The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Help with benching

Hello,

The gist of it is what the title says: I suck at benching.

I can usually use the chest press to the top notch at the gym, however I barely lift anything when benching.

I admit that I do have an old shoulder injury that had surgery on about 4 years ago, but it is healed now and I have no excuse.

I weigh in at 80-85kgs and can only just bench about 6 * 65kgs. That is only about 3/4 of my body weight. People I know are becnhing their own body weight (the serious lifters are doing WAY over that.)

Has anybody got any relevant tips for me? I want to be able to bench at least 90kgs for my own sake as my sports coach wants minimum lift of 1* 90kgs to make the team.

Chris
    Last edited by chris_h; 07-23-2005 at 06:01 PM.
    Weight: 14 stone
    Height: 6 feet

Goal: Definition & Mass

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Its all about the triceps. If that doesnt work try doing variations or using db's.

Quote Originally Posted by ROMANMAN
    Its all about the triceps. If that doesnt work try doing variations or using db's.
    I dont work tricepts directly and my bench has been increasing for 4 weeks now.

edit: I didnt realise you said chest press (machine) you better start some BB benching. I'm sure once youre stabalizers get stronger your bench will benefit.
    Last edited by RussianRocket; 07-23-2005 at 06:31 PM.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRocket
    I dont work tricepts directly and my bench has been increasing for 4 weeks now.

edit: I didnt realise you said chest press (machine) you better start some BB benching. I'm sure once youre stabalizers get stronger your bench will benefit.
    Well I dont know if your a noob(probably are if you dont work tri's and your bench increases so fast) so dont get offended but if you are then offcourse it will increase fast but after you get like over 200lbs it slows down and you've realy gotta work the tris.

Have you checked out some of the threads and stickies on here?

First off you need to get off the machine at your gym and switch to dumbbell or barbell bench. And don't ever go back to that devil machine.
    Second of all you should eat more food than usual and eat a lot of protein.
    Third of all you need to at least check out the chest workout in the WBB1 routine.
    Fourth you need to get into the gym and keep your reps low (ie somewhere between 3-7 reps) and try not to do too many sets (4-8 sets would be good).
    Fifth you need to get plenty of rest after and between your workouts. When you work chest wait at least 2 or 3 days before considering lifting chest again.

That's about it, but you should also know that most people on here are in the United States (I'm pretty sure about this but not positive) and we use pounds (lbs) to measure weight. I recommend using lbs instead of kgs in your posts to keep the confusion to a minimum. I know it's weird that us Americans use our own forms of measurement and eventually we'll probably have to switch over to the metric system but until then you'd be doing everyone a favor by converting your kgs to lbs. Thanks.

yeah RR you freakin' noobs hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    yeah RR you freakin' noobs hahaha.
    you got me, i'm gonna go and cry
    didn't realise this was a Counter Strike forum.

Bench is not ALL tricepts, maybe i should have been more specific. By simply adjusting the way you bench you can add 20+ pounds, i did by using my lats more, which i have never done before. Keith Wassung had an article on this sometime ago.

Your bench will increase if you keep working your chest no doubt but there will come a point where you'll need to blast your triceps to start putting up bigger weight.

Wannabebig Member
    This is my favorite article on benching.
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....e=body_115b600

Mint
    Using a wider grip added a few pounds to my bench. At this point it's the only thing that had immediate noticable results.

There's no substitute to patience and hardwork though.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Grasshoppa
    Wide grip = chest, closer grip = tris. So, that could explain your sudden increase...whereas you may have been using your tris more, a wider grip shifts the focus to your chest.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 07-23-2005 at 09:33 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_h
    Hello,

The gist of it is what the title says: I suck at benching.

I can usually use the chest press to the top notch at the gym, however I barely lift anything when benching.

I admit that I do have an old shoulder injury that had surgery on about 4 years ago, but it is healed now and I have no excuse.

I weigh in at 80-85kgs and can only just bench about 6 * 65kgs. That is only about 3/4 of my body weight. People I know are becnhing their own body weight (the serious lifters are doing WAY over that.)

Has anybody got any relevant tips for me? I want to be able to bench at least 90kgs for my own sake as my sports coach wants minimum lift of 1* 90kgs to make the team.

Chris
    Question, have you given yourself time to progress? Or are you complaining that your starting weight is lower than you would like? Everyone starts differently. Where someone may be able to bench their bodyweight, another may only be able to bench the bar alone.

Use a weight that you can push with perfect form. Try to increase as often as possible. If you aren't gaining weight or progressing, eat more.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

When do you have to get your bench upto 90 kilos?
    PS. try to use pounds instead of kilos, it makes life easier.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey all,

thanks for all the responses & tips.

I do a chest press on the machine, but I actually use free weights to bench (not machine bench).

The lbs-kgs convert to (approx):

Current bench, around 145 lbs, target bench around 198-200 lbs.

I havent really benched properly in a few months due to work commitments (lack of weights access.) I am committed now, and just looking to improve the bench to my target.

I think from what you guys have said I need to keep working on the triceps and chest at the same time so that I can imrpove my bench, as well as improving my technique.

Any more help would be appreciated, thanks. I will try and read the other links you guys pointed out too.
    Weight: 14 stone
    Height: 6 feet

Goal: Definition & Mass

Quote Originally Posted by ROMANMAN
    When do you have to get your bench upto 90 kilos?
    PS. try to use pounds instead of kilos, it makes life easier.
    some people prefer to use kilos!

so 1kilo=2.205lbs
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

you can also bench more if you make sure to use good leg drive (dont lift your butt though, but flex your hamstrings and glutes), a back arch, and pinch your shoulderblades behind your back like power lifters do. i know that you want to be stronger as a goal, and with the help of this site you sure can, but first things first, sounds like you NEED that bench.

when do you have to hit your target? You can always try Westside. Or try this routine, i'm currently using it and have found progressing on major lifts almost every week. http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=187