Thread: Question About Arm Raises

Question About Arm Raises

I was just wondering:
    For a while I was doing both lateral arm raises and front arm raises to work both my posterior and medial (lateral) deltoids during my shoulder workout.

If I were to do 3 or 4 sets of arm raises where I raise my arms at a 45-degree angle between front and to the side do you guys think it would hit both muscles enough?

As a sidenote when I do lateral raises I raise both arms at a time, when I do front arm raises I did one at a time (alternating), and when I do the 45-degree angle ones I go one at a time. I do things this way basically just to stay balanced during the exercise.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Front raises don't hit fully target your poseterior deltoids. You're thinking of anterior. If this is the case, stick with some heavy overhead presses for the anteriors and some side laterals or arnolds for the laterals.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

But aren't Arnold presses considered overhead press?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

arnold is a half lat raise and half dumbbell press, works both the anterior and medial heads of the delts!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

if you really wanna hit the ant. delt even more, do db press with your forearms in front of you (when at eyelevel, your forearms should be parallel).