Thread: Struggling with my shoulder routine...

Struggling with my shoulder routine...

So I recently made myself a new workout, this time a 4 day routine. It's been going great on everyday, except my shoulder day. It's really bothering me. I've been on this for 3 weeks, so today was my third shoulder day. Here's what I did, then I'll explain my problems:

Shoulders
    Arnold Press: 3X8
    Dumb lateral raise: 2X8
    Bent over rear delt row: 3X8
    Bent over lateral rear delt raise: 2x8

Traps
    Dumbell shrugs 3X8

Abbs
    Decline sit ups 3X8
    Hanging knee raises 3X8
    90-degree crunches 2x8

Okay, so with how i wrote my workout plan, I can also do a few different excercises. For example, I sometimes do barbell shrugs (another 2 or 3 sets) and sometimes barbell upright rows.

Anyway, my problem lies here: I'm struggling to hit all 3 shoulder blades in a reasonable set range. I thought I was doing really well with my bent over rear delt raise when I glanced at the mirror and saw my back was arching so bad I could have rolled down a hill. So, I dropped that. I then thought of doing cable face pulls, but the weight brings me in forward so it's hard to maintain form. Also, when doing bent over lateral rear delt raises are you supposed to hunch your back like that? Is that okay? Also, I'm struggling to really hit my obliques. Are heavy side bends okay? And if I do those (2 or 3 sets) then I'm up at 11 sets. Is that okay? I tried russian twists today on a decline bench but my abbs were so spent I couldn't hold myself at an angle to do russian twists. And, after my shoulder workout, my traps felt pretty hit anyway. I think the bent over rear delt raise's really killed my traps so I moved on without doing the barbell set. Anyway, how can I hit all 3 shoulder plates in a reasonable set range.

Suggestions are needed badly, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    Okay, so with how i wrote my workout plan, I can also do a few different excercises. For example, I sometimes do barbell shrugs (another 2 or 3 sets) and sometimes barbell upright rows.

Anyway, my problem lies here: I'm struggling to hit all 3 shoulder blades in a reasonable set range. I thought I was doing really well with my bent over rear delt raise when I glanced at the mirror and saw my back was arching so bad I could have rolled down a hill. So, I dropped that. I then thought of doing cable face pulls, but the weight brings me in forward so it's hard to maintain form. Also, when doing bent over lateral rear delt raises are you supposed to hunch your back like that? Is that okay? Also, I'm struggling to really hit my obliques. Are heavy side bends okay? And if I do those (2 or 3 sets) then I'm up at 11 sets. Is that okay? I tried russian twists today on a decline bench but my abbs were so spent I couldn't hold myself at an angle to do russian twists. And, after my shoulder workout, my traps felt pretty hit anyway. I think the bent over rear delt raise's really killed my traps so I moved on without doing the barbell set. Anyway, how can I hit all 3 shoulder plates in a reasonable set range.

Suggestions are needed badly, thanks.
    First of all I am having problems seeing the "bent over lateral rear delt raises". Does that look something like a back fly (I don't even know if that's what it would be called but the opposite of a pec fly) or bent over rows?

Anyway what makes you think that you are having problems hitting all three shoulder plates? Lack of strength gains or size or are you just going by feel?

Anyway doing those side bends with heavy weight will get your obliques really well. I use those and can handle some pretty f*cking heavy weight and I feel like my obliques are definitely the size and shape that I want them to be. Does your gym not have a torso rotation machine? (My LA Fitness has one made by cybex). If you're having problems with the russian twists then just do obliques on a different day than abs. I sometimes separate torso workouts like abs one day, obliques one day, and lower back one day.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

The gym I'm at now doesn't have one, but my gym back home does. I'm more a freeweight person. I can do russian twists at my home gym but not at this one. maybe I will do heavy side bends.

Maybe the names are wrong, but here:

Bent over rear delt row:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...arDeltRow.html

Bent over rear delt lateral raise:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...eralRaise.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...arDeltRow.html

This is the lift I absolutley cannot kept strict form with. I always raimbow my back. This is why I don't like bent-over barbell rows (similar motion). I always end up leaning forward.

The reason I think I'm not hitting all 3 plates is because I don't feel any soreness in my shoulders. My traps feel like bleeding, and my lateral blades are tired, but everything else is limp. Because I can't do it will with a barbell, I might start trying dumbell rear delt raises instead because I can then support myself with a bench.
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 07-24-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    This the lift I absolutley cannot kept strict form with. I always raimbow my back. This is why I don't like bent-over barbell rows (similar motion). I always end up leaning forward.

The reason I think I'm not hitting all 3 plates is because I don't feel any soreness in my shoulders. My traps feel like bleeding, and my lateral blades are tired, but everything else is limp. Because I can't do it will with a barbell, I might start trying dumbell rear delt raises instead because I can then support myself with a bench.
    Yeah switching to DBs should help a lot. Sit down and bend over like you're gonna eat knees then try them... should work.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Bent over rear delt row: 3X8
    Bent over lateral rear delt raise: 2x8

must you hit the rear delt twice?

Well I decided to do two more sets because of my failure with my bent over rear delt rows.

What do upright rows hit in terms of the shoulders? I have those on my routine and might work those too. <--- No need to answer this, I researched it.

Would this be a good shoulder routine in terms of hitting the whole shoulder?

Arnold press 3X8
    Upright row 3X8
    Cable face pull 3X8
    (I figured out to solve my problem I will just sit on a cable back pull and just pull higher up so it hits the rear delts instead of my back)

I think that would work fairly well. Any comments?
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 07-24-2005 at 11:13 PM.