i dont flex. how should they look when im not flexing? is their any way to have them always be a 6 pack without flexing?
    Lose fat.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    Lose fat.

hmm...looking back on that question i feel sorta stupid...

Sounds like you need to relax cuz. You're making yourself nuerotic over this. It really doesn't require this much mental masturbation. What you are experiencing is plain & simple, what's known a compositional shift. It's where fat is burned and muscle is added. You're leaned out 173, which many on this board would kill for. Just document the changes in a spiral and watch your diet. Losing inches is fine as long as you're adding lean mass. If you're burning muscle, too, then you have a problem.

DJ

You have the best problem in the world

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the insurance guys, its just wierd seeing my weight go up when im trying to cut. Its as if everything seems to point to me loosing weight except for the scale which yeh, made me freak out a little bit.

-Mike

Dont weigh yourself every day, do it once a week and always when you wake up. I do it every friday and that works for me... I wont notice the water weight or the food ive eaten this way. The best way to lose weight is to find out how many calories you need to stay at your current weight... once you have them subtract about 400 from them and you have a good cut going. If you are losing inches in good places (gut, chest, face, so on) then whats the problem?? Also at 5"10 you can weigh alot more then 173 and not be fat. Even if I got totally lean I could never get down to 173 and im barely 5"11.... My min weight would be something like 220lbs with some muscle loss from where Im at now. Dont base how much you shoudl weight on your height... base it on your muscular/structural build.